Bryson DeChambeau Signs with Cobra PUMA Golf

I noticed in a video from a Cobra/Puma e-mail this morning that he is using really large grips that look non-tapered. I didn't notice that at the Masters. Did I miss some talk on his grips? Anyone know what they are?

I've seen some guy at my club with grips that he called "natural grips" or something along those lines that looked very similar. Almost like big SuperStroke putter grips, but on irons.

JumboMax XL grips. He had them on for the Masters

if Cobra puts out 'his' set of irons... im gonna have to try them out
Me too. Same swing and length for all clubs w/ no distance gap? Sign me up.

He stole those jokers off of Moe Norman's sticks.

He is probably a good 50 yards longer off the tee then Moe Norman was.

Here ya go. From earlier in the thread.
How long it takes is anybody's guess, but both parties are working together on it. Midseason is tough, especially with limited events to make enough money to qualify.

From what I've seen from Yagley et al. at Cobra, they seem like a group of guys that would really enjoy digging in and getting this design right. It should be fun to see what they come up with.

He is probably a good 50 yards longer off the tee then Moe Norman was.

Something about not being built like a garden gnome, probably.

I have to say I'm impressed with how Cobra handled that hat. Not that I'm surprised, but I kinda want one now.

I feel bad for Edel. I always root for the small guy, and having BD rep those clubs in a few tour wins could have really grown the Edel brand.

I feel bad for Edel. I always root for the small guy, and having BD rep those clubs in a few tour wins could have really grown the Edel brand.

I look at it this way, he has chosen to be a boutique focused brand (even with as many GolfGalaxy's as they are in, they're still boutique), as such, these are the things that happen when you can't offer what the big OEM's can in terms of $$ and other things as well.

I look at it this way, he has chosen to be a boutique focused brand (even with as many GolfGalaxy's as they are in, they're still boutique), as such, these are the things that happen when you can't offer what the big OEM's can in terms of $$ and other things as well.
Good points.

According to PGATour.com, sounds like he might be putting the Cobra irons into play for the RBC.

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2016/04/13/talking-equipment-with-bryson-dechambeau.html

He's not using them on the range or in his practice rounds if that means anything.

Actually despite whats being misreported by some places, he has two sets with him and is working with R&D to dial in the set that is perfect for him. How long that takes is to be determined.

Hahah. I guess I might actually know a thing or two...:D

Hahah. I guess I might actually know a thing or two...:D

Never a doubt about that :) They didn't mention the irons specifically, and I know he's been playing woods and wedges already, but I assume the pics mean they're going into play(?).

Cobra has been killing it lately in golf technology. I like this signing for both parties. I think most people will view Rickie and Bryson has polar opposites, wheter its true or not. I think Bryson ends up as one heck of a tour player. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Good start for Bryson after 2 rounds at the RBC Heritage. Most important thing: he made the cut, so he's got some money coming his way, since he has to make enough money in his limited starts this year to get into the top 125 to keep his card. But he's done more than just make the cut, right now he's T8 and only 3 shots off of the lead. It would be fun to see him make some noise this week and contend for the title.

Looks like Bryson will be making the cut in his first event as a professional.

Well he can play some stunning golf. 6 birdies, 2 bogeys and a double today. Just needs to try get a bit more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good start for Bryson after 2 rounds at the RBC Heritage. Most important thing: he made the cut, so he's got some money coming his way, since he has to make enough money in his limited starts this year to get into the top 125 to keep his card. But he's done more than just make the cut, right now he's T8 and only 3 shots off of the lead. It would be fun to see him make some noise this week and contend for the title.

This was the big risk IMO for Cobra PUMA. What if he came out, didn't earn enough to make top 125 and then didn't earn a tour card through the process? Ouch. Of course, given his first two professional rounds, I'm liking DBC to secure a tour card with a top 125.

As for single length clubs, if there is any company that can pull it off, it'll be Cobra. They seem just crazy enough mixed with their technical skill and marketing savvy to find a way to launch something. Will it be as customized at BDC's clubs, no probably not, but they might find a way. And heck, competition, different ways to think about the game, possible accessibility, that's good for all of us.

I think PXG could probably pull off a good set of single length assuming you don't mind paying $3000+

Here is what I have learned today. The company and Bryson are working on irons and will be for the next several weeks. He has sets with him and also has his playing set from the Masters. He is practicing with both and they are continuing to work towards getting him his set and all parties believe it will be just a short period.

He is an authentic kid that appears to be ready for this and is really excited about the partnership. He had opportunities as you can imagine and selected his brands for a lot of different reasons.

The hat story is rather interesting in that it was a hat his dad bought him when he was young as the last Hogan hat in the pro shop. He won wearing it early and to make a long story short, says he does not want to change it since it is something his father bought him and he had success with early.

I love these insights. I like him all the more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need the plaid hat!
b579ff3a8b22a90aaf5b58f9d362c2b7.jpg

Plus it changes the image!

Pretty good debut. H/T to Golf Digest for the image:

12990950_10154233056563729_4906235784548010592_n.jpg

Back