Hi Toed Wedges: What’s Your Take?

sVhRjNG.jpg

Love the PM Grind but wouldn't as much without the full face grooves.

Love the PM Grind but wouldn't as much without the full face grooves.

That and the microgrooves cut on a bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t hit one, but they look odd to me. Really like my Vokey’s and doubt I will change. Have to be able to look down and like what you see. Hi-Toe just doesn’t do it for me

Haven’t hit one, but they look odd to me. Really like my Vokey’s and doubt I will change. Have to be able to look down and like what you see. Hi-Toe just doesn’t do it for me

Having had the original PM grind and now on to a hi-toe, the TM looks a lot better to me at address.

Look is growing on me, but would all come down to performance ... Haven't hit them yet but I keep reading the 19 pm grind is the way to go

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Having had the original PM grind and now on to a hi-toe, the TM looks a lot better to me at address.

I think the TM is an exponentially better looking wedge, I’ve played both, both perform great, but the TM’s look SO much better from a flow standpoint.

I have always liked the TM HI-Toe, but it's too pricey for my budget. They're so damn versatile.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Sadly I've yet to try them..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I really don’t have a strong reaction to them either way. They’re just not for me personally, I really don’t ever open the face up on my wedges often enough for a high toe wedge to make sense for me. I actually prefer to not have full fave grooves to help me out with my alignment on all my wedges for most of the shots I hit with them.

I think the TM is an exponentially better looking wedge, I’ve played both, both perform great, but the TM’s look SO much better from a flow standpoint.

This seems to come up a lot, but I just can’t wrap my mind around the “looks” thing being a problem. Way back when, mallet putters “looked” different, but for some they just worked better, and eventually they “looked” fine. Over-sized drivers once “looked like Volkswagens on the end of a stick”. But ultimately they worked better than persimmon and evolved into what we have now, and eventually they “looked” fine too. Point is, looks are ultimately unimportant and perception is subject to change. Performance is the only thing that really matters. If high-toe wedges do in fact prove to be a better option performance-wise, our negative perception will evolve into acceptance.

That said, I know looks breed confidence, and I get it, but at the same time I don’t...just offering food for thought.

This seems to come up a lot, but I just can’t wrap my mind around the “looks” thing being a problem. Way back when, mallet putters “looked” different, but for some they just worked better, and eventually they “looked” fine. Over-sized drivers once “looked like Volkswagens on the end of a stick”. But ultimately they worked better than persimmon and evolved into what we have now, and eventually they “looked” fine too. Point is, looks are ultimately unimportant and perception is subject to change. Performance is the only thing that really matters. If high-toe wedges do in fact prove to be a better option performance-wise, our negative perception will evolve into acceptance.

That said, I know looks breed confidence, and I get it, but at the same time I don’t...just offering food for thought.

Looks matter to people in all areas of life though. Homes, cars, clothes, all kinds of things. So why is it a surprise golf is the same?

Some are lucky to not care about the looks, and I envy them in a way, but aesthetics are a HUGE part of the story still. Confidence is everything, and for some looks are a key part of breeding confidence.

Looks matter to people in all areas of life though. Homes, cars, clothes, all kinds of things. So why is it a surprise golf is the same?

Some are lucky to not care about the looks, and I envy them in a way, but aesthetics are a HUGE part of the story still. Confidence is everything, and for some looks are a key part of breeding confidence.

I'm with you on this. Looks matter so much to me and it took a whole lot to get over the look of the PM Grind. I had zero confidence in it because of that aspect but it proved it's versatility and won a spot. That very rarely happens for me.

The Hi Toe looks better to be from a finish standpoint also. I love the look of that finish.

Never liked the look but I played a PM grind 56° and 60° for a while. I liked them very much, still have them.

Only got away from them due to my greenside bunker trouble. Totally unrelated to the clubs but in my frenzy to find a solution, I did go to the Ping Glide and then the Fourteen RM-22 and RM-22J version.

Kept the PM's because I'm certain that I'll revisit them. New set-up has greatly improved bunker play so they deserve another shot.

No argument here. I just think perceptions are fleeting, and most of us will come to accept innovation that may initially appear unseemly, but ultimately will become commonplace...not that high-toe wedges are that.

I have a PM 56 on the way. I really like the way the club sits and the flexibility of it. I hit some balls at the range with it off grass and liked the turf interaction. I don’t have the club yet because it was a member guest and they are stamping the wedge so I am not sure when it is going to arrive.

1. Testing wedges off store mats is an absolute waste of time. After trying the PMs in the store, I thought they looked weird, felt heavy and I hated the Tour V shaft.

2. Fast forward to now: I play two PMs, think they look and feel great and of course play just as well. And the Tour V is an absolutely fine shaft.

3. The HiToe may look more svelte, but copper finish is hideous and wears way too fast. Side by side, I much prefer the leading edge and looks of my dark finish PMs.

I really like them. I have only played the PM grind (not the new one), but I am really interested in the Hi-Toe from TM.

I like them because I tend to enjoy opening the face a bit and really like having that extra real estate up on the toe to use as that's generally where my ball will hit when I play that shot.

haven't played with one for about a year now though and really looking to get one back either with the new PM grind or the Hi-Toe. Not a fan of the look with the new Ping and the wilson one could be interesting if it makes it to retail, but who knows

its funny, the shape and look down at it actually gives me way more confidence in hitting the shot I am trying to haha. On tight grass, sand, or from the rough.

Honestly to me the looks are the best part. I have tried many lob wedges and they were all skull machines for me. The full face of grooves really makes this club look like it will get under the ball without my help so I don't do stupid stuff subconsciously and put a weird swing on the ball trying to scoop it off the ground.

Honestly to me the looks are the best part. I have tried many lob wedges and they were all skull machines for me. The full face of grooves really makes this club look like it will get under the ball without my help so I don't do stupid stuff subconsciously and put a weird swing on the ball trying to scoop it off the ground.

exactly. its so big/flat when laid open, it seems like I don't have to do anything to hit that high soft shot Im attempting. Where as with my current 60, subconsciously I feel like I need to help it which leads to that nice thin shot to the parking lot.....

Never played the taylormade version, but think it may be the most palatable shape of the ones I’ve seen. My home course is too soft for aggressive grinds, and given my technique for chipping/pitching.
I’d try one of the high bounce ones for sure though.
They get tons of love on tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Testing wedges off store mats is an absolute waste of time. After trying the PMs in the store, I thought they looked weird, felt heavy and I hated the Tour V shaft.

2. Fast forward to now: I play two PMs, think they look and feel great and of course play just as well. And the Tour V is an absolutely fine shaft.

3. The HiToe may look more svelte, but copper finish is hideous and wears way too fast. Side by side, I much prefer the leading edge and looks of my dark finish PMs.

I actually hit the PM19 wedges great off the mats at a Trackman facility, but took it to the course and it was a nightmare.

Pondering a new 58* or 60*. I want to get the TM Big Foot Hi Toe, TM (regular) Hi Toe, and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 a look. I currently reintroduced an older Ping Eye2 LW into the bag. Great out of the sand but struggling in other areas. I love the ponder/search portion of this silly game.

Functional, but man.. She ugly as hell

Back