Hi Toed Wedges: What’s Your Take?

I have the PM grinds and love then. It’s definitely a bigger footprint visually at address, but there isn’t anything i can’t do with these that I can’t do with a traditional blade type wedge.

Out of the greenside bunkers the PM grind is automatic. Inside of 100 the 54 can do anything. One thing I love is that misses tend to be high on the face and towards the toe, so having grinds all the way up there helps with forgiveness on mishits.

I really like the look of them, but have not had the chance to try one out yet.

I initially hated them. Them I tried a PM grind and that changed everything.

I tried to like the PM19 but wasn't to be for me. Too many fat shots, huge divots, just couldn't do it. I still own the Ping Eye 2 wedge in my basement, never could hit that thing either.

I game the 60* PM grind wedge. I don’t use it for full swings typically but it’s so much fun to open up around the green and in green side bunkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a huge fan of how they look, but I think if I tried one, I would enjoy the heck out it.

They just look odd a set-up especially with the grooves running the full width of the face. Never hit any of the current ones though.

The look at address is just SO weird to me. I do think, overall, though the Hi-Toe and PM Grind wedges are some of the best looking wedges on the market, and I'm sure my game could benefit from their features. I think if I had one long enough and got used to the look I could game one in the LW spot. Or, if I ever get a 64, it'll likely have a high toe.

Huge fan - love my PM Grind 60* - out of the sand or hitting flops you don't have to fear that you wont get spin if you make toe-contact.

It did take some time to get used to the spatula-like face, but its amazing.

I played with Hi-Toe wedges in a loaner set about a month ago while on a trip. I can't say I like the look at setup, it's definitely a different look. However, I was very surprises at how well they performed for me. So, since I'm in the market for new wedges playing these has added to my confusion.

They do look a bit strange to me, but I have never had the opportunity hit one yet.

I've always said that I don't care what a club looks like, if it works well for me, I will put it in the bag.

Love my shovel 60 degree PM grind. Automatic on short sided and out of deep rough. Wish they had the same textured grooves as the regular mack daddys.... is the only con for me.

Only ever gamed the PM grind variants but I'm a fan. They offer a ton of versatility and a level of forgiveness for people like my who tend to miss their touch shots out on the toe. Mine's not in the bag at the moment, but it (and my OG PM60) will remain in the not-for-sale pile in the basement as I'm sure it'll make another appearance at some point this year. I know they're offputting to some but I could care less as long as they work for me, which they do. I don't think I'd game one any lower than the lob wedge spot though.

I've not changed my setup forever. I do not have a high-toe wedge, but I do miss my ping eye 2 lob.
The high-toe and the rounded leading edge worked. I'm interested and like the modern options but will likely hold out until next season.

Edit: I like the idea of the Ping Glide 3.0 (eye 2 version), but Callaway's PM Grind19 would be my first option to try, followed by the TaylorMade in raw or chrome. This is for my lob, not sure what I'd change on my 54º.

Last edited:
Absolutely loathe. Something about the way they look down at the ball causes me to swing differently. I just don't care for them in the slightest.

Ugly as hell, but effective when used right. Happy to bag one!

Saw that Corey Holloway at W/S had a picture of the Wilson HT Proto Wedge on Twitter It looked pretty sweet with the shield out on that high toe.

OG pm grind sucked for me but the '19 version is perfect all around for me. I will admit that I like the bronze finish of the TM version better than the chrome look.

I LOVE the Hi Toe wedge - best wedge I have ever owned. I can't wait to get this beauty in the bag:

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 12.09.01 PM.png

Based on my striking lately, I would play high-toed wedges just so i actually make contact with some grooves!

Ugly as hell, but effective when used right. Happy to bag one!

I don’t see anything ugly at all about the new PM. Full-face grooves don’t bother me, high-toe doesn’t bother me, leading edge doesn’t bother me, even though I’m aware of all these things. Love the look of the badge on the back. Only slightly disappointed that the gray finish doesn’t hold up a little better, but that’s my fault, as I’ve recently committed the bulk of my practice time to short game and bunkers.

And as for the most important aspect, overall performance, it’s there. Full, flop, or anything in between, the PM is up to the task.

They're big, they're ugly, they look like they could be used to flip pancakes but by God I love the PM Grind 2.0!

I hated the original and couldn't stand looking at it but the new version is awesome and I've come to appreciate the benefits.

I initially bought a 60 PM Grind for greenside bunkers and kept the rest of my wedges traditional. Then I picked up a 56 PM Grind 2 this year...it’s my most used wedge now. I can hit all the shots with it, full, flop, low runner, half wedge, etc. love it. For anyone on the fence I recommend you get over the looks and just try one. They’re great out of the sand because they give you more area to hit and they work damn well over any other shot.

I generally like them, and think the design concepts are sound. I like the added area on the face for open shots, and the higher CG seems to work as advertised for helping to control ball flight. I still like the clean look of a regular shape wedge overall, the high toe is clunkier. I'm not sure that playing one over the other is actually affecting my scores. More that I like experimenting and enjoy and have good results with both types. I have the original PM grind in 60*, and the PM 2.0 in 54* and 60*. I've not played the TM.

I’ve never tried one. I don’t see any reason to dislike them based on looks. One of these days I’ll have to try one.

I also tend to miss towards the toe in general. So I’d be good with scoring lines out to the toe on all of my clubs...

Back