Hi Toed Wedges: What’s Your Take?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
So, we know the PM grind and the TM Hi-Toe are out there, but it’s also been revealed now that Wilson has a proto version and PING is actually releasing an Eye2 design in the new Glide release which is really the design that started ALL of this with the exception of the full face grooves.

So, what’s your take?

Like them? Why?

Loathe to them? Why?

I will say from the outside looking in...I was like ehhh....but after hitting a PM grind 58 one day I was like wow that is nice. Versatility for dayzzzzz seemed like

I had the Hi-Toe in a 58 and it was the best wedge ive ever used around the green and out of the bunker. There was never a lie I couldn't get out of and always had plenty of spin... I just couldnt get over the look of the full face of grooves. Never had any confidence issues with it, I just hated looking down at it

For some reason they look odd to me. Just not appealing to the eye. Functional yes.

I haven't actually ever hit a hi-toe wedge. The concept makes sense and I'm sure it has a use but at the moment just not in my bag

When i had one in the bag I was a big fan. I could easily play one or could go the other way too. The OG PM grind did give me some confidence in tricky spots around the green, and I had zero issues using it as a full swing club.

I’m a big fan. As someone who spends zero time in the short game practice area, the high toe design gives me some more confidence that even less-than-perfect strikes around the green will still turn out ok. I’ve also noticed that from deep fluffy lies, I live out on that high toe with those types of shots. Maybe it’s my technique, but I’m glad that toe is there.

Not really a fan of the look of the head shape or full face scoring lines but have never tried one so can't really knock it.

I find they all look too big to me. Results are ok but I'm not a crazy shot wedge player

I love my PM grind's!! They do take getting use to the look, but it didn't take me long to get over that. They perform and that is the main thing I am looking for.

I have had the OG PM grind, TM Hi Toe and the 2019 PM Grind. I am a big fan of all of them. No matter what shot I am trying to hit the design just gives me confidence. I full swing my wedges and have no issues at all with these wedges. I have only played the 60 but I am considering adding the 56 as well

I think they make fantastic short game lob wedges. In fact anyone using a lob wedge for this purpose should at least try one out. That said you only need 1 in your bag carrying 2 limits versatility on that SW slot IMO.

I think they make fantastic short game lob wedges. In fact anyone using a lob wedge for this purpose should at least try one out. That said you only need 1 in your bag carrying 2 limits versatility on that SW slot IMO.

Why do you believe that a second wedge of this type decreases versatility?

i like what they do. the edge-to-edge grooves throughout the face do an amazing job. but i absolutely cannot stand the look, and after a few months with one in the bag, i lose more and more confidence each time i put it into play. i just prefer a more traditional tear drop shape.

I don't loathe them but at least in the case of the original Ping models and the more recent Callaway version they just don't work for me. So I don't anticipate trying them in future.

Honestly, though, wedges have so many variations I'd be surprised at either of these:

a) High toe wedges are a fad and disappear from the market in a couple years
b) High toe wedges are the future and eventually almost every wedge on the market will have a high toe

Neither of those seems as likely as the current situation remaining more or less as is. Lots of options for high toe wedges but the majority of wedges still being other shapes.

Why do you believe that a second wedge of this type decreases versatility?

I don't think they are great full swing clubs because the weight is spread too thin. They are really easy to hit high on the face and come up well short of where you intended to hit.

I should say though that's a feature not a bug. That's the reason they are so easy to hit flop shots with.

Last edited:
I had not hit one until early June, had a few chances to hit them from various places around the green and from a few sand traps and I was EXTREMELY pleased with the outcome. I play well from the sand as it is and it could be because these were new wedges, but the spin on the Taylormade were exceptional from the bunkers and that is my bailout when i am trying for a par 5 in two.

I probably hit one of the BEST flops of my life from a horrendous lie on a par 3 with one of the TM HI Toe wedges....believe Jman was a witness to that one

I've really only messed around with them a couple of times but to me it's not the toe so much as I feel like the whole club is just very round. Round leading edge especially makes me feel like I want to scoop the ball. I get that they're for those flop and sand shots, but that's not really what I use my wedges for very often.

I've really only messed around with them a couple of times but to me it's not the toe so much as I feel like the whole club is just very round. Round leading edge especially makes me feel like I want to scoop the ball. I get that they're for those flop and sand shots, but that's not really what I use my wedges for very often.

This rounded look is much less the case with the TaylorMade Hi Toes than the Callaway PM wedges imo.

Never saw anything I liked about them at address. I did have the SureOut for a brief time but it wasn't that odd looking shape.

I just like the traditional wedge and don't have a problem getting the ball in the air.

I would like to see something come out with a high toe but a more traditional leading edge. The TM wedge comes closest out of everything I have seen. I do not like how the leading edge on the PM Grind and the Ping seems to protrude in front of the hosel. It could be a visual thing and it isn't as bad as it looks. The Hi Toe isn't quite as bad. But, I would like to see something with a flat leading edge with similar grinds and the high toe.

I played the original PM grind when it was first released. Trying to use it for anything other than greenside shots was futile. My mind wanted to use the leading edge as my alignment and I would leave the face open and hit these high weak shots that would drop off to the right and go nowhere.

Back