Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Full and partial shots are insanely good with these. Great check up using the 2016 chrome softs and B330s the past couple times out. I'm still getting used to using more bounce on my lob wedge, but it's getting more ingrained the more I use them. For some reason I was quitting on some longer chip shots in my round yesterday, which is not a typical occurrence for me. When you swing confidently though, these wedges just perform. The black finish on them also holds up crazy well. Been in a few bunkers my past couple rounds, and the finish has held up great.

Definitely a superb wedge, I've been dialed in with my 54 W the last few rounds and I wouldn't swap it out. Turf interaction on 3/4 and full shots from tight lies and the rough is fantastic

3 chip ins on the season already with the MD3 60* w grind, and almost pulled one back into the hole from ~65y last time out. The high bounce is throwing me off on some of the tight lies after getting used to 7* of bounce last year; but from the rough, I don't think you can find a better wedge.

I took my 60 W grind into the bunker this morning for some practice. I've been historically bad at bunker shots, but after a lesson with Roger Cleveland and this club I feel like I can hit green side bunker shots all day. Took about 10 balls into the bunker with me, and was 10/10 on hitting nice shots out of the bunker. It really is like cheating using this in the bunker.

The 50 and 55 (bent 56) and I are getting along great. The 60w relationship would be listed as "it's complicated". I'm not a huge fan of the high bounce.

Went to a demo day today and tried four wedges. In order of preference, Ping Glide (ordered a 54 WS and 58 SS), Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB 2 dot, Titleist Vokey SM6 M grind, and Callaway MD3 C, S, and W grind. They are all good clubs that do a lot well. The Glides offered me the best combination of forgiveness and versatility on partial shots. The 588s were stupid, point-and-shoot, automatic easy on full shots but much less so on partials. The Vokeys felt great, but were the least forgiving on full and partial swings. But still, least forgiving in this group was very forgiving, especially compared to my 20+ year old 588. I hit the MD3 in a 58-08 C grind and I was sold - until I found out there is no C grind in 54. Felt great, easy to hit, great results. I tried the S and W grinds but they just did not work for me. I kept popping up my full shots and had more trouble with partial swings. I can see why anyone would be a fan of any of these clubs. The Pings just gave me the best results overall in a very comfortable package.

Finally able to practice on the grass before my rounds this weekend. My resulting shots (particularly today) with full/partial shots into greens were much improved. I think the more I get comfortable with the MD3s the better they are gonna get.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Played a little practice round today, mostly working on dialing in my new MD3s. This was a group of 4 that I hit with my 52* from 100yds.

bd83dea2681aa0963140aab424920693.jpg

I came to these from the Cleveland RTX CB first generation. I was hoping for more distance from a 50 and 54 wedge. My gap tends to be too big from PW to my 50 degree wedge. Right now I think the gap is 15-20 yards, and I am still trying to get comfortable with these. I really wish they had gone with the PM grind design and allowed for the grooves to extend out all the way. It just inspires confidence when you are sitting over that approach, pitch or chip shot.

Last edited:
Noticing a lot higher ball flight with these.
Hopefully that will help with holding greens as they firm up for the summer.

Absolutely love my set. Just trying to get use to how far I hit these things. Yards further than my Vokeys

Absolutely love my set. Just trying to get use to how far I hit these things. Yards further than my Vokeys

I saw the same, but only with the 50*. Not sure if it's due to the progressive grooves or not. Around 5 yards I'd estimate over my SM5.

I saw the same, but only with the 50*. Not sure if it's due to the progressive grooves or not. Around 5 yards I'd estimate over my SM5.
I went from the sm4's to these, and the trouble I am having is between my 60 and 56. I can hit my 56 110-125ish and then my 60 80-100 where that compares to my sm4 52 and 56.

I have been so impressed with these wedges since the first day I put them in the bag. Wedges have always been a weakness of mine due to the steepness in my swing, but particularly with the wide sole 58, my chipping game has never been better. I had three chip/pitches yesterday, nearly holed one (lipped out), knocked a 58 yard shot to ten feet with the 54 degree, and put the last chip to 5 feet from 15-20 yards. It is amazing to be around the green and just be confident of a good shot.

Really liking my MD3 54* so far. Good amount of bounce, and I can open or close it to hit some more specialty type shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the weekend i tried to make some full swings with the 56* instead of trying to take some off of the CF16 AW. I was pleasantly surprised at how full shots felt and really loved the stopping power. I think where i struggled was trying to find the right yardage for full swings and until i found that out it just made for frustrating results. i know that if i have 95 yards or so, i can give it a nice smooth swing and the distance should be spot on. It may be my swing, it may be the conditions and temperatures, but Im not hitting this 56* as long as my previous wedges. Not an issue really, just something that took some getting used to

Over the weekend i tried to make some full swings with the 56* instead of trying to take some off of the CF16 AW. I was pleasantly surprised at how full shots felt and really loved the stopping power. I think where i struggled was trying to find the right yardage for full swings and until i found that out it just made for frustrating results. i know that if i have 95 yards or so, i can give it a nice smooth swing and the distance should be spot on. It may be my swing, it may be the conditions and temperatures, but Im not hitting this 56* as long as my previous wedges. Not an issue really, just something that took some getting used to

me either. they are shorter than what i'm used to. but that's ok, as long as i'm confident what the correct numbers are. ...which i'm not yet lol.

I've had a 52* for the last month and a half and have been very happy with it. Mainly, I'm able to pull off any shot I'm trying to, whether it's a full or partial swing, and I use it a lot for bump and run shots, it works well for me on all of them. It's exactly what I expect out of a gap wedge and has been easy to get used to.

The 54W and I are starting to get along a little better on fullish swings. This spot was previously my 100yd club, and the 54W has taken that spot up nicely. Still working on dialing in those mid range shots, but nothing has been going super great with my game lately. Something I'll continue to work on as I need to have partial swings for all my wedges. This year, I'm adopting more of a 'get as close as possible' mentality instead of my previous laying up to 100 strategy. This wedge will be a bit part of that. I also need to start using it more in soft sand.

I still am a huge fan of these wedges. They really feel great off the face and I feel very confident with them. They continue to perform for me from the 46* to the 56*.

Still fighting that W grind, but now that Callaway pre-owned has these up on their website, might pick up a C grind 60* as well.

With that said though, I chipped in for birdie again this past weekend with them and had a few other real close calls. The touch around the green is there in spades, it's just the wide sole and high bounce on the 60*W that is throwing me off. And after a bunch of rounds now in multiple states/conditions, the finish on the black wedges is still in crazy good shape. You can barely tell they've been used other than the front edge on the 60* which is the only one I use out of greenside bunkers.

Big fan of these wedges! Keep debating on if if should get a 58* to replace my PM grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a better time making full swings with my 56*. Seems like 95 yards is my 100% green light territory and i was able to hit a couple of those approaches in real tight. I love how they feel, i love how it makes the ball dance and im loving how the black finish is wearing. No scratches, just a shiny silver sole

I had a better time making full swings with my 56*. Seems like 95 yards is my 100% green light territory and i was able to hit a couple of those approaches in real tight. I love how they feel, i love how it makes the ball dance and im loving how the black finish is wearing. No scratches, just a shiny silver sole

if the set AW in the CF16's wasn't so damn good I would have another MD3 in the bag to fill that spot. These are all that you need in a wedge and then some.

Finally picked up a 50* and a 60* to round out my set. I went a 1/2" long on both because I felt like the 56 was a little short for me and I'm much more comfortable on full shots with both clubs now. The matte black looks so good and these wedges are straight money.

Back