Most Underrated Driver of 2019

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, we did our mid-way point awards where you gave your thoughts on a myriad of subjects. If you missed that, you can find it here.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/115654-Mid-Way-Point-THPer-Awards

One of the awards was most surprising equipment and it got me thinking about underrated drivers. Really, more so, what it even means anymore. So here is a chance to discuss what is the most underrated driver of 2019 (must be in line for the year) and why you think it is?

TOUR EDGE EXS

For $299 it performs inline with $400 plus drivers

The Srixon 785 Driver doesn’t get enough love...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's the Mizuno ST190 - and maybe it's not so underrated given the recent Tour success, but I think Mizuno really hasn't been on my radar when it comes to woods and I'm really glad I gave them a chance this year because the ST190 flat out performs for me.

Srixon Z785......the brand isn’t known for being bombers clubs but I’ve hit more fairways with it than I have in the past. The looks are awesome on the club and the sound is phenomenal. Easily overlooked in the driver market.

Although I have not tried either, it would almost seem that it has to be the Tour Edge EXS or the Mizuno line. Cobra F9 certainly provides good value, because this year, the majority of those having tried it have concluded it can go toe to toe with Callaway and TaylorMade, the two big boys, at a lesser price, but there has been so much pub, it could hardly be considered underrated at this point. So, I think it has to be one of those offerings that comes in at a lesser price, but still provides somewhat equivalent or equivalent performance to the big names.

TOUR EDGE EXS

For $299 it performs inline with $400 plus drivers

Seconded. I had a lot of fun with this driver in winter league, and the fitter at the local golfUSA claims that the EXS has been the 2nd highest selling driver at his store

Gotta be the TS line. Titliest drivers have a stigma for some reason, but this line performs.

Wilson Staff Cortex is a flat out performer. Many dismiss the brand for recent bargain box store legacy and can't conceive Cortex could stand up with the big boys or be priced as such.

I think the Cortex gets overlooked and it performs well.

My selection I believe will be one of the popular ones. History playes into it and I've often felt the companies driver/woods have been underrated.

Mizuno ST190

Gave Ben Hogan GS53 some thought, but being a newer release it doesn't seem like it has a rating yet.

I haven't tried either one of them out but reading reviews and interest in these drivers I would say the Mizuno ST190 and Tour Edge EXS.

TE EXS is a great driver and deserves consideration.I think they looked at what Wilson was doing with DvD and made a great driver without the tv production cost and priced it aggressively. Wilson has a good club with Cortex but I think they priced it out of most people were willing to pay for a W/S driver. Should get sucked up pretty fast when it fgoes to closeout.

PXG0811XF Gen 2 - highest moi out there. Priced more in line with other major oem offerings. One of the best looking crowns out there too. Sound is incredible.

Taylormade Original Mini Driver. I really enjoy hitting this club. More often than not , I nail it right in the centre of the face which is not the case with my Cobra F9 Speedback. Not quite as long but very close with better control. The price is a little on the high side which is the only negative.

PXG. Distance, sound and just good looking.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff Cortex is a flat out performer. Many dismiss the brand for recent bargain box store legacy and can't conceive Cortex could stand up with the big boys or be priced as such.

Agree that it performs and agree that the general public cant wrap their head around Wilson getting top dollar for a driver. I think they shot themselves in the foot by pricing the club too high.There hasnt been any recent big box activity with W/S in a loooong time. No Dicks love,No Costco, Some balls at Academy and maybe at Target. Not sure what the statutes of limitations are on selling product but these guys should be let out of jail and maybe let Callaway in.. I would hope the folks who are part of THP know the quality goods they produce and apprecaite the attention they give to this group.

I'll throw a vote in for Wilson D7. I think being from Wilson and not having adjustability has firmly put it into the overlooked category. When you consider the performance and premium shaft that it offers, it's definitely underrated.

Srixon 785 driver! More people should put them in the mix during fittings...

I have to throw my vote to the Mizuno ST190. It's long, forgiving, great looking, and has one of the nicest headcovers I've seen in awhile. I thought nothing could push my Ping G30 out of the bag, but I can't say no to the ST190.

Powerbilt TPX 4.0, does that count?

Otherwise, TEE EXS

Tour Edge Exotics EXS. Don't have enough time with the Hogan GS53 to make that call yet.

Tour Edge EXS.

EASILY.

I haven't played any others since my surgery but the Wilson Cortex is a fantastic driver worth every consideration. Very unfortunate that it's seldom in the conversation when drivers are discussed.

Back