Limited flight golf balls at range

rozo22

Reaction score
Handicap
I stopped a range nearby my house yesterday and they have limited flight golf balls. While I liked getting the swings in, it was hard to gauge how well I was hitting them. They had distance markers out there, but seems like it would through you off since the club it would take to get there wouldn't be what you would use on the course. What are the best ways to practice with limited flight balls? Contact and flight?

the only time I wold worry about distance is if I'm trying to force or correct a ball flight. I think that would really hurt my ability to tell what's going on. On a contact front, I think I would be able to at least tell if I had good, thin, fat, toe, or heal shots on heavily muted balls.

I don't go to the range much, when I do I pretty much ignore distance. I look for contact and flight, did I hit it flush, and did it go the height and direction I intended.

A buddy's home course uses limited range balls but set the distance markers to correct for the limited flight. The '150' marker is probably closer to 100 if you lasered it. Whenever I play with him there his range completely messes with my head.

The Owner of the driving range near my office insists that the range balls he has "fly just like a ProV1". mmmmmmmmnotsomuch.

But as others have said, if the range balls are not premium range balls, I just concentrate on my mechanics, impact, etc. Almost completely ignore distance.

They are for warming up. not serious practice. I suppose you could say the same for crappy full distance range balls.

The range I practice at uses limited flight balls mostly in an effort to keep balls from flying over the fence and onto the road. I’ve simply gotten used to how far the range balls fly in relation to game balls so I can judge distance that way. I’ve also found the balls have a much bigger effect the farther you hit the ball - for example I notice virtually no difference on my wedges.

I go to the range regularly. Our range's distance markers are not accurate by a range finder, but they are calibrated for the limited flight balls and slope. 150 is really more like 132 but with their balls if it goes 132 it would go about 150 with a real ball.

That being said, I never worry about distance at the range, I'm working on my swing. I work on getting the ball to go straight, or shape the way I want.

Whiskey

Limited flight balls have a different feel. I don't like them.

My range doesn't use limited flight balls. But simply allows far too many of their balls to wear down beyond practical use.
id rather have limited flight balls vs many the "ping pong" balls that too often end up in our range buckets. Ive seen balls actually turn left and right in the same flight...lol or "knuckle ball" their way through the air. Well hit balls can do anything from ballooning to producing a looong flyer and ior go just about any direction you can think of, not even to mention what some the more poorly struck ones will do. Sometimes its comical.

When ever Ive got a bucket I try to hit the most worn balls shortest clubs since the dispersion is less so that when I get to the longer clubs I have a better idea (via the better half of balls)where they are going.

Concentrate on strike, technique and tempo, not distance... especially with 3/4 shots- wedges, short irons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never go to a range that uses limited flight balls for practice.
My home course has a lake for a range and of course uses floater balls and hitting from mats.
I do not go there to practice. I only use that range to hit a few warm up balls before a round.
When I want to practice, I go across the street from my course to another course that has real balls from real grass.
I cannot practice well if I don't know how far and how high the ball is traveling.
I might as well be hitting balls into a tarp or net.

Back