Swing thoughts for Algernon..

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
What I mean is: I made some good gains. Swing changes, couple of lessons and lots (and lots) of time practicing. I practice way more than I play now. I felt like I was able to hit the ball solidly...REPEATEDLY. Even (dare I say it) consistently. I'm never gonna break course records, but I want to reach the point of scoring in the 90's consistently and threating 80 every once in a while. Mostly I just want to play golf and not 'golf swing' every time out.

I felt like, after 30+ years of playing this game (since I was 7) I was finally getting there. Then, as always, it disappeared. Bad rounds, bad practices...lots of frustration.

Here's the Algernon part: I find it very difficult to enjoy the game losing balls and kicking it around at 115 after puring shots and nearly breaking 80. I know some rounds are better than others and I'll (hopefully) find it again but... how do you set expectations to not get frustrated while regressing? Because it isn't fun now, and I desperately want it to be.

You have to believe that is will come back and have a very open mind about it. I have watched my HC steadily rise this year and it is frustrating, but I know it is just a matter of time and it will return. Play relaxed and don't pressure yourself to shoot a certain score.

first off, the flowering of great literary references must continue.

Recently I had a major major regression (added 9 points the wrong direction to my handicap virtually overnight) due to outside forces I had no control over. For me, what kept me, and your mileage may vary, was two-fold; 1, it was the people I golf with, just enjoying hanging out with them, and 2, I completely switched what clubs I used.

What I mean by that is I have long been a firm believer in playing mathematically correct (what will, over time, give me the lowest score). But when I could not keep balls in play, I started Highlandering clubs til I got to the point I was teeing off with a 9i on every hole. EVERY hole. 600 yard par 5? Here comes the 9i. 97 yard par 3 (and yes, Black Butte Glaze Meadow has one)? 9i. It was basically the only club I believed I could keep in play on the widest of holes.

Slowly I learned to score "okay" with that and added an 8i, worked my way back up. But even when I was mostly recovered, could not swing a wedge. I was bumping and running from 140 in. I actually hit one shot directly left from 10 yards off the green just to avoid having to try a wedge over the sand.
Eventually the game came back to me and I was able to enjoy it all again. For me the moment was when I went back to my instructor and in one lesson he corrected a bad move that worked its way in during rehab and I am back to feeling like I can hit any shot at any time. But until I got there, the path that worked for me was basically becoming a 1-club wonder.

May work for you, may not, but hopefully at least the idea is of some value

I don't have the answer, wish I did.

I fail often, but I'm trying hard to forget about the score and what could or should be.
Focus on the setting up to make the best shot, and then let a routine take over.
Assess it after and decide what amendments to approaching the shots might help.

I always play better after a break from golf. I do not wish to take breaks but a refreshed attitude seems to elevate my enjoyment.

Stop keeping score. Do what El Weaselo said. Play one club, just for s***s and giggles. I've played my last two executive course rounds with nothing but an 8i, because I want to just concentrate on hitting the ball. Make it a game again, play like a kid, do dumb stuff. Grab some friends and just have fun. Here's an example: get 3 friends. You all just bring an 8 iron. You rotate hitting with each other's club every shot. Have a beer or six. Life's too short to get bummed out by a game.

Come in with zero expectations. Expectations are game killers. Instead focus on the process, such as a pre shot routine, a solid course management, etc...

Enjoy the game and accept the results of each shot.
Forget about the bad shots and relish the good ones.

You’ll enjoy it more and find your scores will lower and the game will be what it was intended to be. Fun for us amateurs.

Without seeing you play it’s hard to know what to tell you. Golf is so mental...But my suggestion is...Think “swing” instead of “hit”. Keep the swing smooth with an even tempo by slightly relaxing just prior to the shot. The ball isn’t going anywhere so don’t be in a hurry with your swing...

You might see if you can find an instructor who will play a round with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I mean is: I made some good gains. Swing changes, couple of lessons and lots (and lots) of time practicing. I practice way more than I play now. I felt like I was able to hit the ball solidly...REPEATEDLY. Even (dare I say it) consistently. I'm never gonna break course records, but I want to reach the point of scoring in the 90's consistently and threating 80 every once in a while. Mostly I just want to play golf and not 'golf swing' every time out.

I felt like, after 30+ years of playing this game (since I was 7) I was finally getting there. Then, as always, it disappeared. Bad rounds, bad practices...lots of frustration.

Here's the Algernon part: I find it very difficult to enjoy the game losing balls and kicking it around at 115 after puring shots and nearly breaking 80. I know some rounds are better than others and I'll (hopefully) find it again but... how do you set expectations to not get frustrated while regressing? Because it isn't fun now, and I desperately want it to be.

When you find out, LMK.

I am in the midst of a regression, after lots of practice, playing and lessons, as you have. It is disheartening to miss your "go to" shots, hitting safe shots poorly, missing 3' putts, etc.

But the grind continues.

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt, then lost that, too. Was recovering after surgery, handicap back down, now the last month, can't hit straight and long for shizzle. Handicap up 6. Taking a few days off, maybe some rest will renew my game. Or at least get the back working without tightness.

Back