Golf Attire to Prevent Skin Cancer - Is enough being Done?

I have a serious question, do we make too much out of skin cancer and golf? I have friends that have had skin cancer cells removed from their faces and chest but have done nothing different in covering up. So I'm just wondering if a bigger deal is made of it then needs be. Just asking because I'd like to know more.

Good question ... I play a lot in a retirement community, and those folks take it more seriously, then what I see outside of that community ...

Oddly my damage was done growing on the Texas coast ... I was at the beach, fishing, or some other outdoor activity in my younger years ... so I can not even blame golf (did not start playing until my late 40's).

I am now a wide brim hat guy, with solar sleeves on the really hot sunny days ... I have tested positive for cancer and had it removed and I go to doc every 3 months ... normal visit is at least one biopsy, and numerous freezes ...

Like others have mentioned my damage was done as young man ... so, I contend we do not make enough about sun damage and golf to the younger crowd. I don't see much info on skin cancer on golf TV or magazines, etc ... (admittedly don't read golf magazines)

Interested to hear others feed back ...

How does the golfer skin compare to neutrogena? I have been using neutrogena the past few years and it has been great thus far.

For those that just rely on just sunscreen, it's a good idea to to make sure that what you use is labeled as 'broad spectrum'. This means that it offers protection from both UVa and UVb light. (UVa light is not filtered by the earth's ozone and penetrates deeper into the skin. SPF rating only measures UVb light)

Here's a link to a short article on sunscreen in Time magazine.

Sunscreens can be difficult to formulate. Throw in they're often exposed to high temperatures (golf bag, left in trunk during summer) and they can begin to separate. Always a good idea to give them a good shake or two before applying.

I'm not a dermatologist or any kind of an expert and I'm a proponent of using sunscreen and use it myself; but it doesn't appear to be a magic elixir for preventing skin cancer. Even though we use a lot more sunscreen than a decade or two ago, skin cancer rates are ever increasing. Not inferring that sunscreen itself leads to cancer, but maybe it gives us a false sense of security. Sunscreens are very effective at preventing sunburn when applied properly, but sunburns aren't the only thing that can lead to skin cancer.

I looked into the bucket hats at spivey's recommendation, but found they didn't offer as much protection as I would like. The front of the hat typically offers less protection than the standard cap.

I have since found an amazing safari hat by Taylormade. I have tried several hats but found the lack of adjustability makes them fly off my head in the wind and the larger brim interferes with my swing. Not this hat!

http://www.amazon.com/TaylorMade-Sa...987029&sr=8-1&keywords=taylor+made+safari+hat

This hat comes in two sizes and is adjustable! You can sinch it tight and it will stay on even in the heaviest wind. As for interfering with your swing, I have yet to hit this hat in my swing.

The sun coverage is awesome. It has a wide brim all the way around and then an extended brim for the back of the neck. I have yet to play a round without this hat since receiving it. I suggest everyone who cares about their skin check it out!

I have a serious question, do we make too much out of skin cancer and golf? I have friends that have had skin cancer cells removed from their faces and chest but have done nothing different in covering up. So I'm just wondering if a bigger deal is made of it then needs be. Just asking because I'd like to know more.

This i found out after going to the dermatologist after having a circle like growth on my left leg that i knew i had it but basicly ignored it ..... i was diagnosed with basil cell carcinoma and had a surgical procedure 2 weeks later and because it was cancer my risk to have another cancerous growth else where automaticly raised to at least 50 % and higher in certain areas and even though cancer on the leg sounds minor in nature it could lead to something inside the body and the dermatologist said if i want to be outside for extended period in the sun i MUST cover my head and neck , wear long sleeve sun resistent undershrts , and long pants instead of shorts and even though i hate sunscreen and rarely use it i may be stuck applying it to open areas ....

i will tell you this .. i as a rule for me listen to most long term medical advise and i for the most part made it 59 years with that ... but cancer is another story .. even though the risk sound small doing something to prevent a reacurrence of cancer just is a common sense no brainer decision

and one last thought ..when it comes to medical advise .. take it with a grain of salt and make a informed decision with help from a medical professional cause everyones situation and outcome is different

I use SPF 70 Neutrogena that is spray on. Super quick, dries fast, can reapply during round and not get on your hands. Before the round I take my shirt off and spray all of my upper body and legs. During round, I'll spray my legs and arms, back of neck, front of neck/chest.
For my face, I use a thin feel SPF 50 at the beginning, and wear a hat.
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the spray on sunblock...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I bring large umbrella and hat. I usually seldom play golf at full sunshine day.

I played, for the first time, with a Tilley hat (mid sized brim). It took some getting used to, but I know it did a good job protecting my head, ears, face, and neck.

I usually wear it when I'm doing yard work or something like that.

For golf, I prefer something with a bit less structure, so I might try out an Outdoor Research Helios.

Back