Why I hate playing alone

lazychicken

Reaction score
Handicap
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I hate playing alone. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]There are two reasons for this. The first is just simply needing another set of eyes to track where my ball went down. I can always see it in flight just fine, but my aging eyes don’t always see it down. Usually it’s fine when I’m on my own, it’s just a tad bit more stressful than if I have a playing partner watching with me. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]BUT, the other reason I hate playing alone is the big one. And this bit me again yesterday. I hate playing alone because that’s when the truly magical things seem to happen and I don’t have a witness. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Yesterday at my home course my usual partner had to beg out at the last minute for a work emergency. I decided I would at least play a few holes on my own and then maybe hit the range for some practice. On the par 4 hole #1 I hit a mediocre drive, then a really nice second shot that put the ball center of the fairway about 50 yards out. The pin was on the front of the green and I’ve been working quite a bit with controlling my distances and stopping the ball with my 58, so this looked like another good opportunity to practice some more. Lined up, picked my target slightly short of the hole, hit a really pretty shot up in the air, AND.....[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]....SWISHED THE HOLE for birdie. It dropped in the hole right next to the pin like that’s where it belonged. Made a wonderful sound. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]And I just stood there hardly believing what I just watched...what I just did. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]And then I immediately started looking around for witnesses. The guys hitting on #2 had just driven off and weren’t watching. The guys behind me were a fivesome and they were still getting themselves organized back on the tee box. The club’s shirt game practice area was to my left, and there were some people out there including some people I knew, but literally every person was turned the other way. Our club has bent grass greens and it was 95F in Texas yesterday, so normally you can expect some course workers nearby getting ready to spray down the green...but no, there was nobody. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I texted my buddy who bailed on me and told him what happened. He was impressed, but it’s not the same thing as celebrating in person. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So anyway, I’m telling you guys what happened. And I SWEAR it really happened. And I’m not nearly good enough for this to be a normal expectation so my being impressed with my shot really means something![/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Anyway, other than those two reasons, I don’t mind golfing alone. Golf just somehow picks my alone times for the really unbelievable shots. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Later, on the par 3 #7, I absolutely flushed my shot. As it sailed through the air, all I could think was “OF COURSE I’ll get my first friggin’ hole in one today with nobody around. OF COURSE that would happen.” [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](It didn’t. And I ended up 3 putting for bogey.)[/FONT][/FONT]

It happens and will happen again. Congrats to you.

I play alone about half my rounds and having no issues in hitting the great shot like you did. It would be the HIO or albatross that would disappoint me for not having a witness. I actually had one of each, alone, over 20 years ago but don't boast about them because nobody but me saw them. I did take the balls out of play and kept them because at least I know they happened even if not officially.

This thread is interesting because I was looking at tee times for this week and was trying to find one that I know will be empty. I hate playing with strangers. Golf used to be a game of honor. Doesn't matter if anyone saw your great shot.

There is nothing better than having the course to yourself. If I was a billionaire I'd build my own course and the only others on it would be my staff of greens keepers and then they would only be allowed on the 9 I'm not on.

I rarely play alone.

I did play on my own last Saturday evening, thought I’d had a hole in one with the ugliest knifed wedge. Walked down the hole praying it wasn’t in, massive relief to see it through the green.

Sounds like it was an incredible experience. If you look at it from the other side, perhaps it was better that you were playing alone. That's how the tall tales begin.

If you we playing with someone else, you wouldn't have told the story here, or to your kids, and they to their kids, and so on, and so on.. Make the best of it and keep making magic!

Me too. I'd rather go to the range or spend time with the family than play along or with people I don't know. But the great thing about this site is when you do and something awesome happens during your round you can always come in here and let your internet friends know about it!

I'd blame your partner. Lay it all on his shoulders. His fault that your glory was stolen. :rockon:

(BTW, I know both of the people involved...)

I play alone often. My irrational fear is that I’ll get an ace with no one around to see it. I’ve been within an inch or two a few times.

Its official!...the Golf Gods saw it!

I hate playing alone because #1 - USGA doesn't recognize your score. That means no HIO, no eagles, nothing. #2 I always get stuck between a slow foursome and a fast twosome. #3 The club books large groups in the mornings and I get stuck playing in the heat of the day.

Haha great shot!!

I’m mortified at the idea of making a hole in one playing by myself.

BTDT. Hole 10 Pine Lakes Mt Gilead OH. 267 yard par 4 (in name only) to boot. I did have my young son with me. Didn’t see it go in since it was uphill. Got up there and couldn’t find it behind the green. Walked over to the cup after I virtually eliminated any other possibility. Yup!

Looked around and there was a kid mowing 40ish yards away. I frantically flagged him down and asked if he saw it. Nope.

Hole 13 (or 14?) was a 175 yard par 3. I hit an 8i to three feet directly behind the flag, and watched it pop back and go right over the hole. I was almost relieved that it didn’t go in as no one would have ever believed me. How it didn’t is a mystery as the pitch mark and the ball were dead center on line with the flag.

Speaking of, after the round as I was dropping off the keys to the cart and I showed the guy working there counter my scorecard and he was very dubious of it stating something like “well, a real golfer would never lie about something like that- would he?” Right about that time another worker came in and said to the guy at the counter “hey that’s the guy I was telling you about!” That guy had watched me hit a great drive and I drove a severely uphill 300 yard par 4. He drove off before witnessing me 3 putt from 30 feet, lol.

The guy at the counter totally changed his tune then and started congratulating me. So at least it felt a little more legitimate then. I count it but I didn’t send it in for anything. I know it happened, my little guy knows it happened (he even remembers, when I ask him about it he says “yeah that was when you were really happy” :) Ive got a really cool pic of him eating his hotdog from the turn, wearing spongebob crocs, and pointing st the ball in the hole. And that’s good enough for me.

I tend to golf alone as I play very early or solo on vacation. I’ve never had a HIO, but I’ve come very close. A few of my best shots have come while playing solo and fortunately, my two best have been witnessed. I hit the flagstick on a 206 yd. par 3 9th hole while on vacation and the guy in the pro shop was out having a smoke. As I passed, he said,”awesome shot, if you had hoped it, I would have signed as your witness”. Another time, I holed out from the fairway on a par 5 for my first ever eagle. As I walked up, a cart pulled up and the guy said, “you just holed that one”. He was actually the PGA pro for the course and wound up playing along with me for the final 6 holes. I usually stop in and chat with him whenever I play the course, now, which is about once a year and he always remembers me and that shot.

I played alone for the first time ever earlier this week. price was cheaper then a extra large bucket at the range so i said what the heak. i didnt hit any spectacular shots but did have my 2nd best round ever. but im not going to count it as my 2nd best round nor did i log it to my spreadsheet. prob wont do it again, i prefer the camaraderie with the group.

I don't really care at all when it comes to witnesses for anything. we all know what we did and when we did it. Just means nothing to me if anyone seen it or not. But that said, I too do not like playing alone. Main reason as you said is trying to find the ball. Im known believe it or not to walk right past my ball in the middle of the freaking fairway. Im just terrible ball tracker and I get so fixated on trying to find that I tend to over look. Ive stood around looking and all the while the ball was just feet from me. I also have no patience to look for my own ball. I hate it. I often spend more time helping others than I care to even bother with for my ownself . On another note I can get somewhat annoyed with those who just wont give up searching like someone is going to die if they lose one and have to drop one.

The other reason is that I like "most" company on the course. yea once in a while you end up with a boneheaded idiot. But that's rare and I find playing mostly as a single that most people I end up with are good company. Rounds are simply better when a few good people can have some laughs. It just more enjoyable. At least most times anyway.

I usually play with a group or another guy, but there are times that I don't mind playing alone especially when I starting to play poorly and sometimes have no earthly idea what I'm doing. It's those time I don't need any witnesses.:embarrassed:

That's really cool and I can relate as I play maybe half of my rounds alone.

Always better to share with a friend, their accomplishments and your own. But I love golf so much and hate mornings to equal heights () so my preferred early afternoon tee time is usually barren of golfers.

Unintended seclusion, I just prefer the time.

I enjoy playing golf with others, but I also value playing a round of golf as a soloist. It's quiet, peaceful, and kind of meditative. If I hit a good shot, or what have you, and no one is there to witness it, that's okay as I witnessed it. I don't talk about my rounds of golf anyway...be they good bad or indifferent...as I am of the view that no one really cares, lol.

What Sean said

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I enjoy playing golf with others, but I also value playing a round of golf as a soloist. It's quiet, peaceful, and kind of meditative. If I hit a good shot, or what have you, and no one is there to witness it, that's okay as I witnessed it. I don't talk about my rounds of golf anyway...be they good bad or indifferent...as I am of the view that no one really cares, lol.

+1.....

I usually play about 1/2 my rounds alone and have done so for many years. I have a few groups I will play with semi regularly and don't mind getting paired up. However, today was an exception. Played with a couple of guys that were nice enough, but we were constantly looking for their wild shots. It was virtually ever hole. They gave me a little grief at first because I was walking and they "hoped" I could keep up. I guess that they needed the extra help in the weeds. After a while, I just went to my shot as I was usually 30-40 yard further up the fairway. Plus I wanted to make sure I didn't hold them up any.

BTDT. Hole 10 Pine Lakes Mt Gilead OH. 267 yard par 4 (in name only) to boot. I did have my young son with me. Didn’t see it go in since it was uphill. Got up there and couldn’t find it behind the green. Walked over to the cup after I virtually eliminated any other possibility. Yup!

Looked around and there was a kid mowing 40ish yards away. I frantically flagged him down and asked if he saw it. Nope.

Hole 13 (or 14?) was a 175 yard par 3. I hit an 8i to three feet directly behind the flag, and watched it pop back and go right over the hole. I was almost relieved that it didn’t go in as no one would have ever believed me. How it didn’t is a mystery as the pitch mark and the ball were dead center on line with the flag.

Speaking of, after the round as I was dropping off the keys to the cart and I showed the guy working there counter my scorecard and he was very dubious of it stating something like “well, a real golfer would never lie about something like that- would he?” Right about that time another worker came in and said to the guy at the counter “hey that’s the guy I was telling you about!” That guy had watched me hit a great drive and I drove a severely uphill 300 yard par 4. He drove off before witnessing me 3 putt from 30 feet, lol.

The guy at the counter totally changed his tune then and started congratulating me. So at least it felt a little more legitimate then. I count it but I didn’t send it in for anything. I know it happened, my little guy knows it happened (he even remembers, when I ask him about it he says “yeah that was when you were really happy” :) Ive got a really cool pic of him eating his hotdog from the turn, wearing spongebob crocs, and pointing st the ball in the hole. And that’s good enough for me.

Sounds like you had a witness.

The club’s shirt game practice area was to my left,

that must be a fancy club to have a shirt game practice area...

congrats on the birdie dude. Enjoy them whether other people see it or not

I enjoy and hate playing alone.

I enjoy it, because I play at my pace, and for some reason, I ALWAYS score better alone. That is the reason I hate it as well. I will go to a course, play by myself, tell my buddies I put up a good score, then when we all go play the same course, I will stink it up.

Back