Leather Headcover, LoPan Style

Very nice work! Let me know when you're taking orders.
LOL, you'd be better off talkin' to the pros!
I didn't even bother calculating how much these "cost" me to make...materials wise, well lets see...
But time...What you don't see in the pictures are the several times I pulled out several inches of stitching because it was uggggly and jacked. I'll always be able to see the tiny holes that are left from thouse ;)
But material was
$14 for orange leather: Picture was after taking out the driver headcover, probably enough for 2 or 3 more after my hybrid and fairway, depending on size.
$20 for ivory leather: Much bigger than I needed, but smallest partial hide they had in that color. couple of surface imperfections made it cheaper too. Could make several with this as the main color...might do that for christmas for a couple buddies...
<$10 for the fleece
~$4 for elastic
~$10 for 4 spools of thread
~$10 for random other things I didn't have or ran out of

So, $70-$80 for materials, and time-wise, alot was spent on sizing and test covers (using vinyl), so it will probably be 4-5 hours to make a new one with all the stuff I learned from the first, which took a few days.

Finished the Hybrid cover! I intended the middle panel to be thinner...didn't realize how wide I'd made it until I was done though. I'm considering re-doing the hybrid later if I have enough leather leftover...
IMAG1341.jpg
IMAG1340.jpg
IMAG1336.jpg

Here's where I put the double sided tape on prior to stitching...
IMAG1339.jpg

Here's the fairway, and finished set! Updating the OP too.
238ee286670651a0fb61aba775e99edb.jpg

bf8d8e4757e7174ccd7897774b3fed84.jpg

cd2b7489255bf30b239f23e9d8f79888.jpg

a37c98fe218f7602afa42ff74b641590.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Awesome work! Works at a nuke plant and is a sewing machine pro too!

Great looking set LoPan. Now that all of the hard work is (mostly) done you should be able to produce several more sets over winter.:D

Ever thought about doing a putter cover?
I might. But I have a blade cover, and that requires the use of piping around the edges to keep its shape...and that would be another new technique that'd I'd have to figure out. I've got plenty of leather left over, so I'm sure it'll happen eventually! If anyone has any tips for making a mallet putter cover, I'm all ears!!

Updated the OP with a link to the patterns I made! Feel free to post if you have any questions!

Hmmm... Should I make an alignment stick cover... Just because I have the leather? I would never buy on on my own....

Yes you should! They look great why not add to it!

Dang nice work man!

So...I tried to make an alignment stick headcover. I didn't take pictures going through, as I wasn't sure what would work, and I ended up trying a couple different things. This one won't be permanent, so if I do make a version 2.0, I'll get pictures.
Material:
4.5" by 13" leather piece
4.5" by 12.25" fleece
bits for decoration on top.

1. Found centerline, and top-stiched argyle design onto panel. The diamonds were double side taped on, and I did the two long cross stitches first. Then stiched the border of the diamonds down. I did this hoping that the stitches would act as a more solid tac-weld, holding it in place and aligned better than just the tape could.

2. Then I taped the fleece to the back of the panel, with horizontal pieces spaced an inch apart. I knew I'd be moving the whole thing around alot before it would be stiched, so I didn't want it shifting all over. I cut it shorter than the leather, because I didn't want a double layer of fleece underneather the bottom hem.

3. I folded over the bottom hem, and stitched that down.

Here's where I had to play around. Two larger companies have approached this in two different ways. Due to the diameter of the cover sleeve, sewing the seam all the way down, and then inverting it like a sock, is very difficult. Infact, I'm sure that if I had made it smaller, to fit the sticks more snugly, it would have been impossible. That's why one comapny sews the top seam, and then only a couple inches down the back, inside out. Then its flipped right-side out, and the rest of the back seam is sewn with the raw edges out.
Another company starts out the same, but then sews the two edges flat, through the front of the panel, and calls it a feature! Very clever! Each stick gets its own slot!
Option 1; I didn't like much, because it's an exposed raw edge. I'd have to trim it very carefully after sewing to make it look good.
Option 2; I tried, and I didn't have it lined up perfectly, so the exposed stitches on the front panel weren't straight up and down. I had to sew with the front down, so that I could make sure to get the whole edge. In retrospect, I could have overlapped the two edges, and sewed with the front up, and then trimmed the back clean. Dang hindsight.

So, Step 4. Fold the cover, fleece out, so that both long edges meet in the middle. Leave some sticking up, so it looks like a T from the end. The long raw edges will meet be like a tab, jutting from the otherwise flattened cover. I used tape again, on the top-most seam, and along a few inches of the back seam.

5. Sewed down the back center seam. I went far enough to clear my design on the front (or so I thought). Then I trimmed off most of the seam allowance

6. Sewed the top seam, and then turned the whole thing right-side out.

7. I tried to sew down the middle, like in option two. But it ended up crooked on the front, and I pulled it. I tried again with a zig zag...and failed again. Now I had two sets of holes (picture link) in the front of the cover...I know they're hard to see in the photo, but they're there, and they look awful to me, because I know they are there. Which is why this probably won't stay.

8. Because the double pocket design needed more width, I started out with a wide cover. I gave up ater the second try, and went with a single sleeve. I cut off enough of the long edges (maybe a 1/4" from each side). Since I still didn't like the concept of Option 1, and sewed it all the way down. It was a struggle to turn it right-side out afterwards, but I managed, because it ended up being a little too wide for the purpose, so I had enough room to do the flip.

Lessons learned:
1. I only had the fleece to use as a liner material. This made it larger than if I had a very thin liner. Sticks don't need fleece, obviously. But its what I had. Perhaps I'll line version 2 with regular cotton or something, whatever I have lying around.

2. Sew with what will be the Show-side visible for Option 2, and trim the back. Or line up and tape it. Or something. I totally screwed it up. Will find a better way.

3. Why is this even a thing? The only reason I keep the sticks in the bag, when playing, is to have a place to stick other headcovers when I'm using the club and a second players towel if I decide to bring one! The idea of a headcover, for my headcover holder, is mildly amusing though.

I wonder if there's anything else I could use this fancy leather sleeve for...any ideas?

IMAG1391%25255B1%25255D.jpg
IMAG1392%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Teaser:
842010be4d954050ada686ded4dbdefb.jpg

​Awesome work!

Nice work man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

And done.
5e141603546fab479bfa86fef3bb846d.jpg

Nah. Mad skills wold have been the question block, and the mushroom not taking several hours. Each.

Back