Ping Eye 2 or New Set for getting into sport

dhealz

Reaction score
Handicap
I'd like to get into golf, I'm 44 male and have never played.

Plan to plan to play a few times a month, plus some range time.

I have access to a set of of Ping eye 2 (Red Dot) Irons.

My question is, would I be better off with this set and filling in Driver and Hybrids

Or

Go to a complete set like the Callaway Strata 16pc 2019.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I'd take whatever is cheaper and put the rest into lessons. Golf is an expensive sport, so the quicker you can avoid hitting a dozen balls into the thick stuff every time you go out, the more you will enjoy it. Good luck, and glad to have you here!

Also check with friends and family. Sure someone has old clubs they don't use. I started with a hodge podge set that did the job for a year while I learned.

Just I thought that came to mind after reading your post.. it sounds like you have hit or at least picked up the Pings? I suppose if it were me I might ask myself how do I hit these clubs now? How confident am I with them? Do they feel awkward or do feel nice? Since you are just starting out there might be some value in using the irons you have ("access to") and focus on shopping for woods and a putter. Otherwise you might be forced to make a compromise on a complete set only to end up wanting/needing to replace parts of that set later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I do not think a set of Ping Eye2 irons will harm the development of a new player. The shafts are probably quite light and stiff which means they will feel a bit harsher on mishits than some modern shaft options.

I own a set of Ping Eye 2's and play them from time to time. For my game (17 hcp, not a beginner but not very good either) the only drawback is the leading edge is a bit sharper than some of the Super Game Improvement type clubs nowadays. So they aren't quite as resistant to digging in. But it's pretty minor, I'm not talking a sharp leading edge like blades or "player's" irons with very thin soles. The Eye 2's were meant to be very forgiving and they are.

So I think you ought to use the Eye 2's. If the Red Dot is too flat for you, someone can probably bend them upright for $25 or so.

Let's of very good golfers cut their teeth on Ping Eye 2's. You certainly can do it as well.

Last edited:
The Eye2's, all day long. :good:

The Eye2 are legendary. Now, they won’t be as long as the modern irons, but they’re a fantastic set imo to learn the game on.

I think there is something to be said for the new tech in irons. If the clubs are more than 5 years old your giving something up.
Which might make it more enjoyable to learn.

Nothing wrong with the Pings they are great clubs.

JMHO
Peace

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I still have my Ping Eye 2 irons and putter from days gone by. I pull them out once or twice a year.

My question is, would I be better off with this set and filling in Driver and Hybrids

Or

Thanks in advance.

No matter what you choose, you will probably upgrade when you get better. If the Pings have good grips go with those. The Strada's aren't bad, but I would go with the Costco Callaway Edge package. No bag, but includes a nice Odyssey White hot putter and decent woods.
And take some lessons, preferably from somebody that knows what they are doing. Wasted multiple dollars on lessons for my wife on a coach that was clueless. Now we spent probably $200 more on a good coach, and she is hitting it a ton now. Just a thought.

Or

Thanks in advance.

Lessons, driving range practice, lessons, driving range, repeat. The swing is the thing, not the clubs.

Lessons, driving range practice, lessons, driving range, repeat. The swing is the thing, not the clubs.

Ohhh, so he shouldn’t buy a set of clubs then????

I’d say get some clubs first and then start some lessons or practice. Hard to hit balls....without clubs....

If the ping eye 2s are cheap and available, I’d say go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohhh, so he shouldn’t buy a set of clubs then????

I’d say get some clubs first and then start some lessons or practice. Hard to hit balls....without clubs....

If the ping eye 2s are cheap and available, I’d say go for it!

This made me lol. I have never understood why some people consider new clubs and practice mutually exclusive. It is okay to do both. ��

Ping Eye 2 or New Set for getting into sport

This made me lol. I have never understood why some people consider new clubs and practice mutually exclusive. It is okay to do both. ��

Yea I mean.....I’m not sure I’d advocate a middle aged person to go and buy $1500 worth of new golf clubs. But even when I was a child, my dad cut down some clubs for me to use as my own. Then graduated into a junior set. From there a full adult set that was inexpensive. Then once I realized how much I loved it and wanted to get better....boom! Brand new, full priced set!

If you’re wanting to get into playing, at least go get some clubs you can try and get used to that are your own. New....or not

Or

Thanks in advance.

Stick with the Ping Eye 2 irons, find a decent used driver, fairway and hybrid and play for a year or so.
If you still like golf after a year and can swing decent, get fitted for a good set of clubs. (Approx $1700-$2,000).

I still play with a set of BeCu Ping Eye 2 irons (red dot, pre-plus). For your purpose, they will work fine. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The only thing I can tell you is what our Ping rep told me a couple years ago that the older irons like the Eye 2s harden over time and can feel extremely harsh. If you don't mind that feeling or haven't experienced it yet then the Eye 2s should be fine.

The Pings are a quality club, and the color code shouldn't make much of a difference to someone just beginning. Good luck, and enjoy the game.

The only thing I can tell you is what our Ping rep told me a couple years ago that the older irons like the Eye 2s harden over time and can feel extremely harsh. If you don't mind that feeling or haven't experienced it yet then the Eye 2s should be fine.

Not saying it’s incorrect, but I sure would love to see some data that proves this is true to an extent that can be detected by a normal person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying it’s incorrect, but I sure would love to see some data that proves this is true to an extent that can be detected by a normal person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The older irons "hardening over time" is nonsense. Talk to a Ping rep and he/she will tell you any club not within Ping's current line should be replaced with their company's latest model (s).

Ping Eye 2 irons will not harden over time. Old wives tale. Speaking to a R&D expert, the faces were far thicker than today’s irons and minus some extreme pressure changes, it would not be possible.

With that said, the advancements in clubs and manufacturing, across the board have been staggering since that time.

Have someone check the lie angle and if it's close you are good to go with the Ping Eye 2. As others have said, they were a fantastic club in their time and should be fine as a starter set assuming the lie angle is approximately right.

The reason you care about the lie angle is that if they are too flat you'll hit a lot of slices and worm burners right and spend a lot of time trying to correct that when it may not be your swing. Even if it is you won't be able to totally correct it because of the clubs. If it's too upright you have a really small area to contact the ball without disaster. That's no good when you are learning.

Use the Ping Eye 2s!! The lofts are weaker than today’s clubs. The 6 iron on the Eye 2s is equivalent to today’s 7 iron. There’s a few videos out there that compare those irons to Ping sets from a couple of years ago. Spin numbers were almost identical between sets.

I started with a set of used Ping ISI-K's, they were much like the Eye2's, same age, but a slightly different line. I played them for a couple years and put all my budget into lessons and time on the course. I should mention that they were reasonably well fit for me.

I recently got fit for irons, and though I gained 20 yards on pretty much every club, I'm glad I got my swing figured out first.

Whiskey

Back