Broke a shaft today.

Tbird

Reaction score
Handicap
Today while swinging I had my driver shaft snap on me right before contact. I did not hit the ground or anything it just snapped. Could this mean my flex was too soft or did I just have a bad shaft? The club is a SLDR with the fixed shaft about a year old

Probably a bit of both tbh. Can't really offer much more than that.

Shaft may have been previously damaged. I can not say I've ever heard of someone breaking a shaft do due to being a softer flex.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would contact the manufacturer. They may be able to help!!

Shaft may have been previously damaged. I can not say I've ever heard of someone breaking a shaft do due to being a softer flex.

Unfortunately I have had this experience. Broke several standard flex shafts in a set of irons, finally got tested on Mizuno swing optimizer and turned out I needed Extra stiff shafts. Worth having your swing tested. Haven't broken a shaft since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have had this experience. Broke several standard flex shafts in a set of irons, finally got tested on Mizuno swing optimizer and turned out I needed Extra stiff shafts. Worth having your swing tested. Haven't broken a shaft since.

It seems like the added stress of the club hitting the ground might have made it more likely. I could be wrong but I don't see a regular shaft being the reason if it doesn't have the extra stress of having hit the ground. I could be wrong and it would be an interesting test with a robot to find out. I guess any shaft will break eventually but I imagine it would take 500k very fast swings at least.

Irons are coming in contact with the ground, putting large amounts of pressure of the shafts. I would assume this did not happen with the OP's driver.

I broke a G15 Driver shaft while playing. I had just had the shaft switched and it broke just before the hozel. I think the club fitter used too much pressure on the vice but I cant prove it.

Thanks for replys. This thing snapped right in the middle. It wasnt damaged in anyway that I could tell, could of just been completely random incident. Ill give taylormade a holla and see what they can do.

Today while swinging I had my driver shaft snap on me right before contact. I did not hit the ground or anything it just snapped. Could this mean my flex was too soft or did I just have a bad shaft? The club is a SLDR with the fixed shaft about a year old

You cannot snap a shaft that's too soft unless you were playing an LL flex and you should be playing a XXX...

It was either damaged or defective.

I broke a G15 Driver shaft while playing. I had just had the shaft switched and it broke just before the hozel. I think the club fitter used too much pressure on the vice but I cant prove it.

Breaks at the hosel can be caused by improper clamping and shaft damage, or they can be caused by tip weights extending up over the hosel, improper tip preparation, or internal damage by trying to cork a graphite shaft to keep lead or tungsten powder in the shaft tip.

Back