Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

Currently a J715 10.5 owner, but about to order a JGR with a Graphite Design Tour ADDI 6s shaft... with all this reading concerning how high the ball flies with the JRG, and given the fact that the DI 6s is a high launch shaft, should I go with a 9.5* head or stick to a 10.5* one?

That's really really really hard to say without seeing your swing, ya know?

But, this launches considerably higher for me than the 715 did in the same loft. I just hesitate to tell you one way or the other and it turn out wrong based on just comparing it to the 715.

Currently a J715 10.5 owner, but about to order a JGR with a Graphite Design Tour ADDI 6s shaft... with all this reading concerning how high the ball flies with the JRG, and given the fact that the DI 6s is a high launch shaft, should I go with a 9.5* head or stick to a 10.5* one?

I played that shaft in the j715 9.5 head and it was more of a mid launch than high launch. The stock shaft in the JGR is consider high launch high spin and I played it at 10.5 on the range and course. My luang was 14.4 and spin was high 2600s. I saw similar results on the course that I had on the range and I would have no problems playing it at 10.5. I'm not sure I would pay the upcharge for the addi shaft even though I like.

like Jman without seeing/knowing your swing and ball flight info it's hard to say but I don't think you could go wrong either way

I'm looking to get a higher ball flight than what I'm getting with my J715 10.5*. I have been hitting the M1 of a friend of mine, a 10.5* also paired with a DI 6s, and I have been crushing the ball with it, hitting it probably 15-20 yds longer on most shots and the same has happened with other drivers (of the same loft, 10.5*) that I have tried with that shaft, so it is definitely a shaft thing.

I hit the ball with can be considered a mid launch, with spin in the 2100-2200rpm range, and my SS is 101-103Mph, so, based on what I have read and witnessed so far, a higher launch shaft with the right torque would definitely help my case.

Last edited:
Following along with Club Clash, this came up a lot and the numbers I was seeing from everyone was impressive. It's on my radar for wanting to hit, that's for sure, and it wasn't at all before the event!

Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

Following along with Club Clash, this came up a lot and the numbers I was seeing from everyone was impressive. It's on my radar for wanting to hit, that's for sure, and it wasn't at all before the event!

I hit the JGR at Club Clash. I liked the graphics and the sound...a lot. Ball flight and dispersion were really good. I was surprised at how small the head appeared to look. (I must have gotten done hitting a wider shallower driver ). All that being said performance, (speaking of distance only), (for me) was average.

This driver is not a panacea for bad swings...although it does a better job than most other drivers when it comes to keeping it in the fairway.

its a really good driver. I spent my ride to the airport, time in the airport and the flight home plus most of yesterday and this morning going over this and my other favorite drivers trying to figure out what to buy. It was close but I ended up going something different. This driver works for lots if golfers

Attention to detail. When JB started talking about how we would be able to choose what we wanted a little before calling everyone over I slowly made that move #NotATHPRookieMove :alien:

Of course not.
I was very happy you were on top of picking the club Sunday. The JGR was a great club all weekend. Sundays round with it up against the others we had was a good test. The JGR performed and was good to me. Even on miss hits, the JGR performed fantasticly.

This one really is a silly fun driver.

IMO they have knocked it out of the park with the 815 and now this.

You know, that's a great way to put it "Silly Fun Driver" I love mine and it's only better with the ball fitting. I'm starting to get the area between my ears settled down and this driver is the reason why.

I was very happy you were on top of picking the club Sunday. The JGR was a great club all weekend. Sundays round with it up against the others we had was a good test. The JGR performed and was good to me. Even on miss hits, the JGR performed fantasticly.

I knew I wasn't getting the xr16 pro or the xr16 so needed to make sure I got this one as it was the only one I was pondering that I didn't get more swings with. It was a really good testing round Sunday with what we had in our group.

totally agree. I thought about both offerings and for guys who liked the 815 but not the looks I think will enjoy this driver. Both are fun and easy

The NV Orange is supposed to be a high launching shaft, one of Aldilas highest according to their chart... I had the JGR 9.5 and did not get the high launch and flight that was discussed here and that I was hoping for. Also, couldn't keep the thing from going left, same with the guy that I traded it to. I love what Bridgestone offers across the board, but I feel like this driver is either a dud, or a shining star depending on one's swing. Just have to try it to find out unfortunately.

I'm becoming a very, very, VERY, big fan of this driver.

Can't find this driver anywhere to demo. Golf Smith doesn't carry, golfers warehouse New England chain) doesn't carry. I'm very interested, but I'm not buying it sight unseen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Can't find this driver anywhere to demo. Golf Smith doesn't carry, golfers warehouse New England chain) doesn't carry. I'm very interested, but I'm not buying it sight unseen.

Bridgestone has a test drive program where you can test it for 21 days pretty much free.

Bridgestone has a test drive program where you can test it for 21 days pretty much free.
Thanks, I heard about that. Can't seem to find the shaft/head combination I want to test.

10.5 with Aldila NV 2KXV stiff

They have reg, but not stiff

Call or email them with your request, they will probably set you up.

Thanks, guys. My pro actually let me take his personal JGR out on the course last night (range isn't open yet due to construction). His 9.5 actually launched WAY higher than my R15, so it does what they claim, no question in my mind. That said it was 10-15 yards shorter as well and the sound at impact is just brutal! Couldn't play it every day if it sounded like that.

Didn't get to hit it enough to make a final decision but leaning towards continuing the search; I don't think this is the one.

Thanks, guys. My pro actually let me take his personal JGR out on the course last night (range isn't open yet due to construction). His 9.5 actually launched WAY higher than my R15, so it does what they claim, no question in my mind. That said it was 10-15 yards shorter as well and the sound at impact is just brutal! Couldn't play it every day if it sounded like that.

Didn't get to hit it enough to make a final decision but leaning towards continuing the search; I don't think this is the one.

When you say the sound is bad, is it like Nike Sumo SQ bad?

I don't think it sounds like the Sumo. While the Sumo was a piercing aluminum bat sound, the JGR is more of a tin can clank sound IMO.

Sort of surprised the JGR is deemed a high launcher. When I demod it on the range it took the 12* stock R shaft to launch as high as my Ping G 10.5 with Tour 80 shaft.

It will definitely launch higher than the R15, due mostly to weight placement and design. At Club Clash, it launched quite high for a lot of golfers on the monitors and I found the same.

Personally I like a loud driver...Some sumo's were hot as a tin can! The louder the hotter IMO. I like a massive loud crack ! When you deliver your playing partners stand back another ft. Softer muted thwacks are boring and less exciting IMO

sound is such a personal things. I hit about 20-25 balls on the range with it at Club clash and hit it on the course a couple times on sat and most of Sunday and I like the sound of the driver. I don't recall anyone in my groups at Club clash saying anything negative about the sound.

Back