Amazon Echo Dot and Tap

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Amazon Echo Dot
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=as_li_s...87011&tag=benjmayo-20&linkId=RQPIIORSUNS77PUZ

feature-slate.jpg

Tap
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXS8E8S...yo-20&linkId=5308e70d5ec83814a48928933b7caf04
  • Just tap and ask for music from Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn
  • Uses the Alexa Voice Service when connected to Wi-Fi or a mobile hotspot to play music, read the news, provide weather reports, and even order a pizza
  • Streams all your music via Bluetooth from your phone or tablet
  • Delivers crisp sound powered by Dolby, with dual stereo speakers that provide 360º omni-directional audio
  • Provides up to 9 hours of playback
  • Always getting smarter and adding new features and skills
  • Includes Charging Cradle
feature-hounds.jpg

That is really cool.

My wife got the original Echo for Christmas. I didn't know a lot about it until I started playing with it when she set it up. I have to admit it is actually a pretty cool device.

as someone who has went back and forth on buying an echo the dot really intrigued me at first. I thought I would connect it to my soundbar for use as the speaker but after doing some research every time I "talked" to it I would have to change the input source for my soundbar to hear the response. that's with both hardwired and Bluetooth connection to the soundbar. I am sure it will work for some but I don't see any benefit to not paying a few extra bucks for the echo and not have to find a dedicated speaker for the dot or have to switch input setting on my soundbar everytime I want to use it.

The tap would be a winner for me if it would actively "listen" while on the charging dock.

I might just wait and jump on the next gen echo or pick up the first gen for cheap at that time.

Anyone here use one? I think it's cool, just have no clue what I would use it for.

Similar to Siri, cool feature, never use it.

Anyone here use one? I think it's cool, just have no clue what I would use it for.

I have the original Echo and love it. Just a nice way to get morning updates and news as well as play my Pandora and Spotify stations hands free.

I ordered the Tap for use on the course. I was going to order a Dot for work but I read it doesnt support WPA2 Enterprise encryption so it would be uselessl

I am in the same boat

Just got the Echo Dot. Should be here in a few days.

Was thinking of picking up a dot, we have the echo and like it, might put the dot upstairs.

Was thinking of picking up a dot, we have the echo and like it, might put the dot upstairs.

This is what we have done. I have the Echo downstairs in the kitchen and the dot in the bedroom. Both get used everyday.

Digging this thing so far, once you start enabling the skills. All Recipes is a nice addition and so are many of the news feeds.

Bump for GG.

Thanks!

Ok, so I fight technology ever chance I get, but Alexa is amazing! I love her, she's my new hero.

How often and what do you use it for? I've always wanted one, but was curious if I would ever use it or not.

How often and what do you use it for? I've always wanted one, but was curious if I would ever use it or not.
We've had the echo since it came out. It's been in the kitchen the whole time. While we use it mostly for music there are some other things like shopping lists that we use it for. I grabbed one of the dots for another room to hook up to the sound system and thinking of adding another. Grabbing some of the smart plugs too to try some things out around the apartment.

We've had the echo since it came out. It's been in the kitchen the whole time. While we use it mostly for music there are some other things like shopping lists that we use it for. I grabbed one of the dots for another room to hook up to the sound system and thinking of adding another. Grabbing some of the smart plugs too to try some things out around the apartment.

We use it for the same things.

I've really enjoyed our Echo. I use it for playing music and keeping up with my shopping list this most. But really handy. Bought my son a dot for Christmas. He wants to play around with it since he'll be on the Alexa team with his new job in Feb.

I use it for daily news briefs
Recipes
Deal of the day
Weather
Shopping List
Calendar Reminder
Turn up or down our thermostat

Got the Echo for the parents gift from Santa this x-mas. Looking forward in getting to know her!

I use it all the time now. I second what everyone else said. My favorite is the shipping and to-do list, now when I need to add something I just tell alexa.

Reviving this older thread. Trying to on a couple of these or the full Alexa as a Mother's Day gift. I know that the Alexa sounds great, but how does the Dot 2.0 sound? I like that you can hook up an external speaker to the Dot via the 3.5mm jack or with Bluetooth. But I am concerned the sound as a stand alone is not going to be that good and sometimes hooking up a speaker may not be practical. She would mainly use it in our small living room and if I went with the Dot 2 I would get one for the bedroom / bathroom as well.

Edit: At this time it will not be used to control Smart devices.

Last edited:
So I just watched a Bose Demo on QVC. They hooked up what looked like a Dot to it and used Alexa to play music. I’m now intrigued. If I wanted to go with electric assistant, what do I start with? I’m hearing that Alexa is good for seniors to help with remember things.

So I just watched a Bose Demo on QVC. They hooked up what looked like a Dot to it and used Alexa to play music. I’m now intrigued. If I wanted to go with electric assistant, what do I start with? I’m hearing that Alexa is good for seniors to help with remember things.

I like the Alexa better than the google home, mostly cuz I trust Amazon about .01% more than google to not sell my data.

Back