Driving Range Etiquette

I had a bad experience once while playing with a friend. He asked to borrow my 9 iron. snapped off the head. The day before my league tourney

I would never think about asking someone to use their clubs. Nor would I let them hit mine. I don't even let people use my ink pen at work!

I've never asked a stranger and wouldn't or been asked by one but if someone were to ask I would most likely let them hit whatever they want.

I would never ask nor have I been asked but I did ask a guy that was hitting next to me to hit my driver. This was about 3 years ago and he was just pounding it. I was breaking in a new driver and hitting it poorly so I asked him to take a few swings with it. He agreed and lets just say that my problems were NOT the clubs fault!

That's like asking the guy at the table next to you if he is going to finish his fries...

What I might do is ask his/her opinion as they are leaving the range of what they think about their clubs if they were hitting them well.

Just the other day a guy asked me about my irons, i offered them up and he hit 3 clubs. I even let him hit from my bucket as he was leaving the range. I knew he was a good player as he was 2 stalls away, but that wouldnt really matter anyway.

It would never even occur to me to ask to hit a strangers club!

Unless they turn to you and say "Hey, you wanna hit a real club?" LOL :act-up:

Unless they turn to you and say "Hey, you wanna hit a real club?" LOL :act-up:

Typically the guy that does that hands me a Titleist club. I just shrug and go with it.

Typically the guy that does that hands me a Titleist club. I just shrug and go with it.
That's how I get sky marks on my clubs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've never asked to hit someone's club but I have been asked, however, not by a stranger. And I have never, nor would I, ask to hit someone else's club(s).

Asking is bad form, offering is friendly.

Its been done before both ways but only after becoming a tad friendly via conversation and being comfy with the question.

If I didn't know the person? No way!

To me that is along the lines of unsolicited swing advice. Just don't do it!

Never offered, never been asked.

Only time I've ever had someone ask me at all was on the course, someone we were paired up with who was very nice and definitely a good golfer. He asked if he could hit my Big Bertha once on the back 9 once we had spent the previous 2 hours getting friendly. I didn't mind then, but in any other situation I would have most likely privately declined.

I am a social person, and occasionally I can strike up a conversation with someone on the range. I suppose in one of those cases I can imagine a situation where I was asked or asked myself. I also practice and play at a local course where the pros and staff know me surprisingly well. One of them will often walk or cart out to ask me a question, show me something, or just check in. For some reason I seem to click with them. I could imagine them telling someone to find me and ask me to borrow/hit a specific club in my bag. They know I would be OK with it.

I actually had the opposite happen in a way. A guy saw me hitting mine pretty well and asked if I wanted to try his. It was weird. haha.

I actually had the opposite happen in a way. A guy saw me hitting mine pretty well and asked if I wanted to try his. It was weird. haha.

He probably wanted to confirm it was the Indian and not the arrow LOL

Oh, I would never ask a stranger to do that...

...I would just take their club and start swinging. :D

What if that stranger was wearing a THP polo?? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This is a fun read through because I think my viewpoint is like most. I usually go to the range with headphone on and am there to try and sort through my swing demons.

I have never and will never ask a stranger if I can hit their clubs. I have yet to be asked (and I hope I never am) but I have had several instances where people come up and start asking me random questions. I usually will nod or say a quick hello if I make eye contact with someone, but otherwise I am just there to try and improve my swing.

The only people who hit my clubs are THPers and the bags open to all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only people who hit my clubs are THPers and close friends or fam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally nope, never had it happen and I wouldn't ask a stranger, Usually wouldn't ask people I know unless its a close friend. About the only exception I have seen is THP outings.

I'll let any of my friends hit anything of mine, even had a friend snap my 5i in half, no worries.

I might let a stranger hit my clubs at the range, but I would think the "you break it, you buy it" line would scare most away.

A stranger - no. A close friend - maybe. Ask - no need to.

basically, for the clubs that aren't customized (basically my irons and wedges) its an option for a friend who wants to try them out. At the end of the day tho, its a no long before there is a chance at yes. They may be just clubs, and i may mess them up plenty on my own, but I am also not flowing with a cash fountain, so a broken club is too expensive to just happen due to someone else's swing. :)

Back