Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Picked up a14° Mini for a song off CPO this morning. Looking forward to gaming it soon.

First 2 rounds with the 14* Mini are in the book. Very pleased with the results I have seen so far. I actually think I hit it better off the turf than off the tee as every ball I hit with it off the turf were well struck mid height bullets that went about 15 yards further than my 3 wood would have. Choke down 1/2 to 1 inch when hitting it off the turf. Tee ball success has been about 67% thus far.

Has anybody tried to use a different shaft than the one that came with the Mini? I really like the Speeder 665 shafts in my 3 and 5 wood and was going to chop an inch off the 665 driver shaft I have to try in the Mini. When I checked out the swing weight with the 665 in the Mini head at driver length of 45", it registered a D3 swing weight which is the same as the stock mid 60s gram Kuro Kage Tini (at 44" playing length) that came with the club. Did nothing with the 665 shaft as I did not want to lose 6 swing weight points and the amount of lead tape on the head it would take to get it up to D2 / D3 would be crazy. Make me wonder if they put a tip weight in the Tini shaft to get it up to that swing weight.

First 2 rounds with the 14* Mini are in the book. Very pleased with the results I have seen so far. I actually think I hit it better off the turf than off the tee as every ball I hit with it off the turf were well struck mid height bullets that went about 15 yards further than my 3 wood would have. Choke down 1/2 to 1 inch when hitting it off the turf. Tee ball success has been about 67% thus far.

Has anybody tried to use a different shaft than the one that came with the Mini? I really like the Speeder 665 shafts in my 3 and 5 wood and was going to chop an inch off the 665 driver shaft I have to try in the Mini. When I checked out the swing weight with the 665 in the Mini head at driver length of 45", it registered a D3 swing weight which is the same as the stock mid 60s gram Kuro Kage Tini (at 44" playing length) that came with the club. Did nothing with the 665 shaft as I did not want to lose 6 swing weight points and the amount of lead tape on the head it would take to get it up to D2 / D3 would be crazy. Make me wonder if they put a tip weight in the Tini shaft to get it up to that swing weight.

I am going to give it a go with an Ahina which is what I have in my G30 and in my Bridgestone 3w. The stock may be a little spinny for me.

I am going to give it a go with an Ahina which is what I have in my G30 and in my Bridgestone 3w. The stock may be a little spinny for me.
I will be interested if you lose a bunch of swing weight. I was shocked when I put the Speeder 665 (mid 60s shaft weight just like the Tini) and it registered the same SW at 45 as the Tini does at 44.

Did you check if the grip weight is the same? The make up of the shaft on the tini could be heavier at the tip than conventional shafts due to the titanium wire.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Finally pulled the trigger on a 12* Stiff with the Kuro Kage. Been eyeing this thing as a driver replacement. My Driver goes from spot on to way off more than I'd like, while my 3 wood play has been solid. Hoping for strong results tomorrow in the maiden round. Will report back with thoughts.

After about a month with this club, it is clearly my driver of choice for tight fairways. I am seeing a tremendous distances, 260+ yds, with very tight dispersion. Shots that do not hit the fairway are either bad swings/huge hooks and slices, or bouncing from the fairway into the desert.
I love this club!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took this one to the course today. Directly to the course with zero range time. Results were phenomenal. First swing ended up about 10 yards short of where my driver usually ends up. Feel at impact was extremely solid. Ball flight was perfect and piercing. I used it off the deck on a dogleg par five and played a perfect low draw to set me up for a tap in par. Really big fan right now.

Took this one to the course today. Directly to the course with zero range time. Results were phenomenal. First swing ended up about 10 yards short of where my driver usually ends up. Feel at impact was extremely solid. Ball flight was perfect and piercing. I used it off the deck on a dogleg par five and played a perfect low draw to set me up for a tap in par. Really big fan right now.

Wait, you played a draw? This club must be amazing for you to do that. :alien:

Seriously, I'll have to hit it when we tee it up this summer.

Wait, you played a draw? This club must be amazing for you to do that. :alien:

Seriously, I'll have to hit it when we tee it up this summer.

Dude it's that same draw I pull out 3 times a year hahaha. You will it's awesome

Will be trying the Mini with a different shaft soon, but I am feeling more confident with the driver and hitting my Bridgestone 3w more consistently.

Played my Mini exclusively this last Sunday. I measured four random tee shots, trying to get different directions for wind, and the four shots averaged out to 254.5.

I was hitting the Superhot55 for three, and then switched to a Chrome Soft, and got the longest of the day at 263. I like this thing more and more.

Played my Mini exclusively this last Sunday. I measured four random tee shots, trying to get different directions for wind, and the four shots averaged out to 254.5.

I was hitting the Superhot55 for three, and then switched to a Chrome Soft, and got the longest of the day at 263. I like this thing more and more.

Totally agree. I kind of dismissed it initially. Now that I have one- I feel like the rave reviews actually undersold it

I keep contemplating this club because I'm struggling with my driver swing. I think I need to find a place to swing it.

One of the things that surprises me now that the fairways are drying out a little around here is how much roll out I'm getting with this club. I haven't measured it on a launch monitor but certainly this is much lower spin that any 3 wood I've owned. I've hit numerous tee shots that have rolled out 30 to 50 yards, putting me in areas of fairways at my home course that I only reach rarely with a driver.

I'm a high spin player and its not uncommon for my tee shot to only roll a yard or two. It makes me realize that my driver is not optimized for overall distance. I hit one with the 1.5 mini on the par 5 8th hole the other day that rolled out to 305 yards with a slight wind at my back.

One of the things that surprises me now that the fairways are drying out a little around here is how much roll out I'm getting with this club. I haven't measured it on a launch monitor but certainly this is much lower spin that any 3 wood I've owned. I've hit numerous tee shots that have rolled out 30 to 50 yards, putting me in areas of fairways at my home course that I only reach rarely with a driver.

Same here. My home course was playing pretty firm and fast last weekend due to lack of rain(which we got yesterday). I hit some bombs with this club, really good carry with plenty of run after. Made me not need a driver at all. Been real consistent with this club and that's a good thing, it's exactly what it's for. Even when I catch the ground just behind the ball, the results are still really good.

I demoed one the other day it was a 12* with the speeder 575 in regular flex I usually use lite flex but they didn't have any lite shafts so they took a Fubuki women's shaft out of a Big Bertha driver and put it in I gained 20 yards and 2 mile an hour more swing speed and straight as.

I am in complete agreement with the low spin assertions. This sucker, even in the 14* model that I opted for so I could also comfortably use it from the deck, rolls out a ton. I tried a shaft with a little higher spin profile than the Tini today and still seeing very low spin from this club. I have a par 5 at my course which goes 200 yards out then turns 90 degrees right. I can easily hit a driver over the tall trees to about the 200 marker but cannot get enough launch on the Mini to comfortably get over the trees. It certainly shines against the wind. Probably the lowest spinning club I have ever hit.

I am playing this as my driver at my club - tight fairways. Hit some shots that stand out.
1) draw into the wind, uphill, went 267 yds total - did have roll.
2) Downwind par 530 yds. Drive left me w 190 to the pin.
3) 550 yd par 5 downwind. Hit driver to 287 yds. Hit driver again to front of the green.
Playing the driver at 11* w speeder stock stiff shaft.
This club is flat money.

Last edited:
Going back to the stock Tini in the Mini. The experiment with cutting down a Speeder 665 to play at 44" in the Mini did not yield such great results this weekend.

Been hitting this some on the sim lately. Kinda like what I see, but need to try one outside again against my 3Deep. Spin numbers are great, leading to pretty good yardage

On a side note, did they stop making them? Not on the Cally site that I could find.

Love this club, it was so easy to get comfortable setting up to the ball and just swing at it. I have the 12 deg set to 13 deg neutral with the Speeder shaft in stiff and it's sweet. This club has also helped groove my driver swing or maybe bring the confidence level up to swing without hesitation.

Been hitting this some on the sim lately. Kinda like what I see, but need to try one outside again against my 3Deep. Spin numbers are great, leading to pretty good yardage

On a side note, did they stop making them? Not on the Cally site that I could find.

Cally has stopped producing them unfortunately. Not sure if there are plans for a newer model.

I am going to pull the trigger on this one from budgetgolf. Every time I have demoed the club I've set it for 13 degrees and never fiddled with it. I will be getting the Kuro regular flex shaft.

Would you get the 12 or 14?

I am going to pull the trigger on this one from budgetgolf. Every time I have demoed the club I've set it for 13 degrees and never fiddled with it. I will be getting the Kuro regular flex shaft.

Would you get the 12 or 14?

I think it depends on the person and swing. I would think most people would benefit from the extra loft at 14*. One of the guys in my regular group has the 14*. Even though he has a mid/high ball flight, he is very happy he went with the 14*. He hit mine at 12* and was hitting it a bit low for his taste.

If you are planning to use it off the deck, the extra loft would help. Also check out Callaway Preowned. They will have sales from time-to-time.

Back