Play it where it lies? Or OK to move to a preferred lie in the fairway?

Jim Bloodworth

Reaction score
Handicap
I grew up playing on courses without much grass. We had a rule that it was OK to move the ball to a better spot for a preferred lie if you are in the fairway. Sort of like Winter rules.

Now I live in a area where the courses are in good shape with good grass. But I still have the urge to move the ball to a preferred lie in the fairway.

Is that OK, or is only Play it where it lies?

I do whatever I can to play it where it is, however NOT at the risk of injury or destroying a club.

Play it as it lies, unless local rules indicate otherwise

I do whatever I can to play it where it is, however NOT at the risk of injury or destroying a club.

Playing the ball down (where it lies) is the rule. However, I agree with bumping when it is necessare for this ^^^. You should always check with your group before making this assumption, but if playing in any kind of sanctioned event, always play the ball down.

The rule is always play it as it lies. But if you want to move it and there is nothing at stake, I say do what you want to have more fun.

I play it down. Only exception is when it's really wet and it would clearly be lift, clean and place if it was tournament play, or if it's against a tree root, which we have lots of on my home course.

I usually play it down unless it's early or late, outside of the active season here.

The other exception is in our league, where it's in the rules.

If it's a casual round play it as you like. I will roll it to find some grass if I somehow ended up in crap in the fairway in a casual round. I wouldnt go searching for a better lie just because however.

play the game the way that makes it more enjoyable for you

I'm not one to tell someone else how to play the game that allows them to enjoy it. But I play it down. if I get a bare or bad lie, I use it as an opportunity to learn how to hit from there.

I have a friend that rolls every ball in the fairway on every shot, even when it's a perfect lie. I think he does it out of habit or something.

I play winter rules if the course is wet. There are also some neglected spots on my home course that you dont have to hit a bad shot to be in and we usually move the ball. Make the round enjoyable for yourself, we are not pros.

Really depends on the situation. In all reality, we play to enjoy ourselves. If putting the ball in a 'preferential lie' works then do it!

Of course if it's a tournament or something where it matters, then playing the ball down is of course the best way to go.

There's a league I used to play in at a municipal course where the conditions were not always the best and they had a rule that you could move it within 6 inches all over the course (except greens/bunkers/hazards). It took away a lot of 'bad lie' mumbling and made the game more fun for the guys....especially the old guys that had a hard time getting through some of the long rough and whatnot.

I just play it as it is unless I'm going to get hurt or damage a club.

This, or if it has a chance of wrecking/damaging club. I play this way sometimes as I don't have sponsors to buy me new equipment. If it was a tournament or competition, I would play it.

Do whatever you want unless something is on the line. Then the group needs to set standards.

I will always move my ball if it is under a tree where leaves may be hiding a surface root. Not going risk hurting myself or damaging my club.

The few people I play with regularly plays it as it lies. But we always agree to it before we start.

Play it down unless a root or a rock is in the way. I won't damage my club or myself over a rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like has been said, I'll play it down unless it's up against tree roots or rocks. I'm not hitting off of rocks or roots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play it as is because I am usually playing a hdcp round. To each his own but follow the rules when playing hdcp rules. Also if playing a match the opponent better play as it is or there will be no match

I play it as it lies.

If there is money on the line, or an event/tournament going on, I expect the same from my partners.

In a casual round, do whatever makes you happy.

I play it where it lies (unless my club is going to get ruined which would be rare).
I only do that because I like to practice those kinds of situations.

If I golfed rarely, like many of my playing partners, I'd have no problem with them moving their ball to a more favorable lie (especially if they are in the fairway). But, then again, I don't take care if they take multiple mulligans either...

At the end of the day, I'd far rather play with my partners when they are having fun, rather than being curmudgeons.

Play by the rules of golf. If I cannot hit the ball safety from where it came to rest, take the unplayable and the penalty stroke and move it...

You don't have to cheat to move your ball so you don't damage a club or risk injury. Our game already has a provision for those cases.

Back