Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

Think the Z545 are on my short list. Has anyone compared them in depth to the Callaway Apex CF16?

There is actually quite a bit in this thread and the CF16 Review thread with direct comparisons.

Ive had these irons now for just under a year and they still continue to impress me on miss hits... Par 3 12th today was playing approx 120m to a middle flag, slightly downwind. To get close was to go over the front rightbunker and get it to land soft. I hit PW which is about the limit for that club. A third of the ball was outside the grooves towards the toe, yet i still got a great high launch that finished 15ft right of the pin. I hated the strike and my playing partners were telling it to go to... The forgiveness is INCREDIBLE

Hello, I have just come irons. I have given a few balls on the driving range and wow. Feel, nice look and FORGIVENESS. This set is a great improvement iron...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Irons are the clubs that I change most often. After owning these, I don't think I'll be changing irons any time soon. These are flat out easy to hit and easy on the eye as well. Best balance between forgiveness and looks by a long shot. Best irons I've owned in my 11 years of picking up the game.

Irons are the clubs that I change most often. After owning these, I don't think I'll be changing irons any time soon. These are flat out easy to hit and easy on the eye as well. Best balance between forgiveness and looks by a long shot. Best irons I've owned in my 11 years of picking up the game.

Did u get the 4i?

Did u get the 4i?

Yes I did but I'm having some issues with it as its not going that much further than my 5 iron. I know my swing has a lot to do with it but at the moment I'm sticking with my 4 hybrid. The 4 iron is very lethal on the long par 3s though. From a loft point of view, the 4 irons are basically my 3 irons from previous years and I've never hit my 3 irons that well. I guess I need to work on my long iron swings more.

p.s. I can't help thinking that I should have gone the U45 21 degrees route instead.

I've had my 545's for about a month now. I can hit them all easier than any other irons i've ever played. Thats what i found during my fitting session and its held true on the course. Dispersion was far better than anything else i tried this year. Even the 3 Iron seems easy to hit, i'm cosistently hitting it 230yds and even getting it out there around 220 on mis-hits. I love these irons, they look amazing and perform well above what should be asked of a club.

hey guys, new to the forums but have been reading through a ton of the posts on here about these irons. My question is about the v.t. sole on these irons. Is it truly a difference maker when it comes to preventing too much digging/ catching the ball a little too heavy? That is the main reason i really want to buy these is because it really seems thats the case. Thanks

Its NOT the cure, but it helps. You can still hit the ball fat, but the one thing i notice is it helps. The club will go thru and it softens the impact. Where i notice the most benefit is on side hill lies etc.. where one is more prone to ground impact.

hey guys, new to the forums but have been reading through a ton of the posts on here about these irons. My question is about the v.t. sole on these irons. Is it truly a difference maker when it comes to preventing too much digging/ catching the ball a little too heavy? That is the main reason i really want to buy these is because it really seems thats the case. Thanks
I'm sold on these and am trying to locate the AW for the set. I may have to order the AW from the new z565s once they come out.

Well, I finally got my 3-PW set with DG s300's in. Took them out to the course. Sadly, I did not get along with these soles AT ALL! I am so upset because I have read this entire thread and was soooo sooo excited for these, and it has just been the biggest let down ever. Not saying the clubs are bad at all. They just do not work with my swing whatsoever. Sadly, I will have to revert back to my Ping s55's. Such a bummer. Happy for everyone else that loves these and hopefully this post doesn't deter anyone from trying these irons. I will say, they are gorgeous to look at in person.

Well, I finally got my 3-PW set with DG s300's in. Took them out to the course. Sadly, I did not get along with these soles AT ALL! I am so upset because I have read this entire thread and was soooo sooo excited for these, and it has just been the biggest let down ever. Not saying the clubs are bad at all. They just do not work with my swing whatsoever. Sadly, I will have to revert back to my Ping s55's. Such a bummer. Happy for everyone else that loves these and hopefully this post doesn't deter anyone from trying these irons. I will say, they are gorgeous to look at in person.

What was the issue you had? I'd take them out at least another time or two before you make the final call on that. Though, I'm a strong believer if something doesn't work the first few times out, it's probably not the right club.

Well, I am definitely gonna have to take them out again. I was using the stock grips which are standard size, and I normally use jumbo Pure grips. So that is a difference maker, but i'm just not sure how much. My issue with these is I am constantly blading them, because of the high bounce of the leading edge. It just seems impossible for me to hit them solid. To test this, I actually grabbed my s55 7 iron from the car and hit 4 shots with it. Smoked every one. I will have to see if I can get them to work, but it's looking like it might be a lost cause.

Went to the range again today, and got in a little work with these. I have really come to realize that it is borderline impossible to hit these things heavy/fat. I mean, I was actually trying to take a divot and I couldn't. The V-sole is truly different than any other sole in the market today, and it really is starting to give me a huge sense of confidence that no matter how hard I go after it, I will not catch it heavy. In fact, the more I get it in my mind to "hit down" on the ball, the better contact I make. It will take a little more practice with these and I still have to have my club fitter put my Pure Jumbo grips on them, but I am starting to really enjoy these irons. Hopefully, it wont take too long to start loving them lol.

Glad to hear they're starting to work for you. Yeah, they're just crazy good on hits that are a little (or a lot) heavy.

I am glad that they are starting to work for you. It sounds like the issue you were having was psychological, the way that a club can get into your head and you have no confidence with it. I think that the sole on these is great, but not all that pronounced. Just looking at the sole, I think that you would have to be trying to pick it clean off of concrete for the bounce to be the cause of multiple bladed shots. My experience with these irons was really positive and I hope that they work for you, especially since you have made an investment in them.

Hi, i have this set 5-pw. I want buy a driving iron. The u45 in 23° is a 4 iron? The 5 z545 iron have 24°. Buy 23 or 20 for a 4 iron? Thanks

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Best thing to do would be to go and hit your 5 on a launch monitor and the same with both the 23 and 20. You might find the 23 gaps better to whatever your next club up is, or maybe the 20. I'd probably look at the 23 personally for a bit better launch as I tend to struggle under 21 degrees with anything that isnt a full wood.

I demo'd them the first time with Nippon 950s and was just flat stroking them. Then I went to PGASS and hit the stock setup and basically drew one fat line down the edge of the center line. That setup seems to just work perfectly.
Bringing up an old post to mention that I re-shafted last night from Recoil 95 F4s to Nippon NS Pro 950GH, the shaft I demo'd them with, but found a better deal on the Recoil setup.
Now, I don't have any problems with the Recoils, really, but it has nagged me constantly that as well as I hit them with the Nippons, would it be better, so I just had to pick up a set of fresh 950s and try it out. Even if I got a little more L-R control, I'd be happy, and that was the strongest aspect of them when I hit them way back then. What scares me is I pretty much had every iron absolutely dialed in yardage-wise. We'll see how this change affects that.

Bringing up an old post to mention that I re-shafted last night from Recoil 95 F4s to Nippon NS Pro 950GH, the shaft I demo'd them with, but found a better deal on the Recoil setup.
Now, I don't have any problems with the Recoils, really, but it has nagged me constantly that as well as I hit them with the Nippons, would it be better, so I just had to pick up a set of fresh 950s and try it out. Even if I got a little more L-R control, I'd be happy, and that was the strongest aspect of them when I hit them way back then. What scares me is I pretty much had every iron absolutely dialed in yardage-wise. We'll see how this change affects that.

In that 95g range, the Nippons are my favorite. I really enjoyed swinging that combo when a few folks at the Morgan Cup had them.

If you are looking to move those 95 F4s let me know I have a set of 545s and have been interested in getting a set of those shafts into. Interested to hear how your experiment goes. I have S300s in mine and love the feel but they are tad heavy and I am losing a bit of launch I believe.

I figured that I would bump this thread to see how many are still playing these irons and if you aren't, what knocked them out of your bag? I picked up a used set on ebay a few weeks ago and so far I'm really impressed. I've only played two rounds with them, but it was slow both times, so I was able to hit some extra shots. They are very long and do an excellent job of getting the ball up in the air. I can't wait for the weather to improve so that I can play with them a little more.

I am still playing these irons and don't see me changing for some time yet, but if I do change, whatever Srixon irons are available at that time will definitely be on the list for me to try

I'm still playing the 545's and loving them. I was going to move into the 565's but the feedback I got was the ROI to move up wouldn't pay too much....probably wait for the 585's or combo 585/785.

Back