My First time being accused of cheating. Huzzah!

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
Played in a scramble Saturday. I had long wanted to play this specific course, heard great things about it. Be careful what you wish for… It was one of my least favorite type of courses. Not particularly scenic, and it was very much target golf. So much target golf, in fact, that the two long drive contest holes were both on par 4s, and one was a dogleg…uh…okay? Seriously, a 265 yard straight drive would be past the fairway and by about 280 you had a shot at hitting a pickup truck on the road…
Our group had one guy who is fairly steady in the fairway 160-180 out, another guy who is spraying it all over the course and tops out at 200, a guy only putting due to torn rotator cuff (we rotated playing a second shot every third hole) and myself. I am far and away the class of our group, my average drive is 260 on the nose, and my 6i is currently 183 average…it is not unusual for me to tee off with a 6 or 7i and outdrive the other guys’ drivers…our second hole was a downhill par 3 183 to the stick. On this day I pured a 7i and had it about 12' right of the pin, one of the few times in my life I have gotten my name on a KP. I tried to get them to not put me down as there was zero chance that would hold up but they insisted and since they enjoy being in a group with someone on there...okay. And someone did, as expected, get closer.
My partners do have very solid games from 180 in and are generally on or around the green. That was useful as on this day my normally reliable 3h decided to take a vacation. Our best hole was: I drove it 261 down the middle. I then deposited a 3h about 80 yards off to the right in the junk, but one of them picked me up when they hit as well as they could and left us 40 yards short. Dave proceeds to chip in for eagle.
We ended up with 2 bogeys, an eagle and 4 birdies for a 4 under. One of the birdies was on the aforementioned long drive hole.
This hole is guarded by a tree at the corner and right of the tree finds a pond. Our first guy puts it down left side giving us direct shot to green, second guy puts his in the pond, and I took…shall we say an aggressive line? A little left of the tree planning to fade it. Any pull is probably long of fairway, a slice finds the water but I hit a beautiful gentle fade that comes to a rest maybe 2 yards from the end of the fairway. On this particular hole I did not for whatever reason use golfpad…possibly as I was still torqued at myself for the prior hole, a very soft 103 yard uphill par 3 I was very little help on…but it was probably in the 310-320 range. The guys think I hit it 350 because it was 397 yards on the scorecard and I left us 47 to the flag. I tried to explain that was not how you figure it, but…regardless, it was a beautiful drive, one of maybe 4 to 5 shots I was happy with on the day. It was also by about 10 yards the longest drive at that point with 5 groups behind us. The guys marked me down on the long drive card, moved the flag up and we moved on with our round.
I was able to observe probably 5-6 groups throughout the day and I figured the 4 under would have us comfortably out of last place. Shockingly, the highest reported score was a 74. I am not saying anyone pencil whipped the scorecard…but I am saying a group I saw twice take drops by red stakes somehow broke 74…the group at our table told us their score and their fear they would be last place. I laughed, said no chance, I had seen several holes where groups were taking no less than a double and that was only if they hit a long putt...there had to be some in the 80. Nope, that 74 was the worst reported score...
One group had a guy who had both KP wins and a long drive win. His team finished 15 under in a tie for second. The winning group, including the host and two guys with the rather suspicious name "Guest" eked out the win with a 23 under 49.
Okay, fair enough. You birdied 13 holes and eagled 5 on a target golf course…including the double dogleg horseshoe par 5. That is some spectacular golf. I suspect both guys named "guest" play on the tour.
When my name was announced as winning the long drive, a guy from that group announced, "There is no way anyone beat my drive on that hole. Someone cheated."
No issue with the one guy winning 2 KP and one long drive, no problem with his group 23 under. But the possibility someone was capable of outhitting him? Preposterous!

I had a good laugh about it. I am not super consistent with my driver. It is not unusual for me to have a 220 and a 310 drive in the same round. No doubt when I have free reign, a miss doesn't hurt, I am going to get after it. But cheat? for a 60 dollar prize? thanks but no thanks. Appreciate you thinking about me though.

Scrambles are fun, but can't be taken seriously for a reason. I am still trying to figure out what KP stands for though.

I generally won't play in scrambles.. Either one team is legitimately stacked which sucks, or there is some score card shenanigans. I've seen far too many 18 under or better scramble wins and it just gets to be a stupid waste of a day.

I've only ever played in 4 scrambles and each and every time someone on my own team wanted to cheat because "you know everyone else is".

That told me all I need to know about scrambles, and I will never play in another one.

Scrambles are fun, but can't be taken seriously for a reason. I am still trying to figure out what KP stands for though.

Klosest to the pin?, (Closest)

yea...it is what it is. But it still doesn't make it right and it all sucks. I just don't get people. Im tired of it all. Society is going down the tubes. The cheating , the lack of common courtesies, respect and etiquettes, etc,etc,,..I know Im getting off course here but its all part of the same mindsets. Its all part of the same toilet that society is heading further and further down. People who ruin things should all be highly embarrassed in front of everyone. They should all have to walk around with a bright blue face so everyone everywhere knows who they are.

Haters gonna hate... Some people are just so petty

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I play in a few every year. My take is that scrambles are charitable contributions, 5-6 hours on the course with golf buddies, a little golf, a little humor, cigars, some food and drink, and a whole heaping load of enjoyable BS. Expecting anything else will be a disappointment.

What was the prize you received for winning the long drive contest ?

I played a scramble on Saturday... our annual Purple Heart Scramble. At the start, I mentioned to my group that the score to beat would be 52, on a Par 71 course. We played well; had 5 missed birdies chances, and made six. Finish with a -6, 65. The winning score? 52... by a celebrity guest group. Did they really shoot it? 17 birdies and an eagle? Maybe... in their corrupted minds. They bought a bunch of mulligans (at $5 each) and when they missed a putt they would use a mulligan and mark it as made, without actually making it. If they failed to reach the green in two (par 4), they would use two mulligans, mark a birdie and move on. Always happens in scrambles, but I don't care. We had a great time, as usual, and the event raised $32,000 after expenses. For me that is a big success. As for long drive... there was only one, on a par 5 and included both men and women. A woman won... for the 6th time. Guess why.

Last edited:
Wow, some guys take this stuff seriously, chill out Francis. I did my first scramble 2 weeks ago and had a blast. Never even thought of winning (and we didn't even come close), but still had a blast. Perhaps we actually won (the smiles contest at least). I will play in another scramble with no trepidation.

It happens, just let it ride brother.
My home course has a series of scrambles, one a month & we’ve played well. I’m the dead weight mostly.

Player A is 66, so he plays up a set (those are the rules) regularly 280 off the tee & doesn’t miss fairways.

Player B is 61, so he too plays up a set (again, thems the rules) not as long but pretty solid.

Player C is a 57 year old lady that plays the most forward tees. Gets a little wild off the tee & fairway but is a stick with her putter.

Then me, I play 1-2 tees back from everybody but manages to keep up & not terrible with a wedge.

We’ve played 3 of them together and haven’t shot over 56. All legit but folks get fussy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing Closest to the Pin, but not sure why CP wasn't used if CTTP was too much.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Played in a scramble Saturday. I had long wanted to play this specific course, heard great things about it. Be careful what you wish for… It was one of my least favorite type of courses. Not particularly scenic, and it was very much target golf. So much target golf, in fact, that the two long drive contest holes were both on par 4s, and one was a dogleg…uh…okay? Seriously, a 265 yard straight drive would be past the fairway and by about 280 you had a shot at hitting a pickup truck on the road…
Our group had one guy who is fairly steady in the fairway 160-180 out, another guy who is spraying it all over the course and tops out at 200, a guy only putting due to torn rotator cuff (we rotated playing a second shot every third hole) and myself. I am far and away the class of our group, my average drive is 260 on the nose, and my 6i is currently 183 average…it is not unusual for me to tee off with a 6 or 7i and outdrive the other guys’ drivers…our second hole was a downhill par 3 183 to the stick. On this day I pured a 7i and had it about 12' right of the pin, one of the few times in my life I have gotten my name on a KP. I tried to get them to not put me down as there was zero chance that would hold up but they insisted and since they enjoy being in a group with someone on there...okay. And someone did, as expected, get closer.
My partners do have very solid games from 180 in and are generally on or around the green. That was useful as on this day my normally reliable 3h decided to take a vacation. Our best hole was: I drove it 261 down the middle. I then deposited a 3h about 80 yards off to the right in the junk, but one of them picked me up when they hit as well as they could and left us 40 yards short. Dave proceeds to chip in for eagle.
We ended up with 2 bogeys, an eagle and 4 birdies for a 4 under. One of the birdies was on the aforementioned long drive hole.
This hole is guarded by a tree at the corner and right of the tree finds a pond. Our first guy puts it down left side giving us direct shot to green, second guy puts his in the pond, and I took…shall we say an aggressive line? A little left of the tree planning to fade it. Any pull is probably long of fairway, a slice finds the water but I hit a beautiful gentle fade that comes to a rest maybe 2 yards from the end of the fairway. On this particular hole I did not for whatever reason use golfpad…possibly as I was still torqued at myself for the prior hole, a very soft 103 yard uphill par 3 I was very little help on…but it was probably in the 310-320 range. The guys think I hit it 350 because it was 397 yards on the scorecard and I left us 47 to the flag. I tried to explain that was not how you figure it, but…regardless, it was a beautiful drive, one of maybe 4 to 5 shots I was happy with on the day. It was also by about 10 yards the longest drive at that point with 5 groups behind us. The guys marked me down on the long drive card, moved the flag up and we moved on with our round.
I was able to observe probably 5-6 groups throughout the day and I figured the 4 under would have us comfortably out of last place. Shockingly, the highest reported score was a 74. I am not saying anyone pencil whipped the scorecard…but I am saying a group I saw twice take drops by red stakes somehow broke 74…the group at our table told us their score and their fear they would be last place. I laughed, said no chance, I had seen several holes where groups were taking no less than a double and that was only if they hit a long putt...there had to be some in the 80. Nope, that 74 was the worst reported score...
One group had a guy who had both KP wins and a long drive win. His team finished 15 under in a tie for second. The winning group, including the host and two guys with the rather suspicious name "Guest" eked out the win with a 23 under 49.
Okay, fair enough. You birdied 13 holes and eagled 5 on a target golf course…including the double dogleg horseshoe par 5. That is some spectacular golf. I suspect both guys named "guest" play on the tour.
When my name was announced as winning the long drive, a guy from that group announced, "There is no way anyone beat my drive on that hole. Someone cheated."
No issue with the one guy winning 2 KP and one long drive, no problem with his group 23 under. But the possibility someone was capable of outhitting him? Preposterous!

I had a good laugh about it. I am not super consistent with my driver. It is not unusual for me to have a 220 and a 310 drive in the same round. No doubt when I have free reign, a miss doesn't hurt, I am going to get after it. But cheat? for a 60 dollar prize? thanks but no thanks. Appreciate you thinking about me though.
What course and hole?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

People cheat in scrambles. That is what happens. I played in a 2 day one yesterday that is flighted after the first day. The team that won our flight shot 8 shots better on Sunday vs Saturday. And the wind was 20 mph+ on Sunday and on Saturday it was probably 5. One of the guys was the club champion at my course a couple of years ago and is a 0 HC. They shot even par on Saturday to get into our flight. He could have done that by himself considering the course we played on is rated 68/113 and our home course is 72.5/135. I so t understand this especially considering you are winning maybe $100.

What amazes me about people in scrambles is two-fold;

1- That people who clearly don't play golf get angry about who wins or by how much
2- That somehow the benefit or charity involved in the scramble takes a backseat to some of the nonsense I've seen.

Just... enjoy the damn experience, drink your drink, and smile.

1- That people who clearly don't play golf get angry about who wins or by how much
2- That somehow the benefit or charity involved in the scramble takes a backseat to some of the nonsense I've seen.

Point #2 needs to be echoed wayyyyyy to often.

My least favourite days in the pro shop was when we were hosting a scramble. You knew some stupid stuff was going to happen.

If I’m playing in a scramble, the only thing I’m taking seriously is who is driving me home safely.

I honestly stopped reading after the first line. It is a scramble tell whoever to **** off.

Depending on what their drive was, I get it. I’ve played a scramble with some others THPers where one of us hit an absolute bomb, probably an easy 300-310. No chance we’d believe someone would be beat it if we didn’t see it. Well...the group behind us had a guy hit cart path and get straight to the end of the fairway just past his. It was unreal, but we saw it happen. The only bad part was the dude came up bragging about it that he just smashed his drive when we watched it hit cart path and go another good 75+ yards.

At the same time though...can’t take all that stuff too serious. I had a drive of mine get absolutely crushed that I held long drive of the day and some guy who seemingly struggled to even walk up to the podium take long drive. Just gotta chuckle. If they are willing to do that it just says more about them than you.

Wow, some guys take this stuff seriously, chill out Francis. I did my first scramble 2 weeks ago and had a blast. Never even thought of winning (and we didn't even come close), but still had a blast. Perhaps we actually won (the smiles contest at least). I will play in another scramble with no trepidation.

I play in two charity scrambles every year. And they are a lot of fun and we have a lot of fun. And as usual just like so many here we all look past the prize vultures and their cheating ways. But being its a charity fun event its what actually makes it even more ridiculous that people cheat for prizes.

No one ever says anything and no one wants to be that guy to say something. But in reality its the cheaters at such an event that are the ones who should be embarrassed. Whether one is there to play well or not care there are still some the fun contests (that's part of what helps makes it fun too). So when people cheat others its still not right. I mean if people are going to cheat their way into prizes than what good is having all that good fun stuff take place in the first place? Its supposed to be fun and a positive good thing for usually a good cause which is the primary reason we are there. but that's what makes the cheating imo so very ridiculous and deserving of embarrassment.

Its not a matter of any "Francis" having to chill out. Its the point that people cheat others and to do so at such an event is imo even worse. Imo that's the same as cheating the very charity itself including all those who put their valuable time and efforts and money into making it possible and trying to make it as fun as can be.

Ive said this another scramble charity thread. As they announce (pre round) go over the course rules and play format and contests prior to playing they should also announce the following.
"to all those who know your going to win any the contest prizes, please come forward now and simply claim your prize right now so that no one will go out there and falsely believe they actually have a chance"

I mean why not just save all involved the work efforts of marking and tracking .etc...? Also eliminate the false sense of wondering who won anything since the person already knows no one else stands a chance. Why should people abuse the volunteered hard work and efforts of all involved and also give all the players and false sense of possible prizes? The whole thing imo is low. Imo its cheating the very charity itself and basically telling "everyone" they are crap and they dont count. Especially those who worked so hard to put it all together.

I never say anything and I dont even look for it, and we do just have fun, and wwe support the charity in addition to the golfing fees. but if one knows about it? they are not at all a "francis" if they wanted to say something or feel it bothers them. If I worked so hard to put it all together so that everyone has a good time all for the sake of the charity I would feel the cheaters are basically giving me the finger. And you know what? That is what they are doing to everyone. Its funny how one may refer to any complainer of such scenario a "francis" yet doesn't find the thoughts to call the cheaters anything at all. But that's the mindset because we want to take the high road yet in reality it is those cheating the charity that truly need to be called more than that and also deserve to be called out and imo embarrassed.

that's the part that makes it such a shame. Its for a good cause so why in the world cheat? Just have fun and support the reason your there and let the correct honest winners be the winners. And let all the people who worked hard and all the people participating enjoy an honest fun scramble.

they are not at all a "francis" if they wanted to say something or feel it bothers them. If I worked so hard to put it all together so that everyone has a good time all for the sake of the charity I would feel the cheaters are basically giving me the finger. And you know what? That is what they are doing to everyone. Its funny how one may refer to any complainer of such scenario a "francis" yet doesn't find the thoughts to call the cheaters anything at all. But that's the mindset because we want to take the high road yet in reality it is those cheating the charity that truly need to be called more than that and also deserve to be called out and imo embarrassed.
The "Francis" is the one calling him a cheater.

Played in a Scramble a few months ago during The Masters. The group in front of us was 4 elderly women. On the second hole (par 3) we were sitting down watching them play out the entire hole due to their incredibly slow pace of play (by the time they finished the hole there were 3 groups waiting). 3 of the women proceeds to hit it OB and one barely made it to the junior tees. Second shot ended up being a good 20 ft to the right of the green in the rough. Chip up for 3 and a one putt for 4. They all started cheering loudly saying, “Nice Par!” Then two of them proceeded to hit their putts for practice after their team mate already made the putt. It was unbelieveable. My friend was so mad he was absolutely going to call them out if they won, but they ended up in last place anyways. Karma

LOL... -23. That's funny.

Years ago, I hit what was my longest drive ever in benign conditions. Laser verified (I wanted to know so we propped two beer cans upon two others to afford a decent target back to the tee box) at 323 yards on a longest drive hole. We were the next to last group and mine outpaced the previous by a decent margin.

Guy who won it was at the next table and we heard him say, "yeah, like someone really hit it where they claimed. F*&# that guy."

My buddy, a rather large and ornery man said to him loudly so others would hear, "yeah, because it's absolutely impossible, right? You just won $100, congratulations, great drive. I'll give you $1k if right now, you drive one ball out of 5 shots on the range, just 250 yards. Just one." Then he pointed to me and said, "I'll give you $5k if you can out drive this man, the legitimate winner of your stolen prize."

The guy sunk in his chair and never moved nor replied and the crowd turned on him . It was funny. I didn't care much, I appreciated the show more than I would have the win.

I hate scrambles because of this, cheating is horrible and puts a debbie downer on the day.

Back