the appeal of raw wedges - start a discussion

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll put it out right out there; I don't like the look of a rusted raw wedge. I don't get it. Nobody seems to want raw irons or raw putters. So it just looks like you have a couple of beat up old clubs you stole from the loaner bin at the local muni.

In the spirit of understanding other people's points of view, please share why you like raw wedges (or why you don't)

Not a fan either. I like shiny or black wedges, can't stand rust.

I would play a raw set of irons and a raw putter if I could. Raw looks awesome.

I've played them before, but haven't for a while. I still have a 55 and 60 that are raw carbon steel. I should build them up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

it's not abused - it's well-used!

#hellnawthataintraw #inrustwetrust #mustrust

Looks cool and different.

That being said, I first started liking raw wedges when I was living in Arizona, where it took time and effort and vinegar to get wedges to rust. Now I live in a must more damp climate...and I still like it. But I could totally see being from a place where wedges rust whether you like it or not and that not having much appeal.

Anti-glare is the reason to play them. I do like them and would also happily game a raw iron set and putter.

I love the raw look and rust. To me its kind of a badge of honor. This was my dads from the other day. Rust rust rust

dc7acd2c1a4eb82473c8a79fbf0e328e.jpg

bb812c91214e71924fd383e6717e77d9.jpg

I have not played raw wedges but my next set that’s what I’m going with. The looks have grown on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for me either. I come from a metalworking background that evolved into engineering, and it is just ingrained in me that rust is to be prevented. I get it, and understand why some like it, but give me a nice Satin SS finish any day.

I hadn’t gamed raw wedges until this spring with my wedges from Cleveland Golf. I didn’t have any expectations of the look until afterwards when the rust began to set up. Honestly I love the look now. Over the course of time I have hit every finish out there, from traditional to chrome, to black, to blue, to beryllium copper. I like that there is no glare, and looking down at them it reminds me of my old Ping Eye 2 wedges from way back in the day brown dot, beryllium copper wedges. I loved those things and the look reminds me of them. And it’s just different to me.

I would absolutely play raw irons and probably will at some point. I’m a huge fan of the look, they’re all just a little different and unique and they don’t show wear like a chrome or a dark finish wedge.

I want to like them, but I can’t. I guess my ocd or something doesn’t let my brain accept the raw look.

love the look, and it's kinda like "distressed" flooring. little dings and marks aren't as big of a deal. Still convinced they feel better after getting rusted up too.

I like the raw look a lot but not a fan of the rust at all so after a round or two, the rust comes off. I've just started stripping an sm7 and it looks heaps better imo. Trying to strip my hi toe but it's taking a bit of effort. Having seen the raw version of it is just making me more determined to get it off.

I have looked at getting raw irons in the past. They unfortunately are few and far between.

I play with a raw putter. Mostly because I like the look.

I prefer raw wedges and for me this is because wedges get beat up a lot. They are a tool and I want them to look like a tool and not grimace when playing a shot off a rock.

I have looked at getting raw irons in the past. They unfortunately are few and far between.

I play with a raw putter. Mostly because I like the look.

I prefer raw wedges and for me this is because wedges get beat up a lot. They are a tool and I want them to look like a tool and not grimace when playing a shot off a rock.
What kind of raw putter?

Rusted wedges became a thing, it never really became a thing on other clubs though. I dont know if maybe its because rusty wedges makes it look like you practice your short game all the time and wore the chrome off you wedges, so you should be a short game wizard or something.
I personally like the look of rusted wedges but it doesnt make or break a wedge for me. I dont really have a preference in wedge finish.

I like the raw look a lot but not a fan of the rust at all so after a round or two, the rust comes off. I've just started stripping an sm7 and it looks heaps better imo. Trying to strip my hi toe but it's taking a bit of effort. Having seen the raw version of it is just making me more determined to get it off.
How do you go about stripping a chrome wedge without making it look like shat?

the appeal of raw wedges - start a discussion

I’m typically not a fan. However, I stripped the finish off some RTx3’s, and without the rust they glare like crazy. Necessary evil for me with these at the moment. Performance and thinking they feel “softer” is kind of insane to me though. They don’t feel any different.

How do you go about stripping a chrome wedge without making it look like shat?

sm7 is the black version. Apparently the hi toe is just a thin plating, could be wrong on that though.

Raw...gross.

giphy.gif

Love the look. Adds character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back