Could the Rules Be Simplified to 12?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In your opinion, do you think you could (or any governing body) change the rule book to have 12 rules of golf?

Depends what those 12 rules are, but I think it’s possible.

• Admin
Depends what those 12 rules are, but I think it’s possible.

Obviously hahah.
Thats just it. Could you bring it down to 12?

Obviously hahah.
Thats just it. Could you bring it down to 12?

I had to look up the rules as I was posting, I needed a filler post haha.

If they applied a bit of common sense, you could knock out five with no problem if they combined the first five. That’d bring them down to 19. Remove OB, we’re at 18. Now just need to kill 6.

I think it could be done, would be interesting and be more simplified for sure. I remember having to carry that big ole book around in junior golf and had to look stuff up a few times. It would be fun to try and do it I think.

Would be tough golf has so many variables, just look at that decision book

That would be tough and I probably couldn’t narrow it down myself, but I would love it if that happened.

Could it be done... most likely, because at some point in golf's history, I'm sure only 12 rules existed.... people complicate things all by themselves..... just look at some of the recent rules changes that pros are clowning like the new drop rule. Spirit of the rule should be a consideration when applying to minimize complexity

They would still find a way for the decision book to be over 100 pages

Rule 1 - Be Honest
Rule 2 - Play the ball as it lies
Rule 3 - Score is how many strokes it actually took to get to the hole
Rule 4 - All stakes are OB. Drop one and take a stroke

There. Done in 4.

Well, the first rule I would submit is any ball hit into water, you drop within 2 club lengths of where it went in, and take a stroke. Heck make that the rule for any place you can't hit out of.

I actually don't find the basic rules of golf all that confusing. What i find more confusing are the 162 pages of info that accommodate the official rule book. I wish golf had 24 rules without the 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 etc and the 35 pages of "definitions" that accompany the so called 24 rules. Maybe I'm just too honest, but a "use your best judgement" would be the perfect coverall for any gray areas.

Why not just go back to the original 13, seems straight forward enough.

https://www.igfgolf.org/about-golf/the-rules-of-golf/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, the original 13. Could really simplify things by saying play the ball as it lies everywhere. If you need to take relief of any kind, even a cart path or sprinkler head, you can do so but it costs you a penalty stroke. :act-up:

Well, the first rule I would submit is any ball hit into water, you drop within 2 club lengths of where it went in, and take a stroke. Heck make that the rule for any place you can't hit out of.

Wouldn't that be nice?

And while we're at it, ditch the "no closer to the hole" BS. It's 2 club lengths. No one is going to have a better shot thanks to 6 feet.

If you only need Rules for head to head or partner match play, you can simplify arbitrarily far. All the way down to one Rule, if you like (possible exception for a Stymie addendum to remove the temptation to chip off the putting green).

For stroke play in a large field event I suspect 12 or fewer could work just fine but it would mean lots of players dealing with situations they're going to howl about something awful if there's not a special Rule to give them relief.

I think we all play by roughly 12 rules anyway, but here's my Rules Wishlist:

1) Each player is allowed 14 clubs, including putter.
2) Players must tee-off from designated tee area, dictated by handicap.
3) Balls hit out-of-bounds -- drop at point of entry, 1 stroke penalty
4) Hazards are hazards -- drop at point of entry, 1 stroke penalty
5) Grounding club in hazard acceptable
6) Flagsticks may be kept in the cup while putting, or taken out
7) Free relief from Ground Under Repair and any man-made object (One club length)
8) Drops from any height off the ground allowed
9) Gimmies allowed after player surpasses par for the hole (within length of FLAG, not flagstick)
10) Mark balls on the green however you want, including to avoid pitch marks
11) Lost ball search limited to 3 mins, then drop in general vicinity, no penalty
12) Ball retrievers shot on sight

7) Free relief from Ground Under Repair and any man-made object (One club length)
9) Gimmies allowed after player surpasses par for the hole (within length of FLAG, not flagstick)
11) Lost ball search limited to 3 mins, then drop in general vicinity, no penalty

And if I get a 13th rule:

13) Golf balls are to be played up anywhere on the course and can be moved out of divots in fairway.

I dont really think its possible because there are far too many variable scenarios that take place. hency why the rule book is filled with a million.
I mean every time something happens to someone or someone does something another rule will need to appear.

I mean just look at the recent and huindred other threads that speak of divots. One simply rule....play the ball as it lies. But what about divots, what about tree roots, what about unplayables, hazrds, animal situations, etc,etc. So there is one simple rule and yet in 2 seconds we have scenarios that turn it into many rules just for that one.

Wouldn't that be nice?

And while we're at it, ditch the "no closer to the hole" BS. It's 2 club lengths. No one is going to have a better shot thanks to 6 feet.
Yeah, but 7.5' could be the difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2) My handicap is my eyesight. Which tee should I use?

8) So, basically, as close to placing it as possible without placing. Why not just place it?

9) If they're that close, why not just knock it in?

10) What?

11) General vicinity of what?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1) bring 16 to cover most any gap . (still requires ability but with less guesswork and less shot manipulating)
2) most overrated and ridiculous ideology going (within reason)
3) agree
4)sounds good
5)thats a tricky one (dont know)
6)leave it in all the time everywhere and end it (smoother flow to the game around and on the greens)
7)acceptable imo
8)agree
9)kind of an insult to those who play mostly bogie or worse golf imo cause it tells them thier play is less important than the par players game
10)how about pick up and mark to clean but only once, then not only cant one pick up again but also must finish putting out till holed (regardless of others lines)
11)Lost ball search = 1 (one) minute. thats all.
12)no one is shot . hahaha thats too funny... but we are human and dont have to be so barbaric. We can simply just tape their eyelids open in the sun. that should work just fine:)
but yes...retriever simply broken and thrown in the lake.

I had to look up the rules as I was posting, I needed a filler post haha.

If they applied a bit of common sense, you could knock out five with no problem if they combined the first five. That’d bring them down to 19. Remove OB, we’re at 18. Now just need to kill 6.

I agree with this, I’d have to drill down a bit more for those 6

Some of these lists could be replaced with just one Rule.

1) If you don't like the result of a shot, just pick it up and put it somewhere better. It's all good.

Back