What makes a shirt a "golf" shirt?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it the brand, the way it's marketed, is it the presence of a collar? What say you?

Well since you asked, it's not a couple of old t-shirts nor a Star Wars t-shirt in the marketplace.

Well since you asked, it's not a couple of old t-shirts nor a Star Wars t-shirt in the marketplace.
Why not? I've worn equivalent to the range and I'm sure many here have, too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It is whatever shirt I wear to the golf course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What commonly is referred to as a 'polo' shirt is the traditional golf shirt - short sleeve, collar, 3 buttons

The modern interpretation would be the "polo".

Or if you're Tiger and Nike, it's the mock neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I knew the answer to that question but then I saw Mickelson playing tournament golf wearing button down dress shirts, so now I guess my answer is "anything goes".

Whatever your course will let you wear, but for me it's any collared, top button shirt made of moisture wicking material.

A collared shirt made of technical material, or has a funky pattern whatever you can pull off and is still long enough to tuck in

Whatever your course will let you wear, but for me it's any collared, top button shirt made of moisture wicking material.
This would be my description.

whatever the course lets you wear. My home course is pretty lax on dress code and it doesn't bother me one bit. I'll always wear a polo and shorts because that's what I feel comfortable in, but many just wear t-shirts and as long as they're respecting pace of play and the course - I could care less.

I guess I’m a traditionalist.....polo shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Id say its a collared shirt. Id say that in modern terms, its also a collared shirt that is made of moisture-wicking, athletic material and is cut to more of an athletic fit but any polo shirt will do.

A shirt you can wear to play golf does not make it a golf shirt. IMO, a golf shirt is a collared shirt, that is marketed to golfers. Though, what qualifies as golfing apparel is changing, so, crew neck shirts (tee shirts) may qualify.

Collared polo shirt, generally made of performance material.

I will say that there are cotton blends out there that look much like jersey material but wick moisture effectively that stand in the gap between purely fashion polo shirts (pique polos, jersey cotton polos) and golf polos.

This is a much harder question for women to answer.

For me a golf shirt is a polo with wicking material.

a Golf shirt has sleeves and a collar... or a mock!

Performance material shirt with a collar for me. Absolutely NO Cotton.

Pretty much every shirt I own I'm willing to play golf in..... therefore, a golf shirt

For me it has to have 2 or 3 buttons, be collared and not a crazy designed shirt. Fabric doesn't matter to me.

For the most part I'm wearing a polo shirt. The exception I've made is when I'm taking my kids out for a casual round then I'll go with a t shirt sometimes.

Is it the brand, the way it's marketed, is it the presence of a collar? What say you?
For me it is what ever is allowed on the course. If I have to wear a polo I will but if I can wear a Tshirt I will do that. It's all about comfort for me.

Standard polo shirt for me; collar, buttons, and material is irrelevant, so long as it's comfortable for the day's weather.

Basically, a polo shirt, but the sleeves are not tight to the biceps like that of a polo player's.

Back