TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Anyone add a second front track weight to have a set up similar to the R15 while keeping the back track weight in place?

I've considered adding a 2nd weight on the front track to bring the swing weight back up a touch, but I am too hesitant right now to mess with what is working. With a shorter heavier shaft I was at D2.5 then I put a mmc +4 grip on and it brought it down to D1.5. I do want to try it sometime.

It's a great club! Lot's of great clubs, just need to find the one that matches your swing!

I agree with that. Lots of great clubs on the market today and I have hit most of them. I bought a Callaway GBB when they came out and a Heavenwood, as soon as I hit the M1 the GBB driver went up on eBay but you will have to shoot me to get that Heavenwood out of my bag.. I am a toe hitter when I miss the center of the face and I just think the M1 is so forgiving on the Toe side that it works really well for me.

I've considered adding a 2nd weight on the front track to bring the swing weight back up a touch, but I am too hesitant right now to mess with what is working. With a shorter heavier shaft I was at D2.5 then I put a mmc +4 grip on and it brought it down to D1.5. I do want to try it sometime.

Having a second weight and bringing up the total weight is a smart idea if you're just bringing up 1 SW point. Smash factor is higher with higher club head weight which will compensate for the loss of speed from the shorter shaft.

Having a second weight and bringing up the total weight is a smart idea if you're just bringing up 1 SW point. Smash factor is higher with higher club head weight which will compensate for the loss of speed from the shorter shaft.

Yeah I should probably give it a try. I think what I'd do is replace the 15 in the front with 2 10s. I'm just hesitant to mess with it as I've never been hitting driver this well before.

Yeah I should probably give it a try. I think what I'd do is replace the 15 in the front with 2 10s. I'm just hesitant to mess with it as I've never been hitting driver this well before.

Well that's the best part about these drivers, you get to put it back to the way it was if you don't like it. I like the plan, let us know how it works out!

I tried my friends yesterday on a few holes and it couldn't touch my I25. Something feels odd about TM drivers when I swing them and I can't put my finger on it but I don't like it.

Ready for THP Club Clash
3ec8ac74be24a947da5f3fe526d56935.jpg

That is awesome.

Being stuck in Australia and seeing all the THP Club Clash goodness is so hard XD

Ready for THP Club Clash

Awesome stuff. I know this club isn't for everyone, but for me this is the best club I have ever owned. Looking forward to following along with club clash.

Finally got a few rounds in with this (430 10.5) and so far sooo good. I have no measured distances but playing 3 rounds at my home course I can say I am hitting this further than my J815. The forgiveness on this seems to be plenty. Extreme low hits are punished but that's expected. I will say I am a little more offline with it but I'm thinking that is due to playing it at the stock 45.5" vs the 44.5-45" that I usually play. Yes I actually have missed a lot of fairways with this driver but 85% of those missed were 3ft or less in the rough. I love the sound, feel and look of this driver. The launch for me is a nice mid penetrating flight and even balls that I hit higher than normal with it don't balloon up which I had issues with on the J815, I contribute that to lower spin. I have cut it down about .5" so we will see the difference that makes when I get out more this week.

Awesome stuff. I know this club isn't for everyone, but for me this is the best club I have ever owned. Looking forward to following along with club clash.

After this past weekend, it turned out to be a lot better club for a lot more of us than many of us expected. I know it was for me. Once I got the weight moved all the way forward, I was hitting it very long and very, very straight. I had no fear on Sunday with that club in my hands. I can't wait to swing it again.

After this past weekend, it turned out to be a lot better club for a lot more of us than many of us expected. I know it was for me. Once I got the weight moved all the way forward, I was hitting it very long and very, very straight. I had no fear on Sunday with that club in my hands. I can't wait to swing it again.

I was surprised how well I hit this and the results I saw from it on the course and the range. Also watched afwcardinal hit some long drives with high toe contact and bomb it when hit close to center.

I was surprised how well I hit this and the results I saw from it on the course and the range. Also watched afwcardinal hit some long drives with high toe contact and bomb it when hit close to center.
I saw a few of those in our round together too. He really got along with that Rogue Silver that was in that one. It wasnt subtle, either. The first one he hit was an eye opener.

I saw a few of those in our round together too. He really got along with that Rogue Silver that was in that one. It wasnt subtle, either. The first one he hit was an eye opener.

Thats the one he hit yesterday. He had several eye opening moments with it including a is hit that went farther than a crushed GBB

My experience sounds like it was similar to a number of the testers. I didn't get along at all with the Fuji pro shaft. I couldn't control it at all. I found the right shaft pairing and it was a completely different club. I ended up keeping the weight in the back as my numbers were really good with it and it was launching high but spin was still low enough. I haven't bothered testing the weight forward since the first week I had it I need to not change a thing right now. I'll say I was surprised to hear it being more forgiving than the M2, but I don't have a lot of experience with that club.

Thats the one he hit yesterday. He had several eye opening moments with it including a is hit that went farther than a crushed GBB

Yeah, we had some recap conversations in the villa Saturday night and that M1 had his attention. Im glad he got to take it back out on Sunday and confirm what he was seeing. I don't think he even hit that one on the range on Friday.

My experience sounds like it was similar to a number of the testers. I didn't get along at all with the Fuji pro shaft. I couldn't control it at all. I found the right shaft pairing and it was a completely different club. I ended up keeping the weight in the back as my numbers were really good with it and it was launching high but spin was still low enough. I haven't bothered testing the weight forward since the first week I had it I need to not change a thing right now. I'll say I was surprised to hear it being more forgiving than the M2, but I don't have a lot of experience with that club.

Its not more forgiving than the M2, but they are closer that I originally thought. The adjustability gives the M1 an extra gear that the M2 doesn't have, but the M2 with the right shaft is a very, very good, fairway finding driver. If had the access to game both on a round-by-round basis, I would pick the M2 if I was playing a shorter, tighter course that demanded accuracy and placement.

Interesting. Are you going to consider changing the back weight position when you play those tighter courses? I've found the the M1 to be plenty forgiving, but of course my miss is in the right spot for this club.

Ready for THP Club Clash

BTW, if you would have told me then that I would be CHOOSING one of these as my own at the end of the weekend, I would told you that you were nuts. Not on the radar at all.

Interesting. Are you going to consider changing the back weight position when you play those tighter courses? I've found the the M1 to be plenty forgiving, but of course my miss is in the right spot for this club.

I don't think so. The the ball flight improvement from the weight forward seemed to tighten up the dispersion a lot so I don't know if Id gain any accuracy in doing so. All of my numbers from the Friday range session were with the weight in the middle. Those were a touch on the high side for me, spin-wise (way high on the one miss), so I suspect that the weight moving forward brought those spin numbers down to where I need them and locked it in. My miss has been high center and high toe lately and I wasn't seeing much loss on those hits on Sunday.
73841900d8270a0c061f0a3fc8895021.jpg

I was just as surprised add both of you. I did not hit this on the range, because this was the only club that I hat not in a monitor before. And the results were not that good.
Saturdays round with EvsF, that first swing with the M1 was very surprising. Shocking was more what I thought. C and that second swing on our last hole, made me a believer.
Getting lucky enough to see this club again on Sunday made my day. The hole into the wind, hit the GBB and the M1 on the same hole into the wind, that was cool to see. That was the hole that sold me on the M1 performance. 18 on Sunday may have sealed the deal for me.

Your numbers there aren't that far off from mine, though my swing is slower. When I was on CG2 at the fitting I saw 156 ball speed, 16° launch and 2400 spin. I get high altitude carry and desert roll out here, I imagine your distances will only go up back in Colorado.

I was just as surprised add both of you. I did not hit this on the range, because this was the only club that I hat not in a monitor before. And the results were not that good.
Saturdays round with EvsF, that first swing with the M1 was very surprising. Shocking was more what I thought. C and that second swing on our last hole, made me a believer.
Getting lucky enough to see this club again on Sunday made my day. The hole into the wind, hit the GBB and the M1 on the same hole into the wind, that was cool to see. That was the hole that sold me on the M1 performance. 18 on Sunday may have sealed the deal for me.

that was impressive hole. There were a couple where the toe miss went a lot further than we had expected.

I posted this elsewhere but here are my numbers. Head to Head with M1, M2 and JGR

1c8c221bdef92a27bbfac9b0d639a93e.jpg

Your numbers there aren't that far off from mine, though my swing is slower. When I was on CG2 at the fitting I saw 156 ball speed, 16° launch and 2400 spin. I get high altitude carry and desert roll out here, I imagine your distances will only go up back in Colorado.
Yeah, I cant wait to see what it does up here, especially compared to what I expect from my now former gamer.

Those are good numbers there. You might just have it set up perfectly already.

Back