I have always thought golf courses could do a better job motivating people to enter the clubhouse on the turn. Buy a snack, buy a drink, buy a hat, buy some balls, enjoy the air conditioning, etc. So while I don't have a problem with people 'skipping' the the turn, I think courses could find a better way to promote the break between 9 and 10.

I agree. Having always played with buddies mostly on weekends. We know we're in for a 4+ hour round most of the time. The "turn" is a nice break but not something we always partake in. Sunday we had a 2-some ahead of us and they only played the front 9. #10 was open so we drove right past the clubhouse/snack shack and kept right on playing.

The last couple years my wife has started playing and we play with another couple. The courses we play won't have port-a-johns out for a few more weeks I'd guess. So they need to use the restroom at the turn. Also they usually want a snack and I don't want to play with "hangry" wives. If #10 is open and the group behind wants to play through, just ask, or wave...

I remember a time last year we did exactly that. Grabbed some hotdogs and we're sitting in the shade for a moment while the group ahead tee'd off on #10. As the last one hit we drove over to the tee box just as the next group arrived (its kind of a blind spot with some bushes and a small block building right there. We offered for the other group to go ahead while we finished eating our 'dogs. One guy quickly spoke up, "not a chance I'm hitting with the ladies watching, I've seen them playing and don't need that embarrassment!"

Agree, you were in the right. I think a "one, two piece" was in order. :D

What I hate is get stuck behind a slow group that has no idea what they are doing. They have no one in front of them for several holes and they are holding up everyone. They have no idea they should let faster players through.

What I hate is get stuck behind a slow group that has no idea what they are doing. They have no one in front of them for several holes and they are holding up everyone. They have no idea they should let faster players through.
That's why scorecards have the phone number to the pro shop on it. Use it and have them send a marshal out.

I have always thought golf courses could do a better job motivating people to enter the clubhouse on the turn. Buy a snack, buy a drink, buy a hat, buy some balls, enjoy the air conditioning, etc. So while I don't have a problem with people 'skipping' the the turn, I think courses could find a better way to promote the break between 9 and 10.

We actually have a 'hut' above the tee box of 10 which is stocked with tea coffee sodas and food.
It can slow down rounds of people really go at it but generally it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I don't understand in this is, if you arrived at any tee box where they had not teed off, why didn't they let you through as the obvious faster group? You could have all driven off together so as not to unduly delay anyone else, such as the group behind you, and then pulled away as you were obviously always waiting on them at tees and no doubt approach shots also!

If it's not a competition then you haven't left the course without permission, which I'm sure there's a rule somewhere about, and as the group in front hadn't teed off after your short break, then the order of play should not be affected IMO and the group that was behind you shouldn't have any grounds to cut-in!

I think this isn't so much about that situation on the 10th personally, it should be about slow play and not being let through when there were clear opportunities to do so and as such, you were being unduly delayed!

See quote below! You are making an unsupported assumption.

The course was packed. We were a foursome, keeping up with a twosome because they were stuck behind about 12 other foursomes.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

You were in the right. The guys behind you were being jerks. My home course actually has 5 minutes built into the required pace of play for stopping at the turn to hit the rest room or grab a sandwich and a drink.

If you aren't back on the tee ready to play by the time the group ahead is out of range, then you had better hustle it up. Otherwise you are good to go.

That's why scorecards have the phone number to the pro shop on it. Use it and have them send a marshal out.

Keeping things friendly as you can should be the goal. That and you never know what the guy has in his bag. The pro shop likely has enough information to discourage bad behaviour and its really their job to do it.

See quote below! You are making an unsupported assumption.

Erm, no!

My response which was clearly quoted in post #62 and was in reply to aPeglegNinja (#60) where he at no point mentions other groups in front of the group he was pushing and hadn't even teed off at times when his group arrived on those said tees, so wind yer neck in sunshine :foot-in-mouth:

Its kind of ridiculous but its almost like we would need signage on the 10th tee explaining what happens in this situation just because people have to be jerks. I mean really its common sense and very simple. If the group who stopped is back and ready by the time its clear to tee off then they still stay in their spot. Its just that simple.

Where I use to live we always had painfully slow rounds and stopping at the clubhouse for a bite was quite common and also was common for every tee to have 2 4somes. It was always known that no one loses their spot so long as they are there when its clear to tee off. I mean cheeeze, you know exactly who the group in front of you is and you get to 10 and are waiting because no one can hit yet and that group in front of you went into the clubhouse but comes back in time to tee off and someone is going to think they lost their spot? So ridiculous, These are reasons why I don't want more people playing golf. I mean does something like this need to be posted on a rule board at the 10th tee? The stupidity is just amazing. Or is it just outright being a jerk?

Erm, no!

My response which was clearly quoted in post #62 and was in reply to aPeglegNinja (#60) where he at no point mentions other groups in front of the group he was pushing and hadn't even teed off at times when his group arrived on those said tees, so wind yer neck in sunshine :foot-in-mouth:

On this side of the pond, we actually have those traffic jams regularly, so it's far more logical to assume that they were right on the tail of several more groups than to assume that there was space to let another fourball through.

I played today, Thursday, and when I arrived at 9:30 the earliest time for a single was 12:44, so I signed up then went and ran some errands. The course in front was filled with full groups when I finally teed off, and though we were pressed from behind the entire round (I was paired up with a threesome), we were not slow and there was no place for a group to play through to. This is common and expected every day of the week on my home course..... so don't get your knickers in a bunch, Sunshine!

On this side of the pond, we actually have those traffic jams regularly, so it's far more logical to assume that they were right on the tail of several more groups than to assume that there was space to let another fourball through.

I played today, Thursday, and when I arrived at 9:30 the earliest time for a single was 12:44, so I signed up then went and ran some errands. The course in front was filled with full groups when I finally teed off, and though we were pressed from behind the entire round (I was paired up with a threesome), we were not slow and there was no place for a group to play through to. This is common and expected every day of the week on my home course..... so don't get your knickers in a bunch, Sunshine!

I never assume, and, you quoted from a different post, not the one I was referring to, squirm all you like, you were wrong to task me and assume anything, and, it's knickers in a twist not bunch :wink:

http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/Golf-Etiquette-101/

We should all take the time to read these and adhere to them ALL!

My favorite is "when on the green, do not stand in the line or cast a shadow over the line." I play with too many people who do not pay enough attention to what is going on around them when they are on the green. Kind of reminds me of how some people drive their cars ..... with blinders on.

What is your favorite? And does your foursome have "Golf Etiquette?"

Well I guess I know now how best to annoy you the next time we're out.

Best part of that article? The fact that EVERYONE thinks that it should apply to everyone ELSE.

Apparently- everyone plays in 2 hours and 12 minutes, Never jingles their change in the pocket, never zooms the cart up to the tee just as someone is teeing off (a pet peeve), never stands right on top of you while putting or teeing off, never spends 45 seconds reading that 1 footer for an 8, and so on and so on.

It only works well for places where pace is always an issue. Where I use to live pace was unbearable and so the lunch business was always great for the vendor or whoever is running the business. Was always doing great business. But when courses have a decent pace such courses get hurt and can barely survive. My county courses use to have full kitchen leased out to outside vendor and they would change every 2years because they couldn't make a living. Now with our latest vendor its strictly food cart only. Pace is such a front and center topic nowadays that people are just not going to stop unless the course is actually backed up. No one wants to be the group that should have teed off at 10 even 4 minutes ago but didn't because they all went in for a burger or hotdog. Its just the nature of the beast.

But to be honest, promoting a stopover imo sort works against the whole pace thing anyway. I mean the peer pressure is on in most places to keep pace and enforce it too. That just doesn't work in the same sentence as also promoting a stopover. Its like "hey, you have to keep pace" ..... "but when you get to 10 make sure you stop for a break". It just doesn't work imo.

Then there is also money. Plenty people must keep their golf as cheap as possible and even the few extra bucks vs bringing your own snacks is important to many people. It does add up to mean more golf for the year.

Back