LOL moment during yesterday's round

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I went out last night to a course that normally beats me up. I've been struggling a bit lately, so why not punish myself?

Anyway, I actually had a good round going and ended up shooting 92, under my handicap at this course.

On the 18th hole, I hit a nice drive out about 225, but left primary rough.

Still had 250+ left, so I grabbed my 5w.

Hit a beautiful, low, piercing shot. Right at the middle of the fairway. Right at the fairway marker I used as my aiming point. 150 yards away.

And dead center punched the marker, causing the ball to come back 50+ yards and end up less than 100 from where I struck it.

I actually laughed and couldn't stop for about 5 minutes. Because it was not only funny, but now that marker is still between me and the hole, so as I addressed, looked to the hole, there it stood. Silently mocking me. Then I would crack up again.

Last edited:
Golf is a cruel b1@#$ when it wants to be..

I went out last night to a course that normally beats me up. I've been trugglign a bit lately, so why not punish myself?

Anyway, I actually had a good round going and ended up shooting 92, under my handicap at this course.

Hit a beautiful, low, piercing shot. Right at the middle of the fairway. Right at the fairway marker I used as my aiming point. 150 yards away.

And dead center punched the marker, causing the ball to come back 50+ yards and end up less than 100 from where I struck it.

I actually laughed and couldn't stop for about 5 minutes. Because it was not only funny, but now that marker is still between me and the hole, so as I addressed, looked to the hole, there it stood. Silently mocking me. Then I would crack up again.
I call these shots (too many in my bag to count btw) the shots you couldn't hit again if you tried! The perfect strike only to be "rewarded" with some bad break, lousy lie, or unexpected outcome. They are right up there with hitting a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway only to get up to where the ball should be and finding nothing... sigh

generally if I want to miss a tree or something like that I aim dead center of it and 99% of the time miss it..aim to draw of fade around it and hit it dead center everytime..

I went out last night to a course that normally beats me up. I've been trugglign a bit lately, so why not punish myself?

LOL!! That's awesome.

oh and last round had two dead center putts bounce off the damn flagstick and end up a foot away...

I call these shots (too many in my bag to count btw) the shots you couldn't hit again if you tried! The perfect strike only to be "rewarded" with some bad break, lousy lie, or unexpected outcome. They are right up there with hitting a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway only to get up to where the ball should be and finding nothing... sigh

Yeah, the part that just made me laugh is, the post is round. That had to be an absolutely perfect hit for the ball to come backwards. I did the same thing last year off a cart stake. But the stake was 20 yard in front of me. And I was off the tee. sad.

Yeah, the part that just made me laugh is, the post is round. That had to be an absolutely perfect hit for the ball to come backwards. I did the same thing last year off a cart stake. But the stake was 20 yard in front of me. And I was off the tee. sad.

I liked the fact it didn't have to say anything to you. It just looked at you smugly.

That's fantastic! These are the best stories. You have to laugh.

I once broke a 150 stick in half with a shot like that, albeit from closer.

It happens, never at the appropriate time.

A local course I play some has high power lines going over several holes. A local rule is you have the option to replay the shot if it hits them.

Never have a hit a bad drive that has hit them. In fact I’m likely for it to be the best struck one of the round. The replay ball is very likely to be dunked or hit OOB. I had one hit one dead solid and came virtually straight down but straight 150-175 from the tee box. I played it knowing my next one would likely be much much worse, lol.

playing a course with round teebox markers. One day the red tees were 3 yards in front of the whites. I made some comment along the lines of "If I can't get this ball past the ladies tees, I really will do the elephant walk". I proceed to lash a driver as hard as I can at that time, it hits the round marker dead center and ricochets 100 yards behind us. I still get mocked about that occasionally

A local course I play some has high power lines going over several holes. A local rule is you have the option to replay the shot if it hits them.

Never have a hit a bad drive that has hit them. In fact I’m likely for it to be the best struck one of the round. The replay ball is very likely to be dunked or hit OOB. I had one hit one dead solid and came virtually straight down but straight 150-175 from the tee box. I played it knowing my next one would likely be much much worse, lol.

We used to play on a course that had power lines and a metal support tower about 100 yards beyond the tee. One time we played in foggy conditions, & the guy on the tee crushed a drive, but we couldn't tell what direction. Then we hear a loud metallic "bonnng". Good thing everyone ducked because the ball came right back through the tee box and ended 30 yards behind us.

Wasn’t me, although I’ve hit my fair share of stupid shots, but I watched a guy yank a drive dead left and hit a tree about 10yds in front of us and the ball ended up about 70yds behind us

Just think if you the hit the marker off center and the ball careened into the woods!

Dave

Believe it or not I have had this exact thing happen twice so I feel your pain. And of course both my shots were really smokes by my standards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Good stuff in this thread. When I first started playing, I hit a driver that I just yanked left off the get go. The ball probably went about 30 yards down range but a good 50 yards left when suddenly it turned and came back across the fairway and ended up about 40 yards down range and 50 yards right of the fairway. To this day I have no idea how the heck I managed to pull that off but talk about some crazy spin on the ball.

Back