do you break 100 honestly ?

fireshriner

Reaction score
Handicap
so do you break 100 honestly ? or do you claim to break a 100 but yet take mulligans, pick up your short putts, pick up your ball after a certain number of strokes ,ignore penalty strokes, move your ball to a better lie , etc.
I personally shoot low 100's and have broke into the 90's a few times but i am super strict with my game and do not fudge on my scorecard or shots taken.
I am so close to shooting below 100 consistently and have worked so hard to get there but i find it so funny how many golfers i meet and play with sometimes that shoot over a 100 but yet post a 80 or 90 something on their card :bulgy-eyes:

so do you break 100 honestly ? or do you claim to break a 100 but yet take mulligans, pick up your short putts, pick up your ball after a certain number of strokes ,ignore penalty strokes, move your ball to a better lie , etc.
I personally shoot low 100's and have broke into the 90's a few times but i am super strict with my game and do not fudge on my scorecard or shots taken.
I am so close to shooting below 100 consistently and have worked so hard to get there but i find it so funny how many golfers i meet and play with sometimes that shoot over a 100 but yet post a 80 or 90 something on their card :bulgy-eyes:

Great question and when I do Break it Yes it's honest but it doesn't happen all the time.
I will never understand the Low Vanity caps since they are really only hurting themselves but to each their own.

Last year, breaking 100 took mulligans, gimmes, etc. Real score probably 110+

This year, yes, I normally break 100 all rules followed.

Mulligans, Breakfast balls, etc, I can shoot into the high 80s and low 90s

Yeah, when I play I do not take mulligans and do not improve my lie. It's real.

I very rarely take mulligans, and I like to play by the rules that work for everyone in the group (i.e. I don't go back to the tee for a ball that goes out of bounds as that would force everyone else to wait.) But yes, I do break 100. Most of the time I manage to break 90, and yesterday I shot a solid 80.

I don't take mulligans or use a foot wedge, and I break 100.

Any score I shoot, I shoot honestly - would hate to have a good round and have to qualify it with *well I didn't putt that five footer *I took a mulligan on the first tee *I bumped my ball in the rough...

This is a tough game, what ever one wants to do to break 100 is up to them as long as they are having fun and not impeding play for others. If your not in a comp, playing for $ then who cares. If you are playing with buddies they will call you out on your foot wedge if playing for bragging rights.

In casual rounds the only one you answer to is yourself.

I don't improve my lie or ignore penalty strokes, but I do sometimes pick up putts within 18 inches or so and I will sometimes pick a ball up after I have reached my ESC maximum score on a particular hole (currently a 7 for me at my club) to maintain pace of play.

This is a tough game, what ever one wants to do to break 100 is up to them as long as they are having fun and not impeding play for others. If your not in a comp, playing for $ then who cares. If you are playing with buddies they will call you out on your foot wedge if playing for bragging rights.

In casual rounds the only one you answer to is yourself.

... When I was first introduced to golf by a friend that told me h usually shoots in the 80's. He never broke 100 because he played mulligans, dropped with no stroke penalty, even when OB. Took extra putts and didn't count multiple shots in the bunker. I think score is a measuring stick and most of us that play golf do care. Now if I am paired up with someone or am just having a conversation with someone that says they shoot around 90 but don't play by the rules, I agree and could not care less how they choose to play and have fun. But if you are going to tell people you break 100, I think you should do so playing by the rules.

Oh yeah, it happens! Not as often as I'd like. Shot a 95 last weekend which included 3 8's and a 9... Grrrr!! I've broken 90 4 or 5 times too, been a couple of years since the last time. Had a 90 last season twice, All straight by the rules. My index is still over 20.

It's a tough game, but the group of seniors that I play with won't allow mulligans or gimmees. Our scores are what we played. And our handicaps are accurate. Almost everyone breaks 100 every round. (All this for a $2 a round bet)

Judging by my last outing I don't think I could break 100 if I DID cheat. But I play everything straight.

Only exception is not going back to the tee for a ball that I know just evaporated. If I know it's gone (or even close) I'll hit a provisional, if I see right where it went, get there, and it's just gone I'll drop and take a penalty. Instead of making the people getting to the tee behind me really angry.

Yessireeeeeeeeeeee

do you break 100 honestly ?

Only when my pencils have erasers on them

Last edited:
10/29/17 I fired a 99 at Fox Hollow. 45-54. Huge Double-Double finish to break 100.

when i hit the ball OB or into the water. im probably not dropping it in the correct spot all the time. by no means do i put it in the middle of the fairway. i just dont know the exact rules, and for pace purpose i just drop it in the area where i think the ball went in plus a club length no closer to the hole. besides that i think my score is pretty correct.

Growing up with golfing parents, I learned rules and etiquette from day one. They have stayed with me for decades. I may take another shot practice shot, but always play the first ball. I putt out all putts for practice. I have taken mulligans before on the first tee, but want to get a real assessment of my game. It's a great sense of accomplishment to get an honest par (at this point in my game) or GIRs. I don't worry about a handicap for competitive reasons, but it's a barometer on my progress.

We never use mulligans these days. I remember when I first started we would give ourselves a mulligan on the first hole only because we always started so early we didn't have time to warm up properly. We didn't hit a warm up bucket either. We typically would get there when it was still dark without a tee time. The guys with the tee times would let us go first because there wasn't enough light for them. By the second hole there was plenty of light. We played pretty fast and we were usually at our favorite Mexican restaurant eating breakfast before ten. We paid the fees before hitting off the 10th.

I'll admit my playing partners and I give each other gimmies if it looks less than a foot and a half. Anything longer we don't even ask if its a gimmie. We hit it. Usually its not the player who asks for a gimmie. One of us will pick it up and toss it to him. Its part of trying to play faster.

I always ask my playing partners if a certain drop is legal or not. So when I break 100 its pretty much straight up. Heck, I sometimes give myself an extra stroke out of frustration. It usually happens with a bad hole. They guy keeping score will say "Did you get a triple?" I'd say "I got a quadruple" Then he'd mention every shot and dang it was only a triple. I get so frustrated I think its worse. This has happened more than once.

when i hit the ball OB or into the water. im probably not dropping it in the correct spot all the time. by no means do i put it in the middle of the fairway. i just dont know the exact rules, and for pace purpose i just drop it in the area where i think the ball went in plus a club length no closer to the hole. besides that i think my score is pretty correct.

Yeah, we always drop it no closer to the hole. We do the club length too. I think its legal to go further back because its no closer to the hole but in order to speed things up we normally drop it what looks like a club length. Two club lengths if there is a fence. We always try to play fast if we're not waiting for a group in front of us.

Yep. For a long time I played very casually with the rules and kept an inaccurate handicap. It may be higher now, but it's honest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes I do and no on the mulligans/ extra balls. My normal group is very strict on rules. My buddies that I play with on occasion think I'm crazy playing with no mulligans but I think it only makes me better.

I'm not that good of a golfer but IMO the easist way to break 100 is better course management.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes and I pick up short putts and give myself the most likely score. I don't get why people think picking up a 11 inch putt invalidates a round somehow.

But yes I have broken 100 in tournaments, hence the old saying there is golf and tournament golf and they are not the same thing at all. One I follow the rules in strictly the other I play for fun.

Yeah I break 100 whilst following the rules. I've never done give me's and don't really understand the fascination with them. Make the putt. Honestly, at this point I think I'd quit if I couldn't break 100. I'm giving myself to the end of the year to consistently break 90 or I think I'm done with golf.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

They save time. If I have to putt out then I mark anything I am not 100% on so that includes all the line straddling 10 inch putts. Besides I hit a bunch on the practice green where the putting work takes place.

Back