Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call them on the penalty and not told him his ball went into sink hole

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Called him on penalty but still found his ball in sink hole

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Not called penalty and found his ball in sink hole

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
If this is stroke play, I think you call the penalty. If it's a scramble, I don't have an issue with it. I played in a scramble last week and one of my playing partners, who is a good friend, called a mulligan on a par 3 tee box, hit the shot and when he preferred his first shot over the second tried to say he could keep the mulligan. I was like, no I don't think we can do that and he said, yeah I've seen it done before and I was like we're good enough to win this without doing stuff like that. Let's play it the right way. He even did the same thing on a putt when calling a mulligan. Made me feel super uncomfortable.

I say all that to say, if this was a pretty serious tourney, I think it has to be called. With that amount of money, I'd say it was pretty serious. Congrats on 4th!

no such thing as a gimmie in golf and stroke play. In match its not really a gimmie either but just more of a conceding of the hole because ones stroke count is already defeated.

In match play, any putt can be conceded even if the hole, conceded putt, results in the hole becoming a tie.

But what was it that they really did wrong? If a players ball went into something and he/she wasn't aware, they didn't do anything wrong.
As for the holding the pin situation, As said I'd feel even if that dumb rule still existed that it would be petty to call someone for that. I understand rules are rules but some are too ridiculous and when play itself is not being given an advantage then imo that too would be petty to call upon. And the fact that its ridiculous is probably why it was changed.

Not sure, it's just how I usually handle these issues that arise now and then. Most people aren't doing something wrong on purpose and it's not live or death to me. He may have not done anything wrong for all I know!!

In a tournament situation I will call the penalty and have called the penalty. As one of the others in the group it is your responsibility to protect the rest of the field. Golf is a game of integrity and it is everyone's responsibility to up hold it.
In a casual round have at it, but tournaments are different. The penalty has to be called.

This... Also to those of you who have said they wouldn't call the penalty , at what point would you feel it necessary to call a penalty on someone? Hitting a ball that's clearly OOB? Hitting wrong ball? This was a competitive round so the rules must be followed, all of them.

I'm not being a dick, I'm just failing to see the big deal about this? I feel like it's not a competitive advantage to have a flag in ur hand

If you're not going to call them on it when it happens, it seems kinda silly to bring it up after the fact. Money or not.

I believe that the flagstick cannot be touching the ground either. This would then be an anchor point which/assistance in the put which is a different rule violation.

I'm not being a dick, I'm just failing to see the big deal about this? I feel like it's not a competitive advantage to have a flag in ur hand
It isn't, and it is no longer against the rules.

I would not have called the penalties as I don't believe holding the flag helped him in any way.
Is it against the rules? I always thought it was, but maybe I need to revisit the rule book.

Four hundred is good chunk of change but I personally don't think I would have called him on holding the flag stick.

I too, would let them know about it, but not call the penalty. Unless they did it again and were being dbags about it, too. As much as it sucks, you did the right thing.

Decision 17-1/5 covers it. As long as the flagstick is removed from the hole, you aren't leaning on it, and the ball doesn't hit it, you're in the clear and no penalty.

I'd let it go as well. Real golfers call themselves out, that's what makes our game great. I probably wouldn't be doing that event in the future... Not to mention, there is no honor among thieves, they will get theirs in the long run...

It's a gentleman's game, but not everyone playing is a gentleman. You should always call penalties out when prizes are on the line. It's not being a Dbag, it's looking out for the field and protecting the integrity of the results for everyone playing in the event.

I realize the example here isn't a penalty, but in general penalties should be called/accessed when in tournament play when there is a breach.

Back