Your 2019 Season in Review So Far

So far 2019 has been a little disappointing. I'm scoring in the mid to low 80's, and although my back is a bit of an issue, I can't blame it for my scoring. My chipping and short game need work. However, I am enjoying the game as much as ever.

The last round at the Odyssey Experience and the few rounds afterward were my best golf this year. I had an 86 that was as good a day tee to green as a I’ve had in a couple of years day along with a couple of other mid-80 rounds. Some surgery intervened and now I’m trying to get back where I was. All in all, the game is in much better much better shape than a year ago and has improved significantly since making a 10 footer to break 100 in March.

Well, I haven't shot in three digits yet, so that's a plus. Best round is two 85s.

Putting has been mostly incredible thus far (several long 30 plus footers have already dropped and my distance control is better than it has been in a long time) and my driving distance is becoming almost respectable. Iron play is coming around as well.

It's amazing what happens to your shoulder turn when you go to a new chiropractor that makes your back stop hurting for more than a day. My back feels as good as it has in probably 30 years.

After a three year break, only playing two or three times a year, I had just two goals. Shoot par or better and get my handicap under two. I'm a former +2 and held that handicap for about three years after college. Family, marriage, kids, home ownership and the handicap takes a hit.

I get to hit balls once a week, twice if I'm lucky and play once a week. I putt constantly at home on my Big Moss and hit wedges in the yard while the kids are in the pool. I've got about 70 yards, so I can hit some decent shots.

Last Sunday I shot a bogey free 69 and my handicap currently sits at 1.7.

I also got to play Muirfield Village this year. That wasn't a goal but moreso one of the biggest highlights of my 20 years in the sport.

My goals are really set for next year as I'm looking to get back into playing competitively in four or five tournaments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Started the season hot with a full bag of fresh weapons. Cap dropped to 6.1.
I've since forgotten how to putt & chip and cap is up to 7.7.

Ball striking good. Mental game bad.

tenor.gif

After a three year break, only playing two or three times a year, I had just two goals. Shoot par or better and get my handicap under two. I'm a former +2 and held that handicap for about three years after college. Family, marriage, kids, home ownership and the handicap takes a hit.

I get to hit balls once a week, twice if I'm lucky and play once a week. I putt constantly at home on my Big Moss and hit wedges in the yard while the kids are in the pool. I've got about 70 yards, so I can hit some decent shots.

Last Sunday I shot a bogey free 69 and my handicap currently sits at 1.7.

I also got to play Muirfield Village this year. That wasn't a goal but moreso one of the biggest highlights of my 20 years in the sport.

My goals are really set for next year as I'm looking to get back into playing competitively in four or five tournaments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pretty jealous you got to play Muirfield, I'm holding out hope one day I can as well.

So far I’ve had some epic moments but they involve THP and not my golf game,LOL. I have tied PB on my home course though. 2018 was a year of improvement by leaps and bounds. This year I set goals that included Beating PB at a few courses, play a few I’ve never played, and a low putting round. I did shoot 84 at the end of last season I was hoping to break 80 by the end of next season but I’ve regressed as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I’ve had some epic moments but they involve THP and not my golf game,LOL. I have tied PB on my home course though. 2018 was a year of improvement by leaps and bounds. This year I set goals that included Beating PB at a few courses, play a few I’ve never played, and a low putting round. I did shoot 84 at the end of last season I was hoping to break 80 by the end of next season but I’ve regressed as of late.

The fun and memories from that event will live on though

First time having epidural shots this February following a mild herniation in October and then a real doozy in December!

Because I thought the 2019 season was entirely in doubt prior, I was and am abundantly happy just to be able to play at all.

But as for my play, I haven't been able to recapture the magic of last season, my best ever (also following injury). I've played well to very well at times but I'm too often scrambling and really working for that score. I've had some terrible rounds too.

The culprit has been nearly across the board and through the bag. My accuracy with driver has suffered. Playing with ball position and AoA, I've picked up lots of lost yardage but I've lost my way with a previous 3 year fairways hit percentage of almost 80%. Before my last round (might've found something!), I was closer to 50% over the past several rounds.

My irons have been way off. I can go an entire round without puring one ball. I'll rarely hit it off the planet as I'm usually right there but I'm leaking shots and there's no real pattern to it all, other than toe contact.

My wedges have been OK but just not as precise as I'm accustomed to. So my legitimate birdie chances have been less, so have my actual birdies made.

Putting has been solid, pretty darn predictable. I've made more longer putts than usual.

All this said, I'm still happy with my game. Leaves me with wanting more but, who doesn't? Just glad to be out there, things will fall into place or they won't. Being able to give it a go is my only actual goal.

Up until a couple weeks ago the only goal I had accomplished was to enjoy my time on the course as much as possible. All performance goals haven't been anywhere close to being accomplished. Lately the game seems like it's coming around though so lower scores should be coming.

Wet and only like 30 rounds. Way off last years pace.

First time having epidural shots this February following a mild herniation in October and then a real doozy in December!

Because I thought the 2019 season was entirely in doubt prior, I was and am abundantly happy just to be able to play at all.

But as for my play, I haven't been able to recapture the magic of last season, my best ever (also following injury). I've played well to very well at times but I'm too often scrambling and really working for that score. I've had some terrible rounds too.

The culprit has been nearly across the board and through the bag. My accuracy with driver has suffered. Playing with ball position and AoA, I've picked up lots of lost yardage but I've lost my way with a previous 3 year fairways hit percentage of almost 80%. Before my last round (might've found something!), I was closer to 50% over the past several rounds.

My irons have been way off. I can go an entire round without puring one ball. I'll rarely hit it off the planet as I'm usually right there but I'm leaking shots and there's no real pattern to it all, other than toe contact.

My wedges have been OK but just not as precise as I'm accustomed to. So my legitimate birdie chances have been less, so have my actual birdies made.

Putting has been solid, pretty darn predictable. I've made more longer putts than usual.

All this said, I'm still happy with my game. Leaves me with wanting more but, who doesn't? Just glad to be out there, things will fall into place or they won't. Being able to give it a go is my only actual goal.
You and I have some similarities. A lot of your issues I can relate to. The back problems specifically. Keep at it man. Did the injections help a bit?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wet and only like 30 rounds. Way off last years pace.
Only 30 rounds? That's pretty impressive. Gotta ask, what was last years pace?

Probably my best ball striking season for a very long time, if not ever. Putting has been terrible.

Wish I kept a handicap but I know that when I am consistently shooting around 80 which i am then low scores can arrive when I get on a putting streak

My goal was to break 90 consistently. I've taken a lesson which has helped my iron play and my driver. But my scores are about the same because of other parts of my game. Going to get another lesson when time and money permits.

I have given myself this season (or until I run out of golf balls) to improve before I hang up the cleats. The game is too expensive and time consuming for me to suck this badly.

To answer the question directly, 2019 has been a mixed bag, but trending in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

My goal was to break 90 consistently. I've taken a lesson which has helped my iron play and my driver. But my scores are about the same because of other parts of my game. Going to get another lesson when time and money permits.

I have given myself this season (or until I run out of golf balls) to improve before I hang up the cleats. The game is too expensive and time consuming for me to suck this badly.

To answer the question directly, 2019 has been a mixed bag, but trending in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I feel that setting goals is important. It helps motivate us to improve. But, a guy has to be careful not to put too much pressure on themselves.

Good luck. I hope whatever happens, you're playing again next season.

I am playing well, but also below what I can play. My driver has improved a lot. Last year 210 was a good poke for me. Now a good poke is 240+, and I am averaging almost 210. Last year, I would expect my ball to be in the 170-180 range off the tee, on average, this year, I live in the 200-220 area.

I spent the entire off seson in my sim, working hard, takign lessons and generally improving.

The season kicked off great. The last month or so, however, not so much. Still OK for a recreational golfer, but not at the standards I know I can play.

My current skill set, abilities and knowledge are those of a high 80s golfer. But my inability to perform at those levels, every shot, make me a mid 90s golfer, with some 100+ rounds in there.

That being said, the last two rounds have been good, in the low 90s.

My goal for this year was to shoot in the low 90s consistently and to card at least one sub 90 round at a "real" course. I did shoot an 86 at Bay Creek, so I guess I made that goal, but it doesn't feel like I made that goal. As for low 90s consistently, that is not a goal I have hit, but am progressing towards.

As a side note, my tournament golf has been awful. I joined the Golf Week Amateur Tour this year. I've played 6 events. A 95 would have won all but one of those. I have yet to card a sub 100 round in a tournament, and THAT is frustrating.

Same here. Not playing much golf, and when I do, it's not good. The round I played with you was probably the best of the year (only time I've broken 80).

Same here. Not playing much golf, and when I do, it's not good. The round I played with you was probably the best of the year (only time I've broken 80).

I’ve reset expectations and not having a clue where the ball goes with my swing I’m trying to grind with course management seems to be getting better

My scores and handicap have continued to come down and thanks to Cobra Connect /Arccos I have more insight as to where I need work. I had an unrealistic hope to cut my handicap in half and have dropped it several strokes but that's a stretch. I wanted to improve my driving (distance/dispersion /fairways hit) and have seen some recent success but need it to continue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I didn't play much at all in 2018 due to wedding and house stuff, so my 2019 goal was mainly just to get out and play more. So far so good on that. My cap has gone up about a point and a half this year, but it was mainly based on the strength of my late 2017 scores so that was only expected. Been playing mostly pretty well this last few rounds, so hopefully I can stabilize my putting and keep the scores down.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Your 2019 Season in Review So Far

Hit my (very modest) season goal. Next is solidify some things I've been working on (mostly on the driver side), and figuring out how to keep playing a little during our hard winter. Just takes me too long to get going in spring after a long hiatus.

Back