Your 2019 Season in Review So Far

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
For a lot of us, we are nearing the half way point of our golf seasons. We have all had a few months to knock off the rust and try to re-assemble our games. At least us in the Northern most regions anyhow.

How have things progressed? Were there any personal goals or achievements that we strived to get to this season? Club tournament? Handicap goals? Scoring goals? Fitness goals? If so, what were they? Any plan of action to help achieve them? Lessons, practice, more playing time?

On that note, have you achieved those goals? Still working on them? Or, taken a less stressful approach and just doing your best to enjoy your time out?

In short, how has 2019 gone for you so far?

For 2019 I dedicated myself to getting out to the range, putting green, and short practice course consistently to work on my swing and my game in general. So far i have met that goal, i'm practicing much more than i did in the past several years. Now, actually getting to the course and playing 18 hole rounds of golf - i'm lagging way behind.

Around the 4th of July, my mindset seems to shift to a realization that my season and rounds are limited. If there is anything I set out to do, now is the time to get cracking. This year has been a bit different for me. I didn’t have anything specific that I wanted to achieve other than to build on my good play from the end of last season. Play in my club tournaments and just have a good time.

After a half season of mediocre play, I am setting a goal at this point. I am not concerned about score as much as ball striking. By the end of August, my goal is to be able to consistently strike the ball well.

I had a lesson the other day (second live lesson in my life) that was a real eye opener. We discussed what good contact looks and feels like as well as what I should be spending my time on the range and during practice rounds on. My plan is to get to the range at least twice a week working on speed control and hitting different targets of varying length with one club.

On top of that, I am going to attempt to up my DDP Yoga regimen to accommodate for the additional time spent on the course. Back issues have limited the amount of quality time I can spend practicing.

So far, the only goals I have hit is to enjoy my time on the course and to rekindle the fire in my belly to improve my game.

For 2019 I dedicated myself to getting out to the range, putting green, and short practice course consistently to work on my swing and my game in general. So far i have met that goal, i'm practicing much more than i did in the past several years. Now, actually getting to the course and playing 18 hole rounds of golf - i'm lagging way behind.

What has been the hurdle in that regard? Finding the time to play?

I was pretty loose with goals this year.

I wanted to have more fun on the course. I wanted to improve on my personal best score at an away course. I wanted to improve my all around game.

Things have been ok so far. Nothing earth shattering, but progressing at least:
Ties my personal best score on round #1, but have been worse on all following rounds lol.
Short game is much improved.
Tee game is improved.
Iron play had regressed (but it is still very early), and a lesson has hopefully helped address some issues.
Putting has been ok (which is a huge improvement from last year's abysmal)

Most importantly though, I have found a new playing partner who makes playing the game fun again. We don't talk work, we don't stress each other out on the course, and we have no issues laughing at a bad shot or two.

Was playing better until mid-June, then the temperature started hitting 90, and I couldn't beat the temperature.

Did I see that your personal best was broken this year?

Tied, but the last 3 rounds everything has seemed to come together. I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out now. Ha.

Tied, but the last 3 rounds everything has seemed to come together. I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out now. Ha.

That's a great feeling. And, congratulations on the good play.

Rollercoaster. Started out pretty good but has kinda of lagged a bit and been a round month. Just minor things, but hoping to right the ship this month.

no progress for me, just a lot of regression. at this pace i’m going to double my handicap in about 7 or 8 months. that is, something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Due to a kid and weather, I’ve played four rounds. However, the last 27 holes have started to trend in the right direction to get back to where my cap finished last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB. Making birdies. Being diligent with my practice. Listening to the feedback from my coach and applying it no matter if it doesn't feel or look comfortable right off the bat.

Cutting down to play once a week, sometimes twice a week has been a huge bonus. Best year of Golf I've played.

no progress for me, just a lot of regression. at this pace i’m going to double my handicap in about 7 or 8 months. that is, something...

I'm with you brother. My handicap has been buoyed by good scores from last year and only finally rose this revision. But, my next 3 scores are about to wreak havoc on my ghin should this trend continue. These are my next 3 scores to drop off.

4e5b8fbfc4edfeb62195479a068cb72c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PB. Making birdies. Being diligent with my practice. Listening to the feedback from my coach and applying it no matter if it doesn't feel or look comfortable right off the bat.

Cutting down to play once a week, sometimes twice a week has been a huge bonus. Best year of Golf I've played.

You find that less play is helping you play better? What would you attribute that to? More focus? Body more fresh?

I'm with you brother. My handicap has been buoyed by good scores from last year and only finally rose this revision. But, my next 3 scores are about to wreak havoc on my ghin should this trend continue. These are my next 3 scores to drop off.

it’s fine, i’m ok with it. if i can get my iron swing working, things will improve. regardless, i’m having fun even if the golf isn’t as good as i want it to be.

First 5 months were pretty normal. First 3 weeks in June were great (in regards to my play) dropping my handicap from 5.5 to 3.5. Last 2.5 weeks have been very subpar for me. Probably time to take a little break but I'm sure it won't be near as long of a break as it probably should be.

First 5 months were pretty normal. First 3 weeks in June were great (in regards to my play) dropping my handicap from 5.5 to 3.5. Last 2.5 weeks have been very subpar for me. Probably time to take a little break but I'm sure it won't be near as long of a break as it probably should be.
Dang, good job. Dropping 2 strokes is no easy feat.

Don't worry man you'll get back to that low cap and playing well just in time to face Finley for the belt!

Dang, good job. Dropping 2 strokes is no easy feat.

Thanks. They are quickly coming back though. Dropping low 70's and posting high 70's... Currently trending back up to 4.5.

You find that less play is helping you play better? What would you attribute that to? More focus? Body more fresh?

Both for sure.

I used to play 3 days a week and one week I played 4 times in a week, by the 3rd round on the tee box I was like "the hell with this." On the weekends my entire time would get wiped away with Golf, 2nd day I'm sore or swinging lazy, etc.. Not necessarily a bad thing to Golf all weekend but I prefer to have the 2nd day on the weekend to do anything but golf. Beach? Gym. Catch up with friends, plan a day with my family etc.

Once a week it gives me something to look forward to. It's a hobby. This week I'll tee it up on the 4th and again on Sunday. 2 days in between to do whatever and yeah, stay fresh.

This isn't to say I never golf the entire weekend but it's rare, I just rather not.

For me I am ecstatic, as I’ve played more golf the first half of the year then I’ve played over the last two years.

My ball striking with my irons has been great with me averaging more GIR than in the past. Putting is on par for not rolling the flat stick much, but hasn’t hurt me that bad. Looking back over my scores, I’ve only had a few handful of three putts.

Driving is where the work is needed. I’m not hitting the ball as far as I’ve hit in the past, but I’m now seeing more movement from Right to left, which is not the norm for me.

Overall the game is feeling great! I’ve been writing down some goals I’d like to accomplish in the second half of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both for sure.

I used to play 3 days a week and one week I played 4 times in a week, by the 3rd round on the tee box I was like "the hell with this." On the weekends my entire time would get wiped away with Golf, 2nd day I'm sore or swinging lazy, etc.. Not necessarily a bad thing to Golf all weekend but I prefer to have the 2nd day on the weekend to do anything but golf. Beach? Gym. Catch up with friends, plan a day with my family etc.

Once a week it gives me something to look forward to. It's a hobby. This week I'll tee it up on the 4th and again on Sunday. 2 days in between to do whatever and yeah, stay fresh.

This isn't to say I never golf the entire weekend but it's rare, I just rather not.

I can see that. In the past year or so, my back has stopped me from playing multiple days in a row. I can relate to keeping the body fresh.

Back