RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
After having a few lessons, it has come to my attention that I grip the club like I'm trying to strangle it, which really messes everything up.

What are some good, simple drills or ideas to really drive through the notion of holding on loosely?

My poor brain tries to explode every time I try and make a full swing now with a loosely gripped club. I just picture the club flying out and hitting someone or going in a pond.

Your body wont let you throw the club or grip it too lightly. Once you start your back swing, the hands will grip the club. You would have to make a conscience effort to actually not grip the club. When I get tense, I just let the club rest in my hands until I start the back swing. It almost always work 80% of the time....:alien2:

After having a few lessons, it has come to my attention that I grip the club like I'm trying to strangle it, which really messes everything up.

What are some good, simple drills or ideas to really drive through the notion of holding on loosely?

My poor brain tries to explode every time I try and make a full swing now with a loosely gripped club. I just picture the club flying out and hitting someone or going in a pond.

Know that light grip pressure will only be effective if the placement of hands/fingers on the club is fundamentally sound.

Try this: go to the range during a downtime, and find a spot with nobody around you. Grip the club so that the thumb and index fingers of your right/lower hand are completely loose ... move them around, lift them off the grip. Then swing.

You'll find that you're holding the club with 8 fingers, and it doesn't come come flying out. And if it does, you're at the range during a downtime, and there's an 80% chance of not killing anyone. :)

With my hand size, bigger hands, with big palms and relatively short fingers, I found going to Jumbo grips has helped me tremendously with grip pressure. With a standard grip, to just hold the club, I need to squeeze pretty hard. With Jumbos, I can hold the club with soft handshake pressure and am a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think that larger grips might help me since they'd give me more to contact with compared to what I have now.

I was working on this last night at the range and I noticed that for the first 20 balls or so I was nice and relaxed and things were going fairly well but then the last half of the basket, things started to tense up again so I had to go back down to some baby swings. I don't know what it is, but I start to lose focus or the ability to focus on the back end of practice and things start to go awry.

Back