Do You Have a Max?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of cost of irons. Is there a max you would be willing to spend? Let's assume for argument's sake that the premium sets that are out, coming, etc were offering you noticeable difference in performance. Could you be an early adopter in that instance? And at what cost?

I'll say the only reason I game the apex line is because of the trade in deal Callaway offered. Otherwise my max is probably way lower than others. I have been lucky enough to test and play with a plethora of iron sets over the years, and to be honest, I'm not sure I see the benefit of the extra cost in terms of on course/my score performance.

I think the absolute Max that I would/could spend even if they were demonstrably better than anything else would be 3k.

Now if they’re good enough to get me on tour (ain’t no club that good:)), that would change.

I’ve never paid more than $359.99 for a set as I prefer to buy a couple models back or gently used.

So 3k is almost 10x what I’ve ever spent on a set anyways.

Good question, JB.

I definitely have a max that is probably pretty low haha.

Golf is a game for me, and I don't need to pure every shot to have fun. I think I can hold my own right now, and enjoy where I'm at. With that said, the irons would have to be pretty perfect if I'm going to purchase at a high price.

Also...I love the smoke Apex from Callaway- that was a close one haha. Maybe in two more years I'll have a higher price point.

If I played more than I do now I don’t have a max if a set would make a big difference in my game. If I had to put a number on it, I’d tap out at $2500.

Otherwise I’m looking for trade in deals.

My max is 50% of MSRP. I want a deal, and I will wait until clubs go on sale, or can grab them on EBay for half price.

Dollar figure wise, I honestly can't say that I have a set one..... I just want a deal!

For me I would have to say that performance trumps price. That said, however, I think I would max out at $1500 for a set of irons. If you consider that the remaining clubs (woods, wedges, putter) in the bag total at least that much that would be a good balance for me.

In the right set of circumstances I'd pay full retail for the right fitted set. Historically I've never paid over $1000 for a set.

I'd put my max at $1k. I feel like that gives me plenty of options without having to wait too long if there's something that I felt performed well for me and I liked.

$1000 or less

The warden would hang me otherwise.....

I've never paid more than maybe $450 for a set of irons. I'd pay more for a very good deal but I'm entirely disinterested in paying anything remotely close to retail.

If there were a noticeable difference in performance (purely hypothetical as I haven't sampled anything in well over a decade), I'm sure that I'd reassess. But generally, I'd likely take note and grab them cheaper once the buzz died some.

I would probably put mine at $1,500. I could spend more but the wife would kill me.

My max is right around $1k for a set of irons. So essentially I’m going with companies that show love through discount programs or used. They only exception being Srixon as they generally keep it around that price with the shaft I want. The rest charge an up charge.

My limit is around $1000 and preferably less than that.

My max is $1K for a set of irons, but I usually pay less. I play for fun so shelling out big bucks is a no go for me. Not in the budget...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I would say $1,000 for a new set. I've gone over that in the past and it kind of made me sick with buyers remorse. Prices are getting to the point that I'll either have to wait for great trade in bonuses, buy used or buy it when it's a season or more old.

I doubt anyone has a max as low as mine. I'll just say, ain't no way I'm paying anywhere near retail for something I could build a set of equal or better for me for 1/4 to 1/2 the price.

If I had to guess I'd say the most I've ever spent on a set if irons was ~$420 for my Wishon 550's (5-GW). That's, obviously, only counting one shaft model and I think I used 2 or 3 different models over the years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

$1000 would probably be my max. The most I spent previously was just under that amount for a new set of Srixon Z545 irons when they were still a current release.

I'm gonna say $1000 would be the absolute max I would ever consider spending, but I'd likely never come close to spending that much. Given the performance of the PTx Pro's and their $770 price tag (I know my shaft isn't offered without a custom build so that price isn't quote relevant) I can't see buying a new set from the major OEMs. I've also hit and fallen in love with several Maltby heads from Golf Works that I could have built for less than $500.

I'm gonna say $1000 would be the absolute max I would ever consider spending, but I'd likely never come close to spending that much. Given the performance of the PTx Pro's and their $770 price tag (I know my shaft isn't offered without a custom build so that price isn't quote relevant) I can't see buying a new set from the major OEMs. I've also hit and fallen in love with several Maltby heads from Golf Works that I could have built for less than $500.
GW does have some nice looking offerings. I'm currently pondering a set of Wishon 575MMC.

It's hard to quantify performance gains in irons. Guess it would come down to not losing any distance (at minimum) but gaining way more consistency on misshits. I mean hitting GIRs on misses.

Would put absolute max at $1500. Truth is, I like my generations old irons at the moment. It would take several factors - performance, but also feel and looks - to consider moving on.

I don’t know that I could stretch much past 2K.

I paid $655.55 for my putter, so that would be my max

I can usually spend whatever amount my wife tells me that she has calculated for +25% because she knows I don’t do budgets that well so she tells me lower than the actual number. She really really knows me all too well.

I can usually spend whatever amount my wife tells me that she has calculated for +25% because she knows I don’t do budgets that well so she tells me lower than the actual number. She really really knows me all too well.
Budget, smudget. Just gimme clubs.

Back