Should I Buy my Irons Online?

Hockeymeetsgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey there golf people,

My brother and I are splitting our (mostly my) clubs and we would like to split and get our own equipment. Im starting to play alot again, about 1-2 times a week, so I plan on getting my own. Shooting about 10-15 over on 18 (not difficult courses)

I visited a few stores (Golfsmith and Dick'sSG) to swing Callaway X-Series N-416, or Mizuno JPX EZ's ($500/set, which is about my max). I figured I'd go on Amazon and check out prices where the Callaways are cheaper (by $150) and the Mizunos are priced the same. The seller for the Callaways is Rock Bottom Golf. There are no visible reviews just a review page w/ numbers of items sold and satisfaction levels. Also I noticed small differences in the image of the club on Amazon. Seems sketchy. Do I trust this or is buying online just an awful idea.... Let me know. Thank!

RockBottomGolf is pretty solid with their stuff, so I wouldn't worry about it being counterfeit.

Rock bottom golf is a reputable dealer and have there own website where you could possibly find more options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WElcome to THP

Rock Bottom is a solid retailer, you shouldn't worry.

Also head over to the check in thread and introduce your self.

Rock Bottom is a pretty solid seller, you can visit their website and take a look. I think if you search on THP you will find a thread of peoples feedback.

You might want to get fitted or test them out if you can ahead of time, but if you know what you want I don't think there are any red flags that would stop me from purchasing.

My only option where I'm at is Dicks which really is no option at all.

If I could find a small local shop I would love to support it but these big box stores are awful. Therefore I order 99% of my stuff online and have had 0 trouble.

Hey there golf people,

My brother and I are splitting our (mostly my) clubs and we would like to split and get our own equipment. Im starting to play alot again, about 1-2 times a week, so I plan on getting my own. Shooting about 10-15 over on 18 (not difficult courses)

I visited a few stores (Golfsmith and Dick'sSG) to swing Callaway X-Series N-416, or Mizuno JPX EZ's ($500/set, which is about my max). I figured I'd go on Amazon and check out prices where the Callaways are cheaper (by $150) and the Mizunos are priced the same. The seller for the Callaways is Rock Bottom Golf. There are no visible reviews just a review page w/ numbers of items sold and satisfaction levels. Also I noticed small differences in the image of the club on Amazon. Seems sketchy. Do I trust this or is buying online just an awful idea.... Let me know. Thank!

You can trust Rock Bottom. I bought a set of ap2s from them and they were legit.

I went to Golfsmith and tested both clubs out for a while yesterday. Liked them both alot.

The only thing that worries me on Amazon is the lack of visible reviews and that the Image is slightly off (color and finish) from other images and what I saw in the store.

Other than that is finding a set for $150 less than big box store common.

Welcome to THP. Like other than said, if you do to the right store, you'll be fine. Callaway Pre-Owned and those like them from the OEM is great, too and obviously trustworthy.

I don't have a problem buying online, but I don't think I would buy from Amazon. I have purchased a lot from Amazon, but I'll stop short of anything high end. I have heard that Amazon doesn't really police their sellers and I'm not sure what recourse you have if you receive a perfectly good counterfeit club. I have seen problems with mountain bike forks that were shipped straight from China and did not match up to the correct specs.

Having said that, I have purchased from Rock Bottom Golf on eBay with no issues. I feel a lot more confident buying off eBay from long term sellers with good feedback. Plus, the buyer seems to have more clout in holding a seller's feet to the fire if there are issues. Most of my clubs over the years have come from eBay.

Like anything, buying a new XR16 driver for $150 from a seller with a lot of private sales, or little feedback, is probably not a good idea.

John

I will echo what others have said, if its RockBottomGolf then you have nothing to worry about. Buying online can be fine you just have to be careful who and where you buy from.

I went to Golfsmith and tested both clubs out for a while yesterday. Liked them both alot.

The only thing that worries me on Amazon is the lack of visible reviews and that the Image is slightly off (color and finish) from other images and what I saw in the store.

Other than that is finding a set for $150 less than big box store common.

Not uncommon at all and even more deals to be had on eBay where many online golf stores like 3balls and globalgolf have club listings starting lower than what's on their own site.

If you prefer not to use Ebay there is 3 Balls golf , Dallas Golf , Global golf who runs Taylormade preowned .com , Carls golfland , Fairway golf .com Budget golf.com ..... and there are legit brick and mortor stores that sell on E bay and more online e bay stores also .... either way many choice you will have ..

If you're going Callaway, Callaway Pre-Owned is outstanding. If you buy "Like New" condition clubs, they will, indeed, be hard to tell from new, and the price is pretty darn good.

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Give DiscountDansGolf.com a try.
Be sure to ask for a quote

You will be very happy!

RBG golf is certainly a reputable golf retailer that I have ordered from without issue on a few occasions.

I have ordered and returned things from RBG with zero issues, so I've been a pretty happy customer.
That being said, make sure you won't get a better deal over at the callaway preowned site.

If you prefer not to use Ebay there is 3 Balls golf , Dallas Golf , Global golf who runs Taylormade preowned .com , Carls golfland , Fairway golf .com Budget golf.com ..... and there are legit brick and mortor stores that sell on E bay and more online e bay stores also .... either way many choice you will have ..
A lot of those actually list on eBay too. I know the first three you mentioned do.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

+1 for Callaway Preowned

There are no private clubs where you can get fitted? I got fitted twice at two separate clubs to make sure they agreed on their recommedations.. These were for Pings but once i had the color code, flex i could purchase them anywhere.. I bought them through a pro shop at a private club because Pings prices are the same everywhere.. That way the fitting was free for me.

Callaway preowned, they offer sales and discounts all the time.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Greatgolfdeals.com is great, ordered from them several times!

I've never had a problem doing it.

You will be fine buying online if you pick the right people. RBG has always been good to me.
Ive had really good experiences with buying online from stores. Ebay has been really good to me and I am not really hesitant at all to continue to do that. That being said, I have bought a lot from 3balls and the last 2 things I bought seemed like they were in much worse shape then they led on in the listing (not showing the face on their clubs is something that I do not like). Before those last 2 transactions everything else has been really good.

I would have no problem buying online, Be sure to check cpo as well, great deals to be head directly from callaway.

RBG is good, Global golf is pretty good too.

Lots of deals to be found.

Back