Getting Your Loft and Lie Angle Checked

Good question and I don’t know. There is some some skill and risk involved with adjusting. I have honestly no idea that this costs.

Not so much skill as plain ol' common sense. You just gotta be careful starting out and realize that you have to go slow and steady and not put everything into it. I had a bending machine for a while and bent many clubs. I've been from cast to forged, stainless to carbon steel, and others. Slow and steady is the way to go. Skill will come over time, but a beginner can be very successful with a quality machine if they just use a heaping of common sense.

As for the cost, $5/club is not steep at all. I'd call $10/club steep. I paid $4/club and I'd consider that reasonable. I'd call $3/club a steal.

I had the Srixon Z765 set that I bought from @Snickerdog checked and adjusted as well as checking my Wishons (5-PW) and adjusting 3 of them. We ran through all 6 of the Srixons, got the specs, then set them back to Srixon specs. Ran through my Wishons, got the specs, and adjusted the 3 that'd moved a bit since last bend. Finally, we checked my 3 new Vokey SM6 wedges. Didn't alter any of them. The lofts were 52, 56, and 60.5. The lies were a bit flat, but I left them to try and see how badly they need bent. So, in all, we spec checked 15 clubs and bent 9. I have the guy $40 instead of $36. Figured it was money well spent.

I'd love to get a bending machine, but I can't justify $1200+ for something that I'd have to use 30 times like yesterday to break even on. I'll keep using this same clubmaker for all my bending needs.

Glad people enjoyed this one. THP Event veteran Brad has a good way of explaining things and we have more coming with him soon.

In the Lab today building some clubs and checking specs. This iron was 3.5 degrees off in loft and 3 degrees flat.

supposed to be standard

7423E0F1-5E18-411F-A817-217BB4A700B7.jpeg

Had the same experience when getting my irons back from reshafting. My supposed 48 degree GW measured at a hair over 50 degrees and my 52 degree MD5 measured at 51 degree. One was flatter than it was supposed to be and the others was upright. Had the entire set including 3 new MD5's measured and only 2 of them were at the right lie angle and 5 of them were off on lofts. Its a must do in my opinion to get them checked.

That hosel looks like a TaylorMade iron.

This is also not a cheap shot either at the discrepancy of the loft/lie, but luckily it'll be corrected.

Thought it was timely to bump this one.
I showed @MWard how to bend properly and check loft and lie yesterday.

Thought it was timely to bump this one.
I showed @MWard how to bend properly and check loft and lie yesterday.

Bend properly, and then “Hey how flat can we make two clubs” because I’m curious how a 52 degree wedge performs at proper loft and a little toe down.

Bend properly, and then “Hey how flat can we make two clubs” because I’m curious how a 52 degree wedge performs at proper loft and a little toe down.

“a little” toe down...

i want to get my 48* wedge from my grandaddy set checked. i hit it hard left several times in california. hit it once in my round this week and it went dead left again. not seeing that with any other club in the bag, so wondering if it’s a simple lie adjustment.

“a little” toe down...

i want to get my 48* wedge from my grandaddy set checked. i hit it hard left several times in california. hit it once in my round this week and it went dead left again. not seeing that with any other club in the bag, so wondering if it’s a simple lie adjustment.

Next time we play we can do that.

“a little” toe down...

I'm looking forward to hitting it next range day. I can also safely say, that I confirmed the reason I have never gamed a 3i, and never will. Same with a super low lofted hybrid. No confidence = no effin chance it gets airborne.

Bought my own Mitchell Loft and Lie machine over a year ago and it's one of the best golf purchases I've ever made. I use it all the time. I've rarely ever had a club purchased that is actually in spec. One really bad example is one that happened just a couple of weeks ago. I bought a new set of Callaway X Forged irons and the lie angle was off on most clubs but one of them was actually 3.5 degrees more upright that it should have been. That's insane.

I would never ever trust any club I purchased to actually be the spec it's either supposed to be from stock or from a custom order. I've had numerous custom orders that have been incorrect too.

It's nuts out there. Just super glad I invested in my game and can now adjust and check all of my clubs at any time I want to. I think you do yourself a disservice if you don't get your equipment checked regularly because they actually do move around on you.

I just had mine checked this week and it was free to have them checked, $5 per club for any adjustments made. I thought that was a bit steep, I was hoping it would be around $3/club.

That's generally what it is around me. $3-5, depending on who does it. Cheaper if it's a full set.

Back