Getting Your Loft and Lie Angle Checked

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Popular topic in fitting is how often do you get your lofts and lies checked? Should you need to do it? We asked Club Champion about the topic and discussed the Mitchell Machines they use in this segment.

Great video JB. I always drop mine off at a local big box store and wondering how often theirs is calibrated. Kinda sounds like I could be throwing my money away if not done correctly.

Great video. Very interesting how often the machines are and need to be calibrated.

Another great short informative video!!! Really like these.

Great video! I need to get my loft and lie checked.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Good content. Thanks

I can't wait to add a loft and lie machine to my workbench.

After receiving my CF19's and being informed that like 5 of my irons were off. I say yes, you should do it. How often? I'm sure the video will answer that question.

Great video. Very interesting how often the machines are and need to be calibrated.
That's gotta be due to the digital readout. Not sure you'd calibrate one like it had with the specs manufactured onto it.

I think it's a stretch to think 0/10 players on Tour would have matching lofts on their 6i. I get that he's going to extremes. I bet only a handful play a 32° or a 25°. I'd bet most are in the 27°-30° range.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice video! I would assume that not all fitters are taking the time to calibrate the machine every couple clubs.... wonder how ‘off’ my irons are from manufacturer specs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great information and now I want to get my set checked

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, and I would bet most play it at no less than 30. From what I have seen, most of them tend to play weaker iron lofts. They have the speed and power we don't so have no need for the jacked lofts.

Robin-Mathews Williams may not be everyones cup of tea but I enjoy his videos and podcast. Funny this topic came up as he recently went to get clubs built and they checked his old set:

Checked all mine not too long ago. Lie was good as that was set by my club repair guy but had never checked the lofts. Glad we did though, every iron in the bag was 1-2* off but have now been corrected.

What do you all think it should cost to get the lofts checked on a set of irons, and then say 4 or 5 of them adjusted?

I had my irons built by Club Champion this spring and I will be going back to get them checked before next season. They adjusted my backup putters to the same lie/loft as my main putter for no charge while I was there last time.

What do you all think it should cost to get the lofts checked on a set of irons, and then say 4 or 5 of them adjusted?

Good question and I don’t know. There is some some skill and risk involved with adjusting. I have honestly no idea that this costs.

What I see in my area is roughly $10/stick for adjustments. If you just want them checked a lot of places will do a couple for free.

WRT having the machines calibrated, I tend to agree with OGPF on the digital components tending to need frequent checking. That plus CC promises accuracy as part of their process. For guys like us, the simplest way to avoid variations would be to use only one shop for club work.

Doing a little work this morning

224c95fca64efe4b019c0c6fe296dd45.jpg

I just had mine checked this week and it was free to have them checked, $5 per club for any adjustments made. I thought that was a bit steep, I was hoping it would be around $3/club.

I just had mine checked this week and it was free to have them checked, $5 per club for any adjustments made. I thought that was a bit steep, I was hoping it would be around $3/club.
Thanks Kev. Seems a little steep.

Ouch. That stings.

I don't think that's steep at all. If they were ok, you just got them all checked for free. For your rate, if you had 2 clubs out of whack you just had your whole set for the way you want them loft and lie-wise for ten bucks.

You are paying a person for a service, their skill aquired to provide that service and any equipment purchases, premises costs etc. I would have expected a flat rate for checking plus per club adjustments or a flat fee for both. I'd also be getting swingweight and/or MOI matching done if I really wanted them done right.

I recommend at a minimum get wedges checked on purchase since gapping and bounce is so critical in planning a wedge set for a lot of golfers. I've had a couple of Vokey lob wedges come in a degree or more weak. A full set of women's club we got for my wife a few years ago needed a lot of swingweight adjustments through the set.

Last edited:
Back