Tragedy and Opportunity (and new clubs)

TwoStepsUp

Reaction score
Handicap
I have recently been in a quiet period for golf purchases. Back in January I added a laser rangefinder and new driver, but things seemed to be working pretty well for me. There was potential for improvement between 3 wood and 4 iron where I was considering giving hybrids another try, but every time I tried hitting the used models at Golf Galaxy I had about a 50% hook rate. So I was planning on just sticking with my guns and working on my shooting. Until Monday morning.

I had just gotten back Sunday night from an overnight trip up to the farm, and when I was making trips back and forth to the garage, I had taken my clubs out to the car. My wife had been rear-ended on Monday, so I was driving an unfamiliar rental car (foreshadowing). Did you know that General Motors cars have the buttons on the key fob in the opposite position from every other kind of car I know (foreshadowing) ?

Come Monday morning, I headed out to the gym at 4:45, like always. When I got in the car, I noticed that the glovebox was open. My immediate thought was that someone had come down the street rifling through open cars again, which is not uncommon in our neighborhood. My thought was, "Oh, I must have screwed up locking the car, but that's OK, since it's a rental and there is nothing in here." It wasn't until I got out at the gym that it hit me.

All gone in a second. 14 clubs (plus the M5 and M6 7 irons that I was demoing, thanks to THP), rangefinder, and the new bag my wife had just gotten me a month earlier.

Since then I have been working through the stages. We have determined that there will be no help from insurance, and I can't imagine that anything will come from the police report. My immediate response was to rush into something, just to fulfill my Golftec practice session craving. But as the days passed, I realized that it would be better to take a little time and make sure I didn't rush into something that I would be wanting to replace in a year or two. I have my old driver and a couple of old putters, so a new set of irons would get me back on the course.

Just curious if anyone else has faced this situation, and what you learned. Any hard-earned wisdom on how to swallow a loss and enjoy the process?

I

Damn that's terrible so sorry to hear. Keep a look out on FB market, Craigslist, and golf club traders forum on FB for your clubs, even go to the pawn shops to let them know your clubs were stolen.

Never had to start from scratch, and just so frustrating that insurance can't help.. absolutely sure tho? Wouldn't comprehensive coverage cover that? Better to pay a $500 deductible or whatever than cost for a new set piece by piece.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. Won't your rental or regular car insurance cover any of that? Hopefully you can get lucky.

Damn that's terrible so sorry to hear. Keep a look out on FB market, Craigslist, and golf club traders forum on FB for your clubs, even go to the pawn shops to let them know your clubs were stolen.

Never had to start from scratch, and just so frustrating that insurance can't help.. absolutely sure tho? Wouldn't comprehensive coverage cover that? Better to pay a $500 deductible or whatever than cost for a new set piece by piece.

Used was definitely my first direction, but there is an issue. I was fitted for the irons I lost (Ping G) and the measurements came back 1" long and 3 degrees upright. That's not likely to show up on the used market, and I was told that 3 degrees is too much to bend a set of standard clubs. I have a fitting today where I will confirm those measurements.

Sorry to hear that. Won't your rental or regular car insurance cover any of that? Hopefully you can get lucky.

Hmm, I didn't think about the rental policy. Seriously doubt it, though. Homeowners insurance will cover it, but our deductible is 1% of the home value, which is well beyond the total loss, even at list prices. I will seriously consider changing the policy to pay extra for the $500 deductible on that item.

My wife had the good idea of credit card coverage on recent purchases, but my card has a 90 day window and hers a specific disclaimer about theft from vehicles.

Wouldn't comprehensive coverage cover that? Better to pay a $500 deductible or whatever than cost for a new set piece by piece.

No, comprehensive coverage covers the vehicle if stolen not the items in the vehicle.

Homeowners would be the coverage minus deductible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used was definitely my first direction, but there is an issue. I was fitted for the irons I lost (Ping G) and the measurements came back 1" long and 3 degrees upright. That's not likely to show up on the used market, and I was told that 3 degrees is too much to bend a set of standard clubs. I have a fitting today where I will confirm those measurements.
Haha no I mean if the thief lists your clubs for sale
No, comprehensive coverage covers the vehicle if stolen not the items in the vehicle.

Homeowners would be the coverage minus deductible

Aaaah thanks for clarifying

Not sure if this helps, but I have 4i and 5i G30s that I NEVER use. You can have them if you want.

Not sure if this helps, but I have 4i and 5i G30s that I NEVER use. You can have them if you want.

Thanks, but I don't think I will be able to hold out much longer. This was supposed to be my big golf weekend (4 day) after not getting to play much lately. Oh well.

Really sorry to hear that dude, hope they turn up- some people can be real

Haha no I mean if the thief lists your clubs for saleAaaah thanks for clarifying

Hmm, thanks for the idea. Nothing on Craigslist, but I do see a listing on Ebay that is remarkably close and in my city. Trouble is, the seller is Callaway preowned, and I can't figure out when the item was listed.

Hmm, thanks for the idea. Nothing on Craigslist, but I do see a listing on Ebay that is remarkably close and in my city. Trouble is, the seller is Callaway preowned, and I can't figure out when the item was listed.
If seller is CPO no way then.. what's the clubs and your zip code, I'll look on the club sale pages

Maybe someone walked them in to Callaway and traded them in for new clubs?

If seller is CPO no way then.. what's the clubs and your zip code, I'll look on the club sale pages

Thanks, but I have spent the last day or so searching. I did get in touch with CPO and the set that was listed had been traded in 6 months ago. Turns out the warehouse for CPO is about 5 miles from here, which is why those clubs (and so many others) showed up when I sorted by location.

Your thread title threw me for a loop, for a minute there I thought someone had passed away and you inherited their clubs.

Hope they turn up!

the measurements came back 1" long and 3 degrees upright.

At least you can console yourself by imagining the thief hitting duff after duff with clubs that don't fit him? But seriously, this sucks. Get some nice blades; for once, nobody will fault you for it.

Back