Save every single one of those score cards, and if he ever brags to anyone about beating you, clear your throat and present the scorecards with the actual scores on them and ask him to think again.

I don't think keeping his score is necessary. The next time it happens just make a semi-funny comment back about any of the rules violations, penalties, etc., to make your point.

e9158cd6213cb9f9b8839470aa1b6c46.gif

Man, who cares what he does and what he says. There’s soo much more to worry about than a non competitive playing partner saying he beat you and bragging about it. If that’s what he needs to feel good about himself, let him have it. You’ll know that you are the better player and beat him repeatedly.

If someone asks you about it, ask them if they have ever played with him. If they tell you no, tell them to go play a round with him then we can discussion. But seriously, his boastfulness is such a minute point in your entire life.
We are going to do just fine as partners.

I don't think keeping his score is necessary. The next time it happens just make a semi-funny comment back about any of the rules violations, penalties, etc., to make your point.

I have done that in the past. He acts like I'm trying to hurt him.

So he knows and is just being a richard about it.

I have done that in the past. He acts like I'm trying to hurt him.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet or maybe I missed it. But I see this as an opportunity.

He thinks he's better, may I suggest a MONEY GAME. He may give you some bumps too. He'll learn the rules real quick.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet or maybe I missed it. But I see this as an opportunity.

He thinks he's better, may I suggest a MONEY GAME. He may give you some bumps too. He'll learn the rules real quick.

Oh no he won't. I guarantee you he will front it out every single time. Guys like that have a permanent filter installed in their brains. It simply will not process some shots as ever having occurred.

I play with a guy who is similar and he said something very similar once and I quickly, but politely set him straight. I challenged him to a round and said we would count every shot and penalty and suggested we play for 5 dollars a hole. He quickly decided he didn't want to do that and I explained that I was fine with the way he plays but not okay with him claiming to be a better golfer when he is not counting all his strokes. He now will say "that was a birdie.. Not a legitimate one though". Now it's a friendly joke about legitimate and ilegitimate scores. The one big difference is that he's a quick player even when taking multiple balls. In your case the slow play alone would kill me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What do you think?

I think your buddy is the as$hole. I'd actually consider telling him that he really can't break 100 when he starts chirping about shooting in the 80s. If he doesn't like it then you might need to find a new buddy to play golf with.

and me, to you as well!
Remember the 6th hole at Simi and saw you chunked twice on your chip shot and I was like, "meh... who cares. I didn't see anything."

all seriousness, integrity is key in this game but I enjoy playing with friends. I could really careless about all this unless there's betting involved.

To be fair, I chunked it so bad I didn't even hit the ball. The club sort of just stuck in the ground.

I play with a guy who is similar and he said something very similar once and I quickly, but politely set him straight. I challenged him to a round and said we would count every shot and penalty and suggested we play for 5 dollars a hole. He quickly decided he didn't want to do that and I explained that I was fine with the way he plays but not okay with him claiming to be a better golfer when he is not counting all his strokes. He now will say "that was a birdie.. Not a legitimate one though". Now it's a friendly joke about legitimate and ilegitimate scores. The one big difference is that he's a quick player even when taking multiple balls. In your case the slow play alone would kill me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like this.

I'm going to start being like "did you see that albatross! I can't believe I just did that!" "Don't count all the other strokes though"

To be fair, I chunked it so bad I didn't even hit the ball. The club sort of just stuck in the ground.

Oh dude... I don't care. You don't have to defend yourself. We've all chunked so bad that ball doesn't move. Intent swing or not. I'm not going to win any tournaments in this lifetime... it really doesn't matter if I shoot an 70 or a 100.

Oh dude... I don't care. You don't have to defend yourself. We've all chunked so bad that ball doesn't move. Intent swing or not. I'm not going to win any tournaments in this lifetime... it really doesn't matter if I shoot an 70 or a 100.
Right. And I'm not.

Posted by my thumbs.

Just text him that you have started selling Amway and you would like to sit down with him and talk.

I agree with some of the other posts. I'd keep the score, but not sure I'd say anything unless he claimed to beat me again, then I'd drop the hammer.
Definitely! It doesn't stop me from having fun. I think I just need to stop paying attention. It's tough to do. When we played on Monday he made a "birdie" (it was actually an 8,) and he let out a huge "WOOOO!" and danced around the green. It's borderline comical. Though it would be a lot easier to laugh if he didn't act as if it were a serious score.
Now that (8 to birdie) is funny. How'd that play out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I agree with most of what has been said. If he wants to think he shoots 80, great! Challenge him to a small bet next time and tell him he has to give you 3 strokes, since he shot 80 and you 'only' shot 83.

Honestly, if it were me, and he kept telling anyone who would listen that he beat me, I'd probably say something like, "well if I kept score the way you do, I actually shot a 60."

I agree with some of the other posts. I'd keep the score, but not sure I'd say anything unless he claimed to beat me again, then I'd drop the hammer.Now that (8 to birdie) is funny. How'd that play out?

3 balls off the tee. 3rd tee shot landed in some trees, but very playable. Tosses it out to the fairway, and sticks the next shot to 8 feet. Drains the putt. So by my math he was hitting his 7th for his "2nd" shot

For me, when I'm that irritated by someone, I just don't care to play with them anymore.

I've got limited leisure time. I don't mind playing alone and find it preferable to being around people that annoy me.

If the friendship exists outside golf-or it's a relative-I'd say just do your best to overlook it.

Otherwise, my call list for golf would be one name shorter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 balls off the tee. 3rd tee shot landed in some trees, but very playable. Tosses it out to the fairway, and sticks the next shot to 8 feet. Drains the putt. So by my math he was hitting his 7th for his "2nd" shot
Nice. How many strokes are you penalized for moving your ball? What about failing to move it back before playing it? Just so much going on there.

My BiL is so similar to the OP it’s funny. We used to play once in a while and never really competed, just had fun. Then he started talking about being good enough to play in amateur tournaments and how he plays all of these great courses with clients at work. When we played, his score on every hole was either the same as or better than mine but he would take free relief or mulligans constantly and not count them. It never really bothered me Until we went on a buddy trip a few years ago and we decided to play skins. He was constantly shaving strokes and by the third hole, everyone in the group had enough. We decided to play Callaway scoring and to bet on the round instead. At the end I didn’t win but neither did he and he complained that he should have because he shot a better raw score than everybody else. Then we all started to bombard him with, “what about the mulligan you took every other hole” and “what about the two shots you put in the water without taking your penalty strokes”. He doesn't play with me much any more but he also doesn’t brag about how good he is either.

Nice. How many strokes are you penalized for moving your ball? What about failing to move it back before playing it? Just so much going on there.

I'm pretty sure they're both 2 strokes (Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Rule 9.4: General Penalty under Rule 6.3b or 14; Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong PlaceWrong Place: Any place on the course other than where the player is required or allowed to play his or her ball under the Rules. in Breach of Rule 14.7a: General PenaltyGeneral Penalty: Loss of hole in match play or two penalty strokes in stroke play..)

My understanding is that if you play the wrong ball or move your ball to anywhere that is not allowed (i.e. not considered a relief point in certain circumstances) you are assessed two strokes, or you lose the hole in match play

What do you think?

If playing with your "friend" is no fun, I think you should find other people with whom to play golf.

I just recalled another instance where I just laughed it off. We were on the 14th hole this past monday. It's a 593 yard right dogleg par 5 with an elevated tee box. The best tee shot you can take is to go straight over the trees on the right. Big risk/reward, so we all go for it. He hit two that veered well right and I assumed were lost.

I stepped up to the tee and proceeded to hit a wallop of a slice, which I was certain I'd never find in rattlesnake country. So I hit a provisional into the short side of the fairway. I looked for my first ball but never found it. Of course my buddy found his first one! It had a good lie and no real tree trouble either. How lucky.

He gets it to about 75 yards shy of the green, near I was looking in the deep rough to find the location of my approach - when he drove up he asked if I saw his, and I hadn't. I asked what he was hitting, and he replied "Taylormade 5." I couldn't help but let out a laugh. THAT WAS MY FIRST BALL! He had been playing a new box of AVXs all day. He made a big stink about buying them in the pro shop right before the round!

He wants to write down an 80 then let him write down an 80.

But if he boasts about beating you that's when you drop the hammer on him and tell him what he does during a round of golf.

And start it with “Alright asshole, let’s put some money on it.”

Back