Pretty ballsy though to claim an 80 when it was legit a 110.

I'm sure I keyed in an 84 when it was actually an 85 a few times in my life. Or have people change their triple to a double because of a brutal lip-out on a certain hole, same thing, no problem.

But to shave off 30 strokes is hilarious.

He wants to write down an 80 then let him write down an 80.

But if he boasts about beating you that's when you drop the hammer on him and tell him what he does during a round of golf.

This is where I fall. The first time he boasts about it I'd be nice and make passive aggressive comments about him not counting all of the strokes. If he did it again I'd probably light him up a bit.

With playing with the player and continuing to keep it to yourself. Or you could tell him you are a cheater and see how the player responds.

Oh, I'm not gonna tell him. I just feel kind of weird that I'm so inclined to keep his score for myself.

You only THINK he began his takeaway when you were in the restroom. In reality, that was his 3rd ball off the tee :dazed:

Honestly, I wouldn't keep his score but if he ever bragged about beating me again I'd make sure he was aware of every mulli, OB shot, and footwedge during the next round.

No. He proceeded to hit two once I returned.

No. He proceeded to hit two once I returned.
Wow, that's a hell of a playing partner you have on your hands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We had a guy like that in our group. He doesn't play with us any more.
If you like the guy personally and the only problem is his cheating, stop keeping score when you play with him. Otherwise pull him aside and lay down the facts. Either he shapes up or looks for a new partner. Put it on him.

Let it go, keep it friendly, have fun, you're not betting money, you're not getting a trophy, if he wants to feel better about his lousy play that's his thing.

And if he boasts about beating you just laugh it off and agree, bragging rights don't even matter in this case, it's just the two of you and you know the truth, I bet he does too.

That's exactly what I did. To be honest, though, I'm not sure he knows. I know he doesn't care.

We're still playing tomorrow right? I'll let you know what I think after the round... :angel:

My suggestion is to stop playing with this person on the regular... there is clearly an annoyance that has carried thru and you should be having fun... not worrying about how many times this guy uses a foot wedge from the rough... or thinking about his shot routine

Definitely! It doesn't stop me from having fun. I think I just need to stop paying attention. It's tough to do. When we played on Monday he made a "birdie" (it was actually an 8,) and he let out a huge "WOOOO!" and danced around the green. It's borderline comical. Though it would be a lot easier to laugh if he didn't act as if it were a serious score.

He wants to write down an 80 then let him write down an 80.

But if he boasts about beating you that's when you drop the hammer on him and tell him what he does during a round of golf.

This is what I’d do too. Probably laugh at him (which should be fine, you’re buddies) and lay it all out there.

We had a guy like that in our group. He doesn't play with us any more.
If you like the guy personally and the only problem is his cheating, stop keeping score when you play with him. Otherwise pull him aside and lay down the facts. Either he shapes up or looks for a new partner. Put it on him.

See, I don't look at it as cheating. I'm never playing against him. I've never once offered to compete. One thing I know for sure is I will never play in any sort of tournament with him. He's only cheating himself.

This is what I’d do too. Probably laugh at him (which should be fine, you’re buddies) and lay it all out there.

He's somewhat sensitive, which only adds to the issue. He would not react well if I called him out, and it's a confrontation I'd rather avoid. I am certain that if I ever did, it would be our last outing together.

Other than the overall yes I fully expect to get with a question like this, I'd like to bring up something more specific.

Am I a jerk for keeping my friends *actual* score? A few weeks back, a buddy that I play with regularly claimed to have beaten me with an 80. I shot 83. A legitimate 83. I played exceptionally well. His 80 was far from legitimate.

He's a player who won't even play his ball from the rough. If there is anything that might challenge his shot, he throws the ball into the middle of the fairway. I would guess that more than 60% of the time he plays two or 3 balls off the tee, and often takes multiple mulligans on a single hole. This has never bothered me. I'm playing my game and he is playing his. We're not betting, and we're not competing. But the second he gloated about beating me, I got angry inside.

Since then, on my score card, I have been counting every one of his strokes and penalty strokes (we've played twice since then.) I have not told him I've done this, and its very unlikely I ever will. It's just weird that all of the sudden I am feeling fiercely competitive in regards to playing with him. Not that it matters but his claims of 80s golf in reality have been 109 and 111.

I know a lot of folks will chime in and say to not pay attention, but here's the rub. I am a very fast player. I step up and hit. He, on the other hand, has a mind-numbingly long pre-shot routine from tee to green (e.g. in our last round I walked past him as he placed his ball on a tee, into a restroom, did my business, washed my hands, and back to my bag before he had begun his takeaway.) So that in itself sort of forces me to watch him, as I've got nothing else to do.

What do you think?

I think I would avoid playing with him if those behaviors annoy you. The slow play things would drive me nuts.

I also think you are causing yourself 10x as much agita as you'll ever cause him him with your scorekeeping thing. There's an old saying, "Never try to teach a hog to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the hog". Why bother?

Pete, don't be mad at me broseph. Don't drop me as your playing partner. I DID shoot an 80 (if you don't count my chunks/swing and a miss) :bye:

The first time he said he shot an 80 to my 83, I would say, “but mine was a real score.” If he cannot take a hint to either keep a real score or shut his mouth, then I don’t want to play with someone like that. I definitely would not aggravate myself by keeping his score.

I always just count those as practice swings with you.

and me, to you as well!
Remember the 6th hole at Simi and saw you chunked twice on your chip shot and I was like, "meh... who cares. I didn't see anything."

all seriousness, integrity is key in this game but I enjoy playing with friends. I could really careless about all this unless there's betting involved.

He's somewhat sensitive, which only adds to the issue. He would not react well if I called him out, and it's a confrontation I'd rather avoid. I am certain that if I ever did, it would be our last outing together.

Ah. I’d probably not want to golf with someone like that, even if we were friends. I wouldn’t be wanting to golf with them. That’s me though.

Speaking of "keeping someone else's score for them"...

The first time I ever set foot on a golf course I asked a friend to take me out and show me how it was done. He had been a decent player (maybe 4-5 hcp?) back in the day but hadn't touched a club in five years. So one afternoon we went after work and played a few holes, he let me try hitting a few shots, that sort of thing.

Then the next week we went back out and he played "for real". I tagged along and again, he'd hand me an iron and let me take a swipe at the ball. Plus I had a putter with me and would putt on each green.

At the end of the nine holes, he picked up the scorecard and started writing down numbers. Then he scratched some out, did some more cipherin', stared at the card for a while and said, "I get 46 strokes but that can't be right". Well I was no golfer but I knew he had hit the ball at *least* 50 times. He shoved the card in his pocket and said, "It was probably a 44 or 45, I played pretty bad even though it's an easy course".

At that point I wondered if all golfers were that lousy at keeping score ;-) but the next day at work, he pulls out the scorecard and shows me. When he got home he went back and recalled every stroke. It was 51. He was like, "I haven't shot 51 for nine holes since I was in middle school. I knew I was rusty but OMG!".

So he really got a fire lit under him after that. Went out and bought new clubs, started going to the driving range for 2 hours every day after work and by the end of the summer was playing twice a week and had a 14 handicap. A year later it was a 6. But that first nine holes was a real eye-opener.

So not to be rude but is he challenged in some way? How can his count be so far off repeatedly? I am old and miss a stoke here and there but to swing / putt 8 times takes effort...and then not have any idea..or..he is just messing with you.

Definitely! It doesn't stop me from having fun. I think I just need to stop paying attention. It's tough to do. When we played on Monday he made a "birdie" (it was actually an 8,) and he let out a huge "WOOOO!" and danced around the green. It's borderline comical. Though it would be a lot easier to laugh if he didn't act as if it were a serious score.

I'd probably laugh it off and let him have his glory. If he starts boasting to his friends around you how he beats you on the golf course all the time, maybe let a few joking remarks out to see how he reacts. It sounds like he can dish it but can't take it.

Maybe a friendly wager, or play a round a golf by his rules and see if he notices you throwing a ball from the 2nd cut back into the fairway :D.

So not to be rude but is he challenged in some way? How can his count be so far off repeatedly? I am old and miss a stoke here and there but to swing / putt 8 times takes effort...and then not have any idea..or..he is just messing with you.

I know a guy who was taught to play golf by a friend of his. This friend and the group he played with rolled the ball everywhere, picked up everything inside 3-4 feet instead of putting out, played OB or lost tee shots by just adding one stroke and dropping in the middle of the fairway around the 100-yard marker and basically made a mockery of the entire game. His friend would usually "shoot in the low 80's" when in fact he probably couldn't have broken 100 more than once in a blue moon if actually playing golf.

Fortunately, the guy I know pretty soon happened to start playing with some actual golfers so he never got in the habit of keeping score that way. But he's like, "If I'd have kept playing with those knuckleheads I'd probably be 'scratch' by now! Who knew shooting 90 could be so much work?".

I had to play one summer at a very low-end public course across town. Long story but I had to be over in that area constantly because of an illness in the family and playing near my parent's house was my only way to get time for golf. I joined up with a group that played every Sunday morning and they were just like my buddy's friend. They could routinely lose half a dozen balls in a round and post an 82 or 83 by the simple expedient of dropping in the fairway any time a ball was lost, OB, unplayable, in a hazard, whatever. It would have been sort of comical if they hadn't expected me to throw money in the pot every week to play in the game.

e9158cd6213cb9f9b8839470aa1b6c46.gif

Man, who cares what he does and what he says. There’s soo much more to worry about than a non competitive playing partner saying he beat you and bragging about it. If that’s what he needs to feel good about himself, let him have it. You’ll know that you are the better player and beat him repeatedly.

If someone asks you about it, ask them if they have ever played with him. If they tell you no, tell them to go play a round with him then we can discussion. But seriously, his boastfulness is such a minute point in your entire life.

He's not messing. We have another guy (who has known him 30 years) who plays with us every third round or so. We sort of just laugh it off.

It's really a matter of he shouldn't be keeping score. When you don't account for 1/4 of your strokes (penalty or not,) what's the point?

e9158cd6213cb9f9b8839470aa1b6c46.gif

Man, who cares what he does and what he says. There’s soo much more to worry about than a non competitive playing partner saying he beat you and bragging about it. If that’s what he needs to feel good about himself, let him have it. You’ll know that you are the better player and beat him repeatedly.

If someone asks you about it, ask them if they have ever played with him. If they tell you no, tell them to go play a round with him then we can discussion. But seriously, his boastfulness is such a minute point in your entire life.

I don't really care, and I'm certainly not complaining. I will continue to play with him, as we have a good time when we're out.

Certainly no big deal, we local THPer's play quite a bit together and we take some liberties and don't try to get hurt (see roots, gators,etc.) but do respect the game and try to play it down and correctly.

If he was a friend, being a jerk by nature I would probably tell him he is cheating and if he says "so what" then it would never be mentioned again, if he cares then show him the light and proper way of golf life. :angel:

He's not messing. We have another guy (who has known him 30 years) who plays with us every third round or so. We sort of just laugh it off.

It's really a matter of he shouldn't be keeping score. When you don't account for 1/4 of your strokes (penalty or not,) what's the point?

Back