Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Other than the overall yes I fully expect to get with a question like this, I'd like to bring up something more specific.

Am I a jerk for keeping my friends *actual* score? A few weeks back, a buddy that I play with regularly claimed to have beaten me with an 80. I shot 83. A legitimate 83. I played exceptionally well. His 80 was far from legitimate.

He's a player who won't even play his ball from the rough. If there is anything that might challenge his shot, he throws the ball into the middle of the fairway. I would guess that more than 60% of the time he plays two or 3 balls off the tee, and often takes multiple mulligans on a single hole. This has never bothered me. I'm playing my game and he is playing his. We're not betting, and we're not competing. But the second he gloated about beating me, I got angry inside.

Since then, on my score card, I have been counting every one of his strokes and penalty strokes (we've played twice since then.) I have not told him I've done this, and its very unlikely I ever will. It's just weird that all of the sudden I am feeling fiercely competitive in regards to playing with him. Not that it matters but his claims of 80s golf in reality have been 109 and 111.

I know a lot of folks will chime in and say to not pay attention, but here's the rub. I am a very fast player. I step up and hit. He, on the other hand, has a mind-numbingly long pre-shot routine from tee to green (e.g. in our last round I walked past him as he placed his ball on a tee, into a restroom, did my business, washed my hands, and back to my bag before he had begun his takeaway.) So that in itself sort of forces me to watch him, as I've got nothing else to do.

What do you think?

Do you enjoy playing with the player enough to let it go? As long is you are not playing competitively for money and it doesn't bother you carry on. Side not it would irk me as well.

I think it’s time for a new playing partner.

You’ll just get more aggravated. Not worth it.

With playing with the player and continuing to keep it to yourself. Or you could tell him you are a cheater and see how the player responds.

He wants to write down an 80 then let him write down an 80.

But if he boasts about beating you that's when you drop the hammer on him and tell him what he does during a round of golf.

If you play with them regularly it’s going to fester to a point when you unload on the guy.

You could always bring a 3rd person to dispute his score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only THINK he began his takeaway when you were in the restroom. In reality, that was his 3rd ball off the tee :dazed:

Honestly, I wouldn't keep his score but if he ever bragged about beating me again I'd make sure he was aware of every mulli, OB shot, and footwedge during the next round.

I guess if you enjoy his company, then keep playing with him and just let it slide. Otherwise I would find another partner to play with.

But if he boasts about beating you that's when you drop the hammer on him and tell him what he does during a round of golf.

.....this

Its one thing to do what hes doing...which is totally fine. As long as one is having fun and enjoying it. But when they say they beat you and do all that.....I would def keep score then go yeah I don't think so

I wouldn't say you are an A-hole, you just keep a proper score.

If they want to play that way either:
A) Let them record their own score
B) Find new people to play with

Boasting about your score though, while taking liberties, will quickly get a a response though.

100% agree.

Sounds like I’d find someone new to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No your not. I would let it go till he started Bragging about it also.

Is this "you lifted your head bro" guy?

He's shaving 20-30 off his score and bragging he won?!?!? Nah you're not the problem whatsoever, I'd find a new partner.

Agreed with most here. I have a couple of casually playing friends that have pulled similar. I'm fine with people keeping their own score. Once it becomes a competition though, be it for money or bragging rights, I'm going to count everything and let them know about it.

Let it go, keep it friendly, have fun, you're not betting money, you're not getting a trophy, if he wants to feel better about his lousy play that's his thing.

And if he boasts about beating you just laugh it off and agree, bragging rights don't even matter in this case, it's just the two of you and you know the truth, I bet he does too.

Next round I'd tell him you're keeping real score and see if he wants to bet he can't break 100.

Bout sums it up!

Other than the overall yes I fully expect to get with a question like this, I'd like to bring up something more specific.

Am I a jerk for keeping my friends *actual* score? A few weeks back, a buddy that I play with regularly claimed to have beaten me with an 80. I shot 83. A legitimate 83. I played exceptionally well. His 80 was far from legitimate.

He's a player who won't even play his ball from the rough. If there is anything that might challenge his shot, he throws the ball into the middle of the fairway. I would guess that more than 60% of the time he plays two or 3 balls off the tee, and often takes multiple mulligans on a single hole. This has never bothered me. I'm playing my game and he is playing his. We're not betting, and we're not competing. But the second he gloated about beating me, I got angry inside.

Since then, on my score card, I have been counting every one of his strokes and penalty strokes (we've played twice since then.) I have not told him I've done this, and its very unlikely I ever will. It's just weird that all of the sudden I am feeling fiercely competitive in regards to playing with him. Not that it matters but his claims of 80s golf in reality have been 109 and 111.

I know a lot of folks will chime in and say to not pay attention, but here's the rub. I am a very fast player. I step up and hit. He, on the other hand, has a mind-numbingly long pre-shot routine from tee to green (e.g. in our last round I walked past him as he placed his ball on a tee, into a restroom, did my business, washed my hands, and back to my bag before he had begun his takeaway.) So that in itself sort of forces me to watch him, as I've got nothing else to do.

What do you think?

We're still playing tomorrow right? I'll let you know what I think after the round... :angel:

My suggestion is to stop playing with this person on the regular... there is clearly an annoyance that has carried thru and you should be having fun... not worrying about how many times this guy uses a foot wedge from the rough... or thinking about his shot routine

We're still playing tomorrow right? I'll let you know what I think after the round... :angel:

My suggestion is to stop playing with this person on the regular... there is clearly an annoyance that has carried thru and you should be having fun... not worrying about how many times this guy uses a foot wedge from the rough... or thinking about his shot routine

Let me know if he's hitting a driver off the tee yet.

I think it’s time for a new playing partner.

You’ll just get more aggravated. Not worth it.

I agree might be time to part ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend like this, 3 drops later and he calls it a par. We do not golf with him anymore because his insane competitiveness laced with lies is just insufferable.

Back