X.Man's 30day Prep for the Gauntlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff Xavier! You may want to try something that I will be trying this weekend after reading a thread that was started a day or two ago. Squaring up your right foot. After reading that thread in a hotel room last night, I took some air swings with my normal set up and could tell the slightly flared right foot was not helping me with weight distribution especially coming through the ball. Felt like I was starting with too much weight on my right side with this set up and almost lunging upwards at the ball on contact which probably helps explain my tendency to hit low, bottom groove pull shots. When I squared my right foot, it felt like my weight started more evenly distributed at set up and the transfer throughout the swing felt more fluid. We will see how it translates to hitting balls this weekend but I am certainly encouraged.

Look forward to following along with your progress. I know you will kick arse!

Great stuff Xavier! You may want to try something that I will be trying this weekend after reading a thread that was started a day or two ago. Squaring up your right foot. After reading that thread in a hotel room last night, I took some air swings with my normal set up and could tell the slightly flared right foot was not helping me with weight distribution especially coming through the ball. Felt like I was starting with too much weight on my right side with this set up and almost lunging upwards at the ball on contact which probably helps explain my tendency to hit low, bottom groove pull shots. When I squared my right foot, it felt like my weight started more evenly distributed at set up and the transfer throughout the swing felt more fluid. We will see how it translates to hitting balls this weekend but I am certainly encouraged.

Look forward to following along with your progress. I know you will kick arse!

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've actually started to flare out my LEFT foot in an effort to clear my left side instead of sliding into the ball. I'll check my RIGHT foot next time I am the range

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've actually started to flare out my LEFT foot in an effort to clear my left side instead of sliding into the ball. I'll check my RIGHT foot next time I am the range

I never really thought about it either until the thread popped up a few days ago. For me, bringing the right foot back to square gives me a feeling of a more firm right side to start the downswing on a better path that I believe will help me hit down and through the ball better.

OK if that's the case then I know what panda means because he's mentioned to me before. It's almost like a slight roll of the forearm as the shaft goes parallel to the ground. Now that makes sense on what I need to do

I am quoting you again on this X. Hit the range just now before work with this thought in the back of my head. I had been really struggling with poor contact and pulling my irons recently but really focused on the forearm turn and the toe sticking up this morning. Ball flight looks great now and dead straight with a slight fade or draw everytime.

I like the thread, X! Keep up the hard work and I look forward to seeing the final results in a month!!

Looking forward to following along on your journey to The Gauntlet.

Snagged this one on the 18th hole. Entire round I was working on having toe of club pointed at the Sky once the shaft got parallel to the ground. But in this video I think I got the clubhead going little bit too quick inside. I think what needs to happen is that the clubhead needs to stay outside of my hands once club is parallel to ground.

https://vimeo.com/163188320

That swing is looking pretty good.

X-Man - That is a really nice looking swing!
The impact sound just sounds so pure!

I've got a lot of work to do in this last month leading up to #TheGauntlet!
I just hope I can hit the ball as solid as you are!

Last edited:
Have you had a chance to scope out the course yet from either google earth or online yardage books? Should be part of the preparation as well imo.
Swing is looking pretty good.

Have you had a chance to scope out the course yet from either google earth or online yardage books? Should be part of the preparation as well imo.
Swing is looking pretty good.

I've looked at the yardages. Google Earth is a good idea. But you just brought up a good point for me to start looking at all the holes and how I would play each hole depending on the layout and what club to use of the tee and start getting comfortable that way as well

How much distance do you sacrifice with a slower swing? While I do feel your swing is getting better. Your transition is placing you in front of the ball and your arm are trailing in a big way.

I've looked at the yardages. Google Earth is a good idea. But you just brought up a good point for me to start looking at all the holes and how I would play each hole depending on the layout and what club to use of the tee and start getting comfortable that way as well

Team golf. Don't over think this stuff. Keep the ball in front of you, make sure your short game is dialed in and did I mention keep the ball in front of you?

How much distance do you sacrifice with a slower swing? While I do feel your swing is getting better. Your transition is placing you in front of the ball and your arm are trailing in a big way.

Not sure as I was at the range and wasn't using rangefinder to pinpoint distances. Was just throwing at targets. I don't know if I slowed down the swing but I've shortened it. Last nights range session was really really good. The best yet. I felt like I shortened the backswing up quite a bit. I think swing speed is still there but with the shorter back swing. Actually I was hitting the center of the face more. Not sure if there is gonna be a huge distant loss with a purer strike and shooter back swing. Another thing to mention is I was actually working on stance as well and keeping my stance for all my clubs just about the same. Trying to keep it as consistent as possible. I heard someone mention that in another thread

Not sure as I was at the range and wasn't using rangefinder to pinpoint distances. Was just throwing at targets. I don't know if I slowed down the swing but I've shortened it. Last nights range session was really really good. The best yet. I felt like I shortened the backswing up quite a bit. I think swing speed is still there but with the shorter back swing. Actually I was hitting the center of the face more. Not sure if there is gonna be a huge distant loss with a purer strike and shooter back swing. Another thing to mention is I was actually working on stance as well and keeping my stance for all my clubs just about the same. Trying to keep it as consistent as possible. I heard someone mention that in another thread

I don't mind a quick swing. But if the swing is out of sync, it's and issue. Do me a favor and get me a video of you hitting 3/4 shots. Take notice of your distance.

Looking good X. I'm enjoying following your progress.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Back at the range tonight. Videos coming shortly

b2de021c8f1643ab28d0af7e40c3776f.jpg

Check your all position, seems a bit far back in your stance. Also your set upon your right heel. Get your weight forward toward balls of your feet. That rear leg isn't supporting you like if like to see. The swing it self looks great. Just need the lower body to be on point.

b2de021c8f1643ab28d0af7e40c3776f.jpg

Check your all position, seems a bit far back in your stance. Also your set upon your right heel. Get your weight forward toward balls of your feet. That rear leg isn't supporting you like if like to see. The swing it self looks great. Just need the lower body to be on point.

Thanks Panda! Making small progress. Didn't even realize the ball position. Was working on alignment and forgot to check that.

What do you mean by rear leg isn't supporting?

Enjoying watching your progress, Xavier. Keep it up!

Thanks Panda! Making small progress. Didn't even realize the ball position. Was working on alignment and forgot to check that.

What do you mean by rear leg isn't supporting?
its almost acting as a kick stand. When on your heel it hard to drive back through. Get the leg under you not behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back