DirtyTee

Expert Hacker
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Too High
The Ping Eye 2 or upgrade thread got me to thinking.

I was really holding off until probably Christmas to upgrade much if any of my actual equipment in terms of clubs, and I am still super new to this, but should I find a newer/used set of game improvement irons while learning the game? I have an unknown age Adams Tight Lies GT2 set (not undercut) and they are in great shape, but they aren't tried and true like the Ping Eye 2 mentioned in the other thread. You can't find anything on the GT2's unless they are the undercut version.

I plan on have a few lessons soon. If I do upgrade to some slightly better budget newer/used clubs, should I do it before any lessons?

What say the THP wizards?

I would upgrade after lessons only if you are planning on some in the near future. Sure there’s a lot of tech that’s better with today’s irons, but it won’t be as drastic as if you were hitting a persimmon driver and upgraded to something modern. A flushed iron shot is pretty much a flushed iron shot and you may see some small differences in distance between a modern club of the same loft and an older one but it won’t be as drastic as driver. An older club may say 7i and today that same lofted club may say 9i though due to advancement in tech to get the ball in the air.

I’d wait until post lesson to upgrade for sure. Your swing may be drastically different particularly if you’ve never taken lessons before.

Good luck!

Quick Edit: No Wizard here, lol. Just a golfer that has played lots of equipment searching for the holy grail. I’m a much worse golfer than when I used Ping Eye 2’s and 15 year old tech in woods. So there’s that. I’m finally realizing it’s the Indian and not the arrow and this Indian Is not comfortable with his arrows since he discards them the second they don’t fly true. So I’m sticking with what I’ve got unless good reason to change for a while. That and I now have reached the “I have one of everything” level. Final bag decisions for me will be made in the next week and I’ll play that for the rest of the season and beyond, absent any more THP awesomeness being won.

Back