The Iron Covers Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, quick note, I don't use them and never have, but have a question. When did they get this weird bad wrap thing? Why do metal woods, hybrids and putters all get covered, but not irons? Is it the amount of use? I'm genuinely curious here.

WEB2694112-BAB49F0B-76D8-F093-6437-F334D44D6928.jpg

I have no idea and have always used them. The only 2 clubs in my bag that don't have covers are my 54 and 58 degree wedges. I seperate them in my bag so the covered PW and GW are between them so they don't bang together. Just never have covered those 2 clubs for some reason.

I like the idea for traveling but not for everyday use. Too many headcovers on/off throughout a round if I included my irons.

Looking at my irons in my bag brings me pleasure :) Covers are like putting seat covers over the beautiful leather seats in your car ... Can't enjoy.

I honestly don't care if it doesn't slow the group down, but I joke around about it because "its a thing" as people like to say.

My dad uses them and he's learned to grab the club with head cover and just put the cover in his pocket. Then he can put the head cover back on when he's walking back to the cart.

I am a reformed user, Jman's presence in S.C. scared me straight.

But I also quit the cigs so there's that.

For me, it's annoying to swap them on and off after every single shot. Which is probably the lowest effort thing to be annoyed about, but it is what it is.

I don't mind them. I just wouldn't use them as it is too much for me to keep up with on the course. I would for sure lose some.

Not sure why they got a bad wrap.. I just like to protect my investment, it doesn't slow any pace down for the second it takes to pull the cover off and put back on when done hitting the shot. No difference in putting the 3W cover back on as mentioned above. I always here guys say it adds some character to the irons, I say BS. It is just as bad as players who never clean there clubs.

Okay, quick note, I don't use them and never have, but have a question. When did they get this weird bad wrap thing? Why do metal woods, hybrids and putters all get covered, but not irons? Is it the amount of use? I'm genuinely curious here.

WEB2694112-BAB49F0B-76D8-F093-6437-F334D44D6928.jpg

I would imagine its the painted/finished surfaces, or to keep the face of a putter free of blemishes that might affect roll that us mere mortals would never be able to perceive.

I would imagine its the painted/finished surfaces, or to keep the face of a putter free of blemishes that might affect roll that us mere mortals would never be able to perceive.

Wouldn’t that be the same of the face of irons? Heck so many irons have painted cavities as well.

I just picked up a THP dislike of iron covers from the Grandaddy thread last year. I have used iron covers for years. Top (2) reasons - stop the noise of irons banging against each other and protect the clubs (looking like new) I'll leave the headcover off my driver but seldom have an uncovered 8I.

I’ve heard people complain that they can retain moisture and promote rusting. I personally don’t use them walking but I will when in a cart since the noise of them rattling annoys me. Lol

I'm not getting dings or clinks on my crown of a hybrid or driver. Not getting a ding or clink on my putter.

People want to use iron covers go right ahead. Your bag, your clubs, your choice.

Personally I liked when @JasonFinleyCG took off the iron covers of @tequila4kapp at The Grandaddy. Let them chatter!!

I just love the look of the set of irons in the bag. I think a little bag chatter is part of the characteristics. I would love it if I were good enough to have a wear spot in the proper place the size of a dime and a set of irons that looks used.

To me, head covers on drivers/woods is necessary, because they are more fragile. I like the head cover on a putter to help protect the dinging against the woods, and particularly the graphite shafts, not so much for the putter.

It also is fun to joke about the stigma attached to iron head covers, but honestly, they don’t bother me too much.

Wouldn’t that be the same of the face of irons? Heck so many irons have painted cavities as well.
It absolutley could, but I dont think the painted surfaces of the backs of irons are as exposed, as say, the crown of a driver. It could also be as simple as there being way more irons, and not wanting to take the time. Wouldn't put laziness past any of us.

Not sure why they got a bad wrap.. I just like to protect my investment, it doesn't slow any pace down for the second it takes to pull the cover off and put back on when done hitting the shot. No difference in putting the 3W cover back on as mentioned above.

+1, I'm a User!!

I'm not getting dings or clinks on my crown of a hybrid or driver. Not getting a ding or clink on my putter.

People want to use iron covers go right ahead. Your bag, your clubs, your choice.

Personally I liked when @JasonFinleyCG took off the iron covers of @tequila4kapp at The Grandaddy. Let them chatter!!

Exact reference, thank you. I'm just a pot stirrer... wipe the wrench before hanging on the peg board, clean the tool before putting in their case, covers on irons:deadhorse:

You know they're just club condoms, helps keep you safe for turf interactions

I use them to keep the chatter marks down. I always have and don't mind the ribbing/jokes that I often hear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't get the rap at all. I don't have them on while playing but they're on all other times.

Not sure why they got a bad wrap.. I just like to protect my investment, it doesn't slow any pace down for the second it takes to pull the cover off and put back on when done hitting the shot. No difference in putting the 3W cover back on as mentioned above. I always here guys say it adds some character to the irons, I say BS. It is just as bad as players who never clean there clubs.
This. I can attest to this, too. I took the irons that Dave sold me to be bent today and the clubmaker asked if they were new!

Iron headcovers FTW!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use them and love them.

For those that are against them, are there any styles that are worse than others or any style that are "almost" acceptable?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't use them, nor do I play with anyone who uses them, but who would care one way or the other? I see a lot of single iron covers in the lost and found corner at my course - a whole lot more than wood covers.

I’ve always had “used” clubs, so when I got my NEW M4 irons from THP and purchased my recent 919 Hot Metals, I put covers on them.
It keeps them nice-looking longer, especially when I wipe them off before I recover.

Yes, they’re designed to be used, but they don’t have to be banged up in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back