International Foods - Your Selections

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
GolferGal and I were having a nice meal last night and started talking about the different foods from different regions we really enjoy. Living where we do, and traveling where we have, it has really opened our eyes to different cultural options. So what are some of your favorite international foods?

Nothing out of the ordinary here, Italian, Mexican and Polish. Mostly based on places visited and heritage.

GOOD Indian Food is one of my favorites, but it has to be authentic and good. Bad Indian food could be the worst thing to try and eat.

I like Indian food, but good authentic Mexican food would be at the top of my list.

Nothing beats great Mexican food.

There are some British dishes I love that really bring me back to my childhood growing up with my grandparents and mom who are from England. Bangers and mash, shepherds pie, and home made bread pudding are some of my favorites.

Also on my list: Authentic mexican food/tacos and Sushi

Good Mexican is pretty much a staple for me, good tex-mex can be pretty awesome. Good Thai food when you can find it is great.

Mexican for sure. A little bit of Greek and a splash of Arabic

• Admin
GOOD Indian Food is one of my favorites, but it has to be authentic and good. Bad Indian food could be the worst thing to try and eat.

We were talking last night about how fortunate we are in this area for the Greek Food too. Largest percentage of Greek Americans and the restaurants are to die for.

... Good Thai food when you can find it is great.

As a chef/friend once told me: good Thai food is the combination of the best Chinese, Japanese and Indian cuisine - with a dash of 'exotic' thrown into the mix. I don't think he's wrong.

Ironically, when he comes to visit the only meal he requests is a homemade pasty... (the definition of not-exotic)

We were talking last night about how fortunate we are in this area for the Greek Food too. Largest percentage of Greek Americans and the restaurants are to die for.
Good call on the Greek food. Amazing.

OOhh. Good Greek food is pretty awesome too.

Mexican and Thai are on the top of my list.

Sushi, good Mexican, Greek, all favorites.

Kinda sucks that there isn't any real good Mexican near me. Luckily the other two we have locked down.

Greek, Indian, Laotian, Nepali, I can usually find something to enjoy on any menu.

Madison really spoiled me with amazing restaurant options. I'm convinced that per capita it's probably the best place for food in the country. (Partially because the city is only 240K people)

Authentic Mexican and Italian are two of my favorites, lately have really gotten into Thai food as well.

Greek, Indian, Laotian, Nepali, I can usually find something to enjoy on any menu.

Madison really spoiled me with amazing restaurant options. I'm convinced that per capita it's probably the best place for food in the country. (Partially because the city is only 240K people)

We are a bit spoiled here and it's getting better every year. I'm always a little surprised that Madison can sustain such a robust and diversified dining market given our limited population.

For me it's in this order

Sushi/Japanese
Italian ( I'm a sucker for a good Veal Parm)
Mexican
Greek
Thai
Chinese

I'm convinced that per capita it's probably the best place for food in the country. (Partially because the city is only 240K people)

Honest question. Do you travel a lot?

South American/Caribbean cuisine is probably at the top. Love Italian food.

I'm the ugly American, having traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia if it's not Italian (and I'm in Italy!) I'm not interested. My last trip to India saw my bag packed with Lance peanut butter crackers, power bars and mini bottles of water. Too many nights hovering over the bowl or sitting on it have scarred me!

Authentic Asian cusine is to die for. We were spoiled I'm Chicago. You could go into Chinatown and walk into a ton of restaurants with little English on the menus and get some of the best food ever.

Honest question. Do you travel a lot?

I don't have platinum/diamond status, but I've traveled a fair bit. In the past couple of years I've spent at least a week in Copenhagen, London, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, LA, Palm Springs, Denver, New York, Tampa, and (closer to home) Chicago and Minneapolis.

Most of those places would probably rate reasonably high on the foodie scale, and Madison is (surprisingly) right there with them. (Especially, again, if we're talking per capita quality)

Last edited:
I could list several, but today, the one at the top of my list is Cuban.

Back