Low spin driver shaft

Cjgolf25

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently in the market for a new shaft for my J815. My current one is producing to much spin and robbing me of some precious distance. Right now its between an Aldila RIP Alpha 60 or a Fujikura Motore Speeder 661. Anyone have any experience with these and if so, what head did you pair them with? Any other shaft recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Currently in the market for a new shaft for my J815. My current one is producing to much spin and robbing me of some precious distance. Right now its between an Aldila RIP Alpha 60 or a Fujikura Motore Speeder 661. Anyone have any experience with these and if so, what head did you pair them with? Any other shaft recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

How stiff are you looking for? I have a few lowspin options that might work out if you want to come take a gander. TBH I don't recall exactly what shafts I have anymore, I know I have a Black Tie

How stiff are you looking for? I have a few lowspin options that might work out if you want to come take a gander. TBH I don't recall exactly what shafts I have anymore, I know I have a Black Tie

Stiff flex is what I am looking for. Id love to come take a look at your stock pile when you have free time.

Aldila Tour green or Rouge I/O silver. HZRDUS black. I know UST has some good ones too but I'm not sure which are the lower spinning options.

But isn't the 815 a "higher spinning" head in general compared to others? what numbers are you seeing?

i would want to make sure first and foremost that spin really is the issue.

but if you're looking for lower spin, i would think kiyoshi purple, black tie, kuro kage tini, diamana blue board, fuji pro tour spec, aldila tour green, and rogue silver would be decent fits.

Aldila Tour green or Rouge I/O silver. HZRDUS black. I know UST has some good ones too but I'm not sure which are the lower spinning options.

But isn't the 815 a "higher spinning" head in general compared to others? what numbers are you seeing?

Yes the J815 is higher spinning and launching then the J715, not sure when compared to JGR. I got on flight scope with my current setup and I was seeing spin numbers has high as 4500.

i would want to make sure first and foremost that spin really is the issue.

but if you're looking for lower spin, i would think kiyoshi purple, black tie, kuro kage tini, diamana blue board, fuji pro tour spec, aldila tour green, and rogue silver would be decent fits.

I believe it is the shaft. When I attended the Live driver testing last year, the J815 was paired with the Aldila RIP Alpha 60 and I was loving it. If remember spin numbers were somewhere in the 2700 range and I was hitting it about 280 yds.

Yes the J815 is higher spinning and launching then the J715, not sure when compared to JGR. I got on flight scope with my current setup and I was seeing spin numbers has high as 4500.

I believe it is the shaft. When I attended the Live driver testing last year, the J815 was paired with the Aldila RIP Alpha 60 and I was loving it. If remember spin numbers were somewhere in the 2700 range and I was hitting it about 280 yds.

with those spin numbers it sure sounds like it.

I gamed the rip phenom as a stock setup in an r1 for awhile. way too low spin for me so maybe it would be a good fit for you.

As someone who has been there and spent that money. No shaft will drop your spin from 4500-2700. Your swing must have been less steep that day that typical. A shaft can help cut down, but it won't make a difference like that. I recall JB trying to help me bring it down when my spin numbers were similar and he stuck a PX 7.0 that was essentially Rebar and it still didn't bring it down below high 3000s.

I have trouble getting my spin below 3000 (and I've basically just decided not to worry about it too much as long as I'm happy with my ball flight and carry), but I've had good luck with the Diamana Whiteboard. I tried the Tour Green and didn't think it was particularly low spinning, at least for me. I also got along much better with the Whiteboard than the Rogue, but a lot of it is probably just personal preference.

I was just on flightscope hitting my BBA 815 with a Speeder 565 at stock callaway length 45.5" and compared it to RIP Phenom 65 at 45" both in S flex. With the RIP phenom my spin was consistently around 2900rpm's. With the Speeder 565 I got down as low as 1700rpm's with highest at 2500rpm's. Strike matters but I never got below 2900 with the Phenom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think what i've learned from my time here on thp is that chasing numbers with shafts is an expensive and usually fruitless effort for a hack like i am; it's better to find the numbers through head, then tweak for feel with shaft.

so if you're having spin issues, the j815 may not be the best fit. maybe something like the sub zero or dbd, or even the j715.

I own a foresight GC2 and alot of drivers/shaft combo's. I've found spins rates to only change a small amount (200-300 rpm) between shafts. I fitted a friend of mine from a Taylormade R7 quad which was averaging 3500-4000 spin into a Razr fit xtreme blueboard combo which saw him drop to 2200-2500. I believe clubhead & strike position have the biggest bearing on spin. The shaft when its the right weight and length for you is going to help your feel and confidence in what your swinging, which will lead to finding the sweet spot more and better drives.

I have had some interesting results on my Flightscope with testing. I think shaft response for my swing does not always follow convention. That being said, I have found the usual suspects for this to significantly give me the best (lowest) spin numbers with a few heads: Rogue Silver, Kuro Kage Silver or XT, HZRDUS Black and Motore Speeder .2 Tour Specs. If any of those can fit your swing, worth checking out. That being said, the biggest swings I typically see (exceptional) is about 500RPM. Haven't had a shaft cut over a 1000 RPMs off.

I've tested many shafts and numerous heads and I've come to find it's not necessarily what the shaft is designed to be but how you load the shaft. What your swing does to the shaft/head will greatly dictate what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back