Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

If I get my custom UST Mamiya shaft back tomorrow from my club builder, it is going in the GBB and I think the GBB is going to get the green light for the entire round on Saturday. Very much looking forward to it.

Im convinced this is still the best driver I have tried to date.
I missed one yesterday that was an inch from center towards the toe (a full inch) and was in perfect position with solid distance still.
Was in the fairway each time I used it (only played 9) and the confidence is through the roof.

If I get my custom UST Mamiya shaft back tomorrow from my club builder, it is going in the GBB and I think the GBB is going to get the green light for the entire round on Saturday. Very much looking forward to it.
Really really liked this combo yesterday. My dad is convinced I should use this combo for the rest of my life I think. :D

Had my first round with this on the course today and once I get the swing changes bedded in more this is going to be an excellent weapon off the tee. I didn't hit it on the first tee as it is a short dogleg par 4 but I decided to give it a swing on the second hole

With the swing changes I am working on I am hitting more draw/straight shots so I took aim down the right side of the fairway and pushed it slightly but it flew clear over the bunker and finished just under the edge of the trees on the right side - if it had been dry the ball would have come out of the semi rough and probably ran another 20 yards or so

The best shot I hit with this was on the 14th where I launched a lovely bomb up the right hand side of the fairway that turned slightly back towards the middle. I didn't measure it but it felt good and watching that nice flight heading up the fairway was very satisfying to see - was a shame I didn't hit my approach as well as the drive

Good stuff TD.

I just played my first round with my GBB.
I had some setup issues on the course which made me put some bad swings on it which lead to some duck hooks.

I did finally start to fix my setup issues at the end of the round and I smoked one 270 yards into a stiff wind. :bananadance:
The ball just seemed to carry in the air for a LOOOOONG time even in the head wind. Best drive of the day!

Thats awesome arvin. Glad you are liking your new driver.

I went out for another round today and was just creaming the snot out of the ball today!

I went out as a single and was paired with a couple of big boys (250 lbs+). They hit their drives deep and were pretty happy about it. The looks on their faces were priceless when I (160 lbs) stepped up and smoked my drive past theirs. I measured one of them at 290 yards with my GPS.

I am LOVING this driver!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow and tinkering with the GBB. 4 shafts to figure out which I want to stay with (Kuro Kage, Fubuki, THP Custom, and Matrix Red Tie). Hoping to iron out some of the issues I had during my first round of the year. Adjustment alone is going to be a help.

Finally getting a weather break before a week's worth of rain hits.

I held one of these in our pro shop and it felt really nice. They are pushing XR, but this appeals a little more to me. How does the GBB feel at impact compared to the BBA 815? My two complaints with 815 are the tin sound and a miss that just dives short. And did folks who moved from 815 to GBB stay with the same loft? Thanks!!

My GBB should be showing up tomorrow! Probably going to have an inch or so taken off… haven't decided yet. Anyone have a spare cut down shaft laying around? Something around 65grams, low spin, stiff flex. LOL

I held one of these in our pro shop and it felt really nice. They are pushing XR, but this appeals a little more to me. How does the GBB feel at impact compared to the BBA 815? My two complaints with 815 are the tin sound and a miss that just dives short. And did folks who moved from 815 to GBB stay with the same loft? Thanks!!

I spent some time with a BBA 815 last year (thanks GEO) and have moved to the GBB this year but I have to say that I was fitted for the GBB whereas the BBA 815 wasn't

The sound of drivers is not something I really pay any attention to so I wouldn't like to comment on differences there

I can pretty much tell you that you will have a very good idea of where you struck the ball on the face with the GBB - heel and toe shots are obvious but I don't feel like I am losing too much distance on off-centre hits

My miss now is predominantly a big hook when I get too aggressive with my release and turn the club over too much, but nothing can really help with that as it is certainly not the club. Other than that miss, I can't say I have seen anything diving short for me

I did stay with the same loft (10.5) in the GBB, initially I had it set at +1/D but I have since dropped it back down to S/N with the swing changes I have made during my lessons as I am now hitting up on the ball rather than down (my AOA has gone from -3 to around +2 / +3 with some swings even nearer to +4)

All over the face tonight, tring to figure out what setup I want to stick with; where I wanted to position the ball, and tee height.
f6ac52f32b0e61a65100ca50d0020eea.jpg

Forgiveness is the word of the day. Mishits (and there were plenty), had the loss of distance and distance offline really minimized. Really just wish it could eliminate the high toe/idiot mark pop-up that I have done both times out this year .

I just noticed this wear on the shaft and have no idea where it came from. It's like something has been rubbing at it. Has anyone seen something like this before?

8c3b1494fceacf4b7b59b01cf8e09d1b.jpg

94e21786ac7460bc4f25200b68c44963.jpg

3778e038e29394a672c7ce2910b73769.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen it the odd time with the shaft rubbing on the lip of a bag. But this is on a shaft that has been used for years, not something a year old.

I'm guessing something is broken or frayed inside your bag that is rubbing on the shaft? Or maybe up at the lip? Another thought is a metal towel clip? That kinda wear isn't normal.

I have seen it the odd time with the shaft rubbing on the lip of a bag. But this is on a shaft that has been used for years, not something a year old.

I'm guessing something is broken or frayed inside your bag that is rubbing on the shaft? Or maybe up at the lip? Another thought is a metal towel clip? That kinda wear isn't normal.

Well I just got the bag about a week or so ago so I hope nothing is broke on it already. I'll have to take a closer look.

Got out tonight comparing the THP Custom Shaft while switching between the Great Big Bertha, Alpha 815, and Big Bertha.

Great Big Bertha, just so much more forgiving than the other two for me tonight, really reaffirming the choice of head (I still wish I had a 10.5 instead of the higher lofted 13.5). Long and straight. Long and a slight draw. Again and again. The draw still catches me off guard, it is so completely out of the norm for me....... but maybe that is the new norm!

After a few more rounds in the books with this, I'm still as happy with it as the day I got it. I'm working on a more detailed review, but it's just so fun to be hitting nice high straight drives. My confidence with this club is through the roof.

After a few more rounds in the books with this, I'm still as happy with it as the day I got it. I'm working on a more detailed review, but it's just so fun to be hitting nice high straight drives. My confidence with this club is through the roof.

I've got the same setup as you, and I haven't found it's equal. With a good swing it delivers every time.

Add two washers under the weight to go deep. Get the bigger one off the sleeve screw, and another from a hardware store. R-Moto will be working better :bashful:

Went back to the GBB after playing a couple rounds with a different driver head. Reminded me why I bought this thing in the first place. Bombs all day, and the forgiveness high on the face is a lifesaver for me. Confidence is still the best attribute for this driver when I have it in play.

I need to get some time to sit down and write more about this club, but after a couple days away on our golf trip I am gaining more and more confidence on the tee with it - so much so that I am now setting up to aim down the right side of the fairway and watch it either fly nice and straight or turn back towards the middle

There was only one instance where I lost the ball to the right (which cost me a lost ball as we couldn't see it land and the ground was so soft that it must have plugged in the semi-rough) and that was definitely the muppet swinging the club that was to blame

It has been a long time since I felt so comfortable with a driver, and I expect the lessons have a lot to say for that, but this club is staying in my bag for the forseeable future - unless I happen to be lucky enough to be included on a certain trip in December in which case it could be replaced by a newer model from the same company :D

I was getting some solid ball speed numbers yesterday with the GBB and the OBAN (151 is huge for me). The flight was a little higher than I'm used to, however. I'm a little nervous that I may be losing some distance to backspin, but it's hard to tell at my range I need to get this pair to golfusa for some simulator data.

Back