barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve always been a flipper and play to a decent standard but I’m making a real conscious effort to have my hands leading the club face at impact but I can’t quite get it. Any advice or drills to work on having those damn hands ahead at impact?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always been a flipper and play to a decent standard but I’m making a real conscious effort to have my hands leading the club face at impact but I can’t quite get it. Any advice or drills to work on having those damn hands ahead at impact?

Thanks

I still flip some, but a lot less than I used to. One thing that really helped was using an alignment stick as an extension of my grip. It forces you to turn your body in the swing instead of flipping with your hands. If you flip, the end of the alignment stick will whack you in the side.

This video appears to be using the stick in the same way to address some other issues, but you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks

I've been looking for a good deal on a tour striker. I have read some good things about it. I have read a few places it's possible to cheat it? But from the looks of the things it would seem to be pretty hard. I am working more on my tendency to reverse pivot. But those two things go hand in hand. I feel like my impact position is quasi correct when I don't reverse pivot. Anyway. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've been looking for a good deal on a tour striker. I have read some good things about it. I have read a few places it's possible to cheat it? But from the looks of the things it would seem to be pretty hard. I am working more on my tendency to reverse pivot. But those two things go hand in hand. I feel like my impact position is quasi correct when I don't reverse pivot. Anyway. Good luck.

Fluffy lies will cheat it since you can get the leading edge under the ball. Find a nice tight lie and it’s tough to cheat like that.

Thanks

Band aid quick fixes don't work. "Flipping" is related to your address fundamentals; grip-posture-alignment. If you desire to have lag (grip end of the club leading through impact), that will come naturally from fundamentally sound grip-posture-alignment technique.

Fluffy lies will cheat it since you can get the leading edge under the ball. Find a nice tight lie and it’s tough to cheat like that.
The range I most frequent has fairway ish turf. It's a little loose but definitely short. You could probably dig a trench to the ball but I think but at that point there would be feedback regardless. I think I'll give one a try. I just want to pick one up on a deal. I am making progress with posture and a steeper backswing. I am liking the results especially when I had paired this with any forward dynamic loft. The left wrist is playing a key roll in that. Range session yesterday was not bad. Most common miss was a block left. I still don't draw the ball. But good shots were pure and a beautiful piercing flight. And straight. No fade or draw. Gonna keep working on it.

The range I most frequent has fairway ish turf. It's a little loose but definitely short. You could probably dig a trench to the ball but I think but at that point there would be feedback regardless. I think I'll give one a try. I just want to pick one up on a deal. I am making progress with posture and a steeper backswing. I am liking the results especially when I had paired this with any forward dynamic loft. The left wrist is playing a key roll in that. Range session yesterday was not bad. Most common miss was a block left. I still don't draw the ball. But good shots were pure and a beautiful piercing flight. And straight. No fade or draw. Gonna keep working on it.

Block right

I think the most frustrating part of being a flipper is playing wedges. IE playing a SW around the green, because the dynamic loft and AA are wrong, it make sit impossible to hit a 56° pitch for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think the most frustrating part of being a flipper is playing wedges. IE playing a SW around the green, because the dynamic loft and AA are wrong, it make sit impossible to hit a 56° pitch for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This would be a great place to start that feeling however. When the wrist break down in Pitch shots all kinds of bad things happen. Everyone is different. But for me, I can't let myself flip in these shots or it's gonna get ugly. I am no pro so I don't always clip ball first but I find my wirsts have everything to do with (this and forward weight bias) at least clipping ball/ground simultaneously. I am sure there are people that get away with an early release on these kind of shots but not many.
If you could try to groove that feeling in those short shots it could be a place to build from?

Band aid quick fixes don't work. "Flipping" is related to your address fundamentals; grip-posture-alignment. If you desire to have lag (grip end of the club leading through impact), that will come naturally from fundamentally sound grip-posture-alignment technique.

Thing is my coach thinks my address, grip and posture are all good, my take away aswell, position at the top. I just start my downswing with my right arm which I know is wrong

I still flip some, but a lot less than I used to. One thing that really helped was using an alignment stick as an extension of my grip. It forces you to turn your body in the swing instead of flipping with your hands. If you flip, the end of the alignment stick will whack you in the side.

This video appears to be using the stick in the same way to address some other issues, but you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks I’ll check this out

Barring any other impediment in your swing (address, weight placement, plane, etc.) one thing that I've found success with is the Forward Press. This is something that Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson use on a very regular basis, and is really exaggerated in DJ's swing.

I've tried to envision implementing the Forward Press to start my swing, then locking BOTH the left and right wrist into position during the back swing, and forward swing. I've found more success when taking slow half-swings, rather than attempting a full swing immediately.

-Bishop

Barring any other impediment in your swing (address, weight placement, plane, etc.) one thing that I've found success with is the Forward Press. This is something that Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson use on a very regular basis, and is really exaggerated in DJ's swing.

I've tried to envision implementing the Forward Press to start my swing, then locking BOTH the left and right wrist into position during the back swing, and forward swing. I've found more success when taking slow half-swings, rather than attempting a full swing immediately.

-Bishop
I feel like this does help me to a degree. Forward press (not a lot but a hint) helps me get the feeling of where I want to finish (this never occurred to me until another poster mentioned this) I have been experimenting with this some. Taking the club back wide, closed & trying to keep the club outside of my hands is definitely helping my over all results (also trying to rotate into my right hip not over it). The reason I say this is that you mentioned setting the wrists (early). Keeping in mind feel vs real I have also been trying to exaggerate the left bowed wrist at the top. My trouble is I don't necessarily feel like I am getting shallow enough and still feel steep (even though my results have been much better). I feel like I am 66% there. I think maybe the missing link for me may be the right elbow paired with getting enough hip rotation. I am striking the ball much better but even with my hands "feeling" ahead of the club head my consistency is still not quite there. I did run across a drill where you invert the club (on practice swings). This does help me get the feeling of coming more from the inside. That said I have yet to take it to the range and test it out. Love the feel of this drill however. So far anyway. I plan to video myself soon (hitting balls) and I know this will help a ton also. My visual feedback has mostly been in a mirror (not hitting balls). Hard to watch yourself take full swings that way.

https://youtu.be/I7ibcXrH0L0

Not particularly, you might set up correctly but then you have a weird turn or move away from the ball, then you start to compensate resulting in a flip

I just start my downswing with my right arm which I know is wrong

Tour pros are constantly checking and double checking grip-posture-alignment, so I suggest doing the same.
While alignment and posture heavily promote a particular swing's path, plane, and tempo , grip technique is the most influential. For example, were you to weaken your right hand grip (position it more on top of the club instead of to the side) that alone will completely eliminate the fault you have described.

Not particularly, you might set up correctly but then you have a weird turn or move away from the ball, then you start to compensate resulting in a flip

Fundamentally sound address posture and alignment , as well as grip technique , will prevent any "weird turn or move away from the ball".
Together, all three of these address fundamentals create and dictate every aspect of the swing.

Fundamentally sound address posture and alignment , as well as grip technique , will prevent any "weird turn or move away from the ball".
Together, all three of these address fundamentals create and dictate every aspect of the swing.

But they don't in all cases. I can set up perfectly as you say with amazing grip, posture, whatever then I don't rotate, I sway OR I can pick the club up super steep, shallow, whatever.

It makes it easier for us to make the correct movement but if you make those changes to correct grip, alignment and posture then do not change anything else in your swing you will get some big misses

But they don't in all cases. I can set up perfectly as you say with amazing grip, posture, whatever then I don't rotate, I sway OR I can pick the club up super steep, shallow, whatever.

It makes it easier for us to make the correct movement but if you make those changes to correct grip, alignment and posture then do not change anything else in your swing you will get some big misses

No player with fundamentally sound grip-posture-alignment is going to suffer from the swing faults you mention. For example, "swaying" (rather than turning) is directly related to the player's address posture. If a player has a fundamentally sound posture, including chin out a bit at address, he will naturally make a proper turn-weight shift, without having to think about it.
And the player "picking up the club" is doing so because his/her grip pressure is so tight that the arms alone produce the back swing. A player with correct grip technique (including relatively light grip pressure) will naturally engage the shoulders, torso to power the back swing, without having to think about it.
Really all aspects of every swing, good or bad, may be traced back to address position technique.This is why competent instructors put so much focus on address technique. And it is why Tour players, when their shot making and, or, swing is not where they want it, spend time checking and rechecking grip-posture-alignment.

I really need a coach... I'm the same, I can still play but am inconsistent enough where I need to scramble but the wheels haven't fallen off the wagon.

It's a weird sling flaw where you can be plagued by it and still be a legit single handicap golfer.

Back