bradley.spencer

Reaction score
Handicap
This is my first post so here goes!

Okay so I've been golfing for about a month now. I am a pretty fast learner and I started shooting a 149 on a par 72. I go down consistently every week and this week I finally shot under 100 and got a 97. I also got my first birdie this weekend! !!! I seem to be hitting greens and sinking putts pretty well... sometimes. About 2/3 of the time I hit the ball and it goes straight and usually right where I want it. I might miss judge it and grab the wrong club but I hit it well. I can live with that. But my major problem seems to be that I'll make a good drive then my approach shots I seem to top the ball and it goes 20 yards. I get frustrated and just walk up with the same club and then hit the green or do exactly what I wanted to do before. I guess my question is how do you hit it consistently. I can hit it where I want when I hit it right it just seems I never know if I'm going to hit it right. Also on the drive I hit it pretty far and straight but then a couple holes I'll fall apart. Is it just part of it or what??? I practice almost everyday and hit the driving range at least every other day. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas to be consistent. Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Welcome to golf LOL

The great drive followed by a horrible shot, a perfect drive one hole and a slice into oblivion the next hole. That's the life of a high handicap. However you've made in incredible progress in shooting under 100 in a month. Many take years to get there or some never do.

As as for getting more consistent or better. Do what it sounds like you've been doing. Keep practicing and get reps in. Also I'd advise a lesson while you're still forming your swing. As good of progress as you've made on your own, I'm sure a pro can help you even more. It sounds like you have a natural ability.

BTW, Welcome to THP AS WELL

Thank you I've played every sport and baseball was my sport so taking swings using my hips came pretty naturally but it's just frustrating. It would be different if I couldn't make good shots but when I top one I get really frustrated. This weekend I made tally marks on all topped shots and on the front 9 only had 2. Back 9 was like 7 or 8. I guess I've been going about a month and a half. I do know I've progressed pretty quickly so I can't complain but I always strive to do good in everything so I'm trying like crazy!!!

It also seems like I have a huge hole in my game and then I fix it that week then the next week I have a new problem. A couple weeks ago I really worked on chipping and putting and that helped my score get down from around 115 to 105 to 110. Now it's just not making bad shots I guess. I guess that's kind of the whole point. Only good shots huh. Lol

I look at it more like if it were easy, everybody would be at scratch golfers. Have you decided on lessons or anything of the sort?

I look at it more like if it were easy, everybody would be at scratch golfers. Have you decided on lessons or anything of the sort?
That's true!!! I've thought about it but I'm a broke college kid about to graduate and move. If I spent more money my wife would kill me!!! But I have thought about it for sure.

Welcome to THP. Sounds like you have made a bunch of progress in only a month which is great. Can't help with your topping problem as I love the worm burner myself:D

Make a couple practice swings grazing the grass to a good follow through, however the ball gets in the way. Line up & execute a nice swing shape and form and things will fly fine.

One month into the game is like picking your head up as a baby. Sometimes it stay and the world looks wonderful. Most of the time of flops about and you have no idea what the world looks like.

If you practice properly you will improve. I know you said your a broke college student but I'm assuming you have access to YouTube? If so that is a good way to get your swing right. Also let go of your expectations. Right now it should be to learn the golf swing not make pars and birdies. When you learn swing the rest will come. It will also temper your frustration.

You have made terrific progress. I m still a high handicap player so take my advice with a grain of salt. When I stopped topping the ball was when I took 2 lessons. I don't even know what the instructor said or did to get me swinging better but after the lessons topping the ball was no longer where my extra strokes were coming from.
Also, played with a friend of mine that was getting very upset about his game that particular round.
Another member of our foursome made the comment "you're not good enough to get mad at golf'" that always stuck with me. I play better when I take a calm approach than when I get frustrated. But that is just me. YMMV
Welcome to the game.

Welcome to THP! Keep working at it and get help when you can. You sound like a great athlete! It will come!!

First off, Welcome to THP, second, just keep playing/practicing and it'll come, that is great progress so far, I have no doubt you'll break 90 with a little more practice.

Welcome,
Your only playing for a month and broke 100. It takes most people years before that happens so consider yourself very fortunate instead of frustrated. I don't know if your playing legitimate rules (most beginners don't know or realize many of them) when you broke 100 but even if your several strokes above 100 that is still an extremely fortunate place to be only one month involved. Golf is not easy and one of the things you must not do is get angry and frustrated especially being so new. This game is a process and actually many would say a life long process. We are all (or most) always trying to get better and more consistent. Don't (being so new to golf) make yourself miserable already because you will just be even more miserable as time goes on. You must convince yourself you are very fortunate to even be talking 100 at only one month in and never had a lesson.

Your practicing a ton but if your not (for your own swing) swinging correctly you are only practicing poor habits. You are seriously making a major effort and if your spending money at the range virtually every other day including the rounds you pay for every week, you should be able to do away with all that for just one week and have enough to get a lesson or even two.

I don't mean to be rude but your posts sound like your thinking this game can be learned and played well as though its some other type of sport because your athletic. Let me tell you there are tons of athletic people who cant golf to save their lives and tons of good golfers who are not good athletes. Being good at baseball doesn't anyone a good golfer. Slow down and relax and understand this is a process. And unless you are one of those 1-in a million with the god given gift to be good at this game you should expect nothing less than a process. The way your playing in such a short time is great and your very far ahead of the average person already. But understand the real possibility that you may not break 100 again this season. I'm not trying to discourage you. I hope you do great but I think your expectations of how easy you may think your able to become a better, consistent player and what it takes to get there are viewed with an honest but misguided ignorance. I mean hey, maybe your one of the lucky ones and more power to you if that's the case. But don't expect that and then instead of already being frustrated you will be happy to realize how far ahead of most people you already are. Good Luck!

When you compare your first (top) vs. second (good) shot, what is different? Does the fact that you top the first shot get you to slow down and worry about hitting the ball rather than hitting the ball far?

One thing about golf that is counter-intuitive to other sports is that it is often the slower swing, with good tempo and mechanics, that leads to a good (and often long) shot. IME, those that are good at other sports are used to harder, stronger, faster as the path to improvement but, in golf, those things make it harder to strike the ball cleanly, be consistent and get good outcomes.

When you compare your first (top) vs. second (good) shot, what is different? Does the fact that you top the first shot get you to slow down and worry about hitting the ball rather than hitting the ball far?

One thing about golf that is counter-intuitive to other sports is that it is often the slower swing, with good tempo and mechanics, that leads to a good (and often long) shot. IME, those that are good at other sports are used to harder, stronger, faster as the path to improvement but, in golf, those things make it harder to strike the ball cleanly, be consistent and get good outcomes.

Good post I agree, The old saying "in golf, less is more".
And as you mention, tempo is huge and being off with tempo leads to all kinds of mechanical breakdowns. Timing in golf is different too imo. Its easier to react to a moving target like a pitched baseball. Not that its easy and is not what I mean. But just that one can time himself in a reactive action, yet for golf the ball is till and the timing and tempo is all created and not reactive and one the reasons its hard.

The best advice I can tell you is take your time (within reason), think about how you want to exicute the shot. But most importantly keep your head down, eye on the ball and play one shot at a time!

Welcome to THP.

Practice, practice practice. Find a good instructor or youtube videos and groove your swing.

keep in mind that not all golf tips and pointers via videos and written articles are what works or are correct for everyone and anyone. Everyone is a bit different and what works for one persons swing doesn't work for another. There are imo basic fundamentals to follow but after that stuff anyone can be very different from another as it gets more in depth. Imo sacrifice some of that range and round expense your spending anyway and see an instructor. You might even take a step back after doing so but will pay off later. As I said, this game is indeed a process. At least for 99.999 percent of us.

Welcome,
Your only playing for a month and broke 100. It takes most people years before that happens so consider yourself very fortunate instead of frustrated. I don't know if your playing legitimate rules (most beginners don't know or realize many of them) when you broke 100 but even if your several strokes above 100 that is still an extremely fortunate place to be only one month involved. Golf is not easy and one of the things you must not do is get angry and frustrated especially being so new. This game is a process and actually many would say a life long process. We are all (or most) always trying to get better and more consistent. Don't (being so new to golf) make yourself miserable already because you will just be even more miserable as time goes on. You must convince yourself you are very fortunate to even be talking 100 at only one month in and never had a lesson.

Your practicing a ton but if your not (for your own swing) swinging correctly you are only practicing poor habits. You are seriously making a major effort and if your spending money at the range virtually every other day including the rounds you pay for every week, you should be able to do away with all that for just one week and have enough to get a lesson or even two.

I don't mean to be rude but your posts sound like your thinking this game can be learned and played well as though its some other type of sport because your athletic. Let me tell you there are tons of athletic people who cant golf to save their lives and tons of good golfers who are not good athletes. Being good at baseball doesn't anyone a good golfer. Slow down and relax and understand this is a process. And unless you are one of those 1-in a million with the god given gift to be good at this game you should expect nothing less than a process. The way your playing in such a short time is great and your very far ahead of the average person already. But understand the real possibility that you may not break 100 again this season. I'm not trying to discourage you. I hope you do great but I think your expectations of how easy you may think your able to become a better, consistent player and what it takes to get there are viewed with an honest but misguided ignorance. I mean hey, maybe your one of the lucky ones and more power to you if that's the case. But don't expect that and then instead of already being frustrated you will be happy to realize how far ahead of most people you already are. Good Luck!
Yeah basically the rules me and my group play is you can hit a couple balls off of the tee so sometimes I'll make a bad tee shot but can usually put my second straight. So I mean technically I guess I'm not playing the rules strictly but after the drive we play with regular rules.

I appreciate everyone commenting. I think I tend to try to swing too hard at everything so I'm going to try to slow down and think about getting a few lessons. Thanks again everybody!

Yeah basically the rules me and my group play is you can hit a couple balls off of the tee so sometimes I'll make a bad tee shot but can usually put my second straight. So I mean technically I guess I'm not playing the rules strictly but after the drive we play with regular rules.

I don't say this to be mean in any way and assure you that's not my intent. Understand one of the best things about golf is that anyone can play by whatever rules they wish as long as not running a legit handicap or playing competitively. But when one plays golf for all of about one month and states a 97 and also implies frustration as to why he cant do it even better and more consistently, that is saying a heck of a lot. And now that your talking about playing 2 tee shots, this also says a lot and puts thing in better perspective as for where you may really be at. And our opinions and responses would then suit the questions a bit better.

Even if you do this just 6 times, your not just talking about 6 strokes. Any ball that would be lost or out of bounds would be a stroke penalty and also distance penalty so the next tee shot would be hitting a 3rd shot. If that happens 3 of the 6 times the 6 strokes are now really 9 strokes. Then for the few other tee shots you didn't like (so you hit another) but do find you would normally be recovering from those poor situations. Perhaps out of hazards, or pitching out from weeds/trees, or simply left with a ton of yardage due to a shorty tee shot and then have to deal with whatever percentage of those shots may end up poor or in trouble. Whatever the case the point is that it all adds up and pretty fast too. Not to mention other even just basic rules you may or may not be aware of and so that 97 or even 100 may not actually be even close to what it is. I'm not mentioning any of this to call you out. I mention it because (through your posts) you gave me the impression that you find the game easy but still frustrated that you cant play it that well all the time. But your not really scoring that and you really don't know what your actually scoring so its giving you the false illusion that its much easier than it really is and that all you'll need is some advice and/or a quick fix and you'll be shooting legit 97's all the time. Now that you know where your really at you can begin to recognize this is indeed a long process and for all but a select few people is not at all an easy one. However, it can be a fun one and a good one. understand where your at and keep practicing and try to get that lesson or two for now at least.

I don't say this to be mean in any way and assure you that's not my intent. Understand one of the best things about golf is that anyone can play by whatever rules they wish as long as not running a legit handicap or playing competitively. But when one plays golf for all of about one month and states a 97 and also implies frustration as to why he cant do it even better and more consistently, that is saying a heck of a lot. And now that your talking about playing 2 tee shots, this also says a lot and puts thing in better perspective as for where you may really be at. And our opinions and responses would then suit the questions a bit better.

Even if you do this just 6 times, your not just talking about 6 strokes. Any ball that would be lost or out of bounds would be a stroke penalty and also distance penalty so the next tee shot would be hitting a 3rd shot. If that happens 3 of the 6 times the 6 strokes are now really 9 strokes. Then for the few other tee shots you didn't like (so you hit another) but do find you would normally be recovering from those poor situations. Perhaps out of hazards, or pitching out from weeds/trees, or simply left with a ton of yardage due to a shorty tee shot and then have to deal with whatever percentage of those shots may end up poor or in trouble. Whatever the case the point is that it all adds up and pretty fast too. Not to mention other even just basic rules you may or may not be aware of and so that 97 or even 100 may not actually be even close to what it is. I'm not mentioning any of this to call you out. I mention it because (through your posts) you gave me the impression that you find the game easy but still frustrated that you cant play it that well all the time. But your not really scoring that and you really don't know what your actually scoring so its giving you the false illusion that its much easier than it really is and that all you'll need is some advice and/or a quick fix and you'll be shooting legit 97's all the time. Now that you know where your really at you can begin to recognize this is indeed a long process and for all but a select few people is not at all an easy one. However, it can be a fun one and a good one. understand where your at and keep practicing and try to get that lesson or two for now at least.

Well said and why I'll never be called a diplomat!

Welcome to Golf! You are not alone as far as being consistent. That's what we all struggle with. I have been playing for a long time and have the same problems. Hit a good drive then cannot hit my approach shot. It happens to all of us. But the more you play and practice the more consistent you will get. You may be one of those lucky guy's who have natural talent and will learn to be a very good golfer. But most of us will struggle with consistency. So keep playing, hang in there and good luck.!

Welcome to THP! & Golf

Your always going to have the random chunked shot creep in and bite you, it's usually after a great drive and not the average ones. LOL

Practice and practice some more! More importantly have fun and enjoy the game. Concentrate on the good you do in a round not the bad.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back