Draw Flight Without Lower Back Issues

Antihero

Reaction score
Handicap
I can't seem to generate a consistent draw flight unless I rotate considerably and follow through considerably.

When I do this fairly consistently, SS increases and so does carry/total. Distance gains are clearly visible and measurable.

The problem is, my lower back feels it.

So for several rounds afterwards I (largely subconsciously) defensively swing, fail to fully rotate, lose notable yardage, and hit a high cut/fade.

My swing seems to turn into a largely "armsy" swing.

So my questions are:

1. Normal?

2. Matter of conditioning to get past it?

3. Anyone found a fix/mitigation strategy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As a person currently suffering from SI joint pain, I will share what works for me. This brace does wonders for me when the pain gets real (bent over and cry for mommy real), but this brace works good also. Supports the SI joint.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSNW5CJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QV2Y18K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also find my pain starts being hunched over on the putting practice green. For that, suck your belly button to your spine (supports the muscles) and try the reverse hand putting grip (left hand low).

As a person currently suffering from SI joint pain, I will share what works for me. This brace does wonders for me when the pain gets real (bent over and cry for mommy real), but this brace works good also. Supports the SI joint.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSNW5CJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QV2Y18K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also find my pain starts being hunched over on the putting practice green. For that, suck your belly button to your spine (supports the muscles) and try the reverse hand putting grip (left hand low).

That looks like a thigh holster rig.

To the OP, drop your right foot back from the target line a bit. You should be able to get a draw going from just closing your stance.

Is your pain issue directly related to golf?

I'd recommend to get a pro to take a look at your swing and help identify if something is out of whack. Back pain is serious. Don't risk it.

Dave

you can hit a draw without rotating or fully releasing. just need face closed to path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is your pain issue directly related to golf?

in my case, yes. Common ailment after over doing it playing golf. Mostly left si joint.

Buy a Roman Chair and use it. I treat lower backs. When I go to the gym, I almost NEVER see anyone strengthening their paravertebral and extensor low back muscles. Do it now, or be sorry later. And Roman Chair's are cheap, especially compared to surgeries.

+1
f.png

I can't seem to generate a consistent draw flight unless I rotate considerably and follow through considerably.

When I do this fairly consistently, SS increases and so does carry/total. Distance gains are clearly visible and measurable.

The problem is, my lower back feels it.

So for several rounds afterwards I (largely subconsciously) defensively swing, fail to fully rotate, lose notable yardage, and hit a high cut/fade.

My swing seems to turn into a largely "armsy" swing.

So my questions are:

1. Normal?

2. Matter of conditioning to get past it?

3. Anyone found a fix/mitigation strategy?

As one with lower back pain, I use don't even worry about the X-factor. My hips rotate with my shoulders and my right leg fully straightens now, and my left knee goes inward behind the ball. My shoulders rotate to face the target, and I do get a bit of an overswing. I use a strong grip and cup my left wrist at the top. There's a lot of timing involved in the club release. But I just do it. It's an old style swing. If you tense up on this swing you will pay for it with a crappy shot. You have to remain relaxed throughout and tempo has to be good. I watch way too much Couples and Ernie Els for tempo. I play a draw from a slight open stance.

One of the things I have to be careful of is the finish. If I arch my back in the finish I can really tweak it. Once a round I'm okay, but if I start doing it repeatedly, I'm done.

I also use a 40" putter so I don't have to hunch over so far when putting. It's a 2013 Odyssey Tank Versa 2 ball and I use a split grip right hand low but the left hand is not in the "long putter" thumb on top of club position but in the standard grip position so that allows for anchoring the forearm.

Here's a swing to look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX4-HGvMxy0

I've suffered numerous herniations and am apparently still enjoying the benefits of my 1st epidural shots in February.

Since, I've tried to turn my hips more in order to take some pressure off of a too firm coil against a rigid lower half.

I'd never known about the x-factor swing until after my latest injury. Reading of its principles, I guess I've been guilty of incorporating some dangerous technique within my golf swing.

I'm sure my swing is still too upper-body-turn-centric but however much hip turn I've actually added, it has taken some pressure off my lower back compared to the past.

That and I use an ice pack on my back every night, for hours with breaks in between. Since March, I've only not used the ice pack a total of 4 nights. Otherwise, every.. single.. day.

As for draw flight specifically, it's very difficult with a stiff or painful lower back. The hip turn here is key again along with the aforementioned closed stance.

Taking tension of my right elbow at address helps some too.

In hindsight, my OP wasn't ideally worded.

I have come to equate a draw pattern the direct result of a good stock swing.

The reason is because the instructor I've worked with has worked to ingrain this as a standard flight.

He also advocates for a lot of coiling in the backswing and a full follow through with somewhat of a shallower swing path than what many amateurs execute.

Done correctly, ball striking, SS, and carry/total distance all markedly improve.

I see this from Trackman results, Arccos numbers, and just visualization.

It's the low back pain and soreness that are the issue.

I'll play a round after a break and see the return of distance and improved iron striking.

Subsequent rounds in short succession result in a cut/fade pattern, poor iron striking, and an overall decrease in distance. I equate the cut/fade pattern to decreased speed and follow through from my "normal" more aggressive swing. It feels lazy.

What this instructor teaches works. But low back issues counteract it.

So I'm hoping that some sort of conditioning may help. Otherwise, I may need to overhaul my swing.

Buy a Roman Chair and use it. I treat lower backs. When I go to the gym, I almost NEVER see anyone strengthening their paravertebral and extensor low back muscles. Do it now, or be sorry later. And Roman Chair's are cheap, especially compared to surgeries.
Safe to assume thst strengthening these muscles help prevent herniations and other injuries?

I've suffered numerous herniations and am apparently still enjoying the benefits of my 1st epidural shots in February.

Since, I've tried to turn my hips more in order to take some pressure off of a too firm coil against a rigid lower half.

I'd never known about the x-factor swing until after my latest injury. Reading of its principles, I guess I've been guilty of incorporating some dangerous technique within my golf swing.

I'm sure my swing is still too upper-body-turn-centric but however much hip turn I've actually added, it has taken some pressure off my lower back compared to the past.

That and I use an ice pack on my back every night, for hours with breaks in between. Since March, I've only not used the ice pack a total of 4 nights. Otherwise, every.. single.. day.

As for draw flight specifically, it's very difficult with a stiff or painful lower back. The hip turn here is key again along with the aforementioned closed stance.

Taking tension of my right elbow at address helps some too.
I suspect my hips are not as active as they should be.

Need to consciously attempt to get them more engaged.

Antihero: There are numerous causes of back pain. Roman chair encourages movement of the lumbar facet joints and strengthens lower back muscles. I've had dozens of patients reverse years of pain/stiffness by using this. There are hundreds of articles re: Cox Exercises in the rehab/scientific literature. Best of luck.

That is very interesting to me. I am not as young as I use to be, and subsequently can't rotate my hips as much, so I started lifting my left heal on the back stroke. I have been told many times that that will reduce your ball distance, but it seems to work for me. It allows me to rotate my hips more on the back swing and I find I hit it at least 20 yards further. I notice that Sam Snead did that in those videos (lift his left heal on the back stroke). Oh well, different strokes as they say. And as an aside, after 16 days with SI joint pain, and keeping my left leg stiff (bending hurts), I notice my left leg is no longer as strong. Atrophy must happen quick to the muscles.

Consider using a large exercise ball to stretch the vertebraes. My wife wants me to try this. Search for Bob and Brad+exercise ball

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I had spinal fusion surgery, a Laminectomy, and a Synovial cyst removed from my spine a few years ago, and also am "blessed" with arthritis in my lower back and knees. The golf swing can definitely take its toll on the lower back. I find that when its really acting up, using one of those back supports advertised on TV (Bret Favre commercial) can relieve some of the stress. Also using one of the XL Icy Hot patches during the round seems to help. Unfortunately, for me, nothing is better than rest, and taking a few days off between rounds is my best cure.

Good luck.

As another poster stated, a draw is produced when the face is closed relative to the path at impact. That in itself does not produce back pain. The method your instructor is teaching or the way you are implementing it may. Have you spoken to your instructor about the pain you are experiencing? If so, what was his reaction? This will tell you a lot about the level of instruction you are receiving from him. At this point, you need an instructor who understands enough about biomechanics that he can detect whether the current swing you are using is producing an undo amount of strain on your lower back. If it's not, then back strengthing exercises like those suggested with the Roman chair may resolve the problem. On the other hand, even if the strain is not generally excessive, it may be so for you. If that turns out to be true, then you need to modify the swing.

If this is beyond the capabilities of your current instructor, then you need one who has these capabilities. BTW, that doesn't mean your current instructor is a bad instructor, just that you need more than he can provide.

The other approach is to abandon your current swing and adopt one like the square-to-square. But personally, I wouldn't go there without pursuing the other possibilities.

Oh, the lower back. Not something to be trifled with. If it is sore or hurting when you are swinging a certain way, I think you are better off avoiding the movements that cause the pain. Is your pain muscular or disc related? I have a bulging L5 S1 disc that barks at me if I am not careful. Took a lot of work to get to a point where I don't hurt on a daily basis. I can finally golf two days in a row again with little discomfort. But, adjustments needed to be made in both my health regimen as well as compensations in my golf swing.

You shouldn't be locked into a swing style. A good instructor should be able to get you results without you hurting yourself to accomplish them. Not saying your instructor is bad by any means. But, it's worth a discussion with him.

As far as lower back and core strengthening, I cannot recommend DDP Yoga enough. It has helped me immensely.

I am on my 4th week of SI joint issues, and have been feeling better for 2 weeks now. Almost pain free, limiting the meds, accidentally left my back brace at home today and didn't miss it. So question for you pain veterans, how long do I need to wait before playing again?
I am a glutton for punishment, but damn, that pain is for real.
Maybe this weekend, next week, 2 more weeks?
I know you aren't Dr's, but just wondering what your experiences are.

Oh, the lower back. Not something to be trifled with. If it is sore or hurting when you are swinging a certain way, I think you are better off avoiding the movements that cause the pain. Is your pain muscular or disc related? I have a bulging L5 S1 disc that barks at me if I am not careful. Took a lot of work to get to a point where I don't hurt on a daily basis. I can finally golf two days in a row again with little discomfort. But, adjustments needed to be made in both my health regimen as well as compensations in my golf swing.

You shouldn't be locked into a swing style. A good instructor should be able to get you results without you hurting yourself to accomplish them. Not saying your instructor is bad by any means. But, it's worth a discussion with him.

As far as lower back and core strengthening, I cannot recommend DDP Yoga enough. It has helped me immensely.
I think the pain/discomfort is just muscular at this point.

I'd also like to think that with repetition/conditioning I can just adjust/adopt/and hit the ball far.

I just don't know how to determine when it is truly necessary to make (distance losing) adjustments to the swing.

The distance losses from not fully coiling are pronounced. In the neighborhood of 30 yards max. That's even a bit conservative.

Irons somewhere 10-18 yds or so.

Yes these sound like big numbers---but I use Arccos for every shot.

After starting back to actual exercising 3 weeks ago and going 5-6 days a week virtually everything still hurts all the time unless I am moving and when I stop moving I stiffen up much quicker.

I was hoping to see some gains from all the exercise yesterday but all I saw was a much stiffer swing with some weird results at times. But on the plus side all the cardio has made me much more heat tolerant.

So not really any advice, but if you want to not notice your back pain so much try my method and you will have so many other aches the back feels better..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

After starting back to actual exercising 3 weeks ago and going 5-6 days a week virtually everything still hurts all the time unless I am moving and when I stop moving I stiffen up much quicker.

I was hoping to see some gains from all the exercise yesterday but all I saw was a much stiffer swing with some weird results at times. But on the plus side all the cardio has made me much more heat tolerant.

So not really any advice, but if you want to not notice your back pain so much try my method and you will have so many other aches the back feels better..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I get the same way. All sorts of other stiff and achy spots. Makes golf a struggle. I basically stop going to the gym during the golf season to avoid it. Try to do other stuff that doesn't require lifting a lot of weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the pain/discomfort is just muscular at this point.

I'd also like to think that with repetition/conditioning I can just adjust/adopt/and hit the ball far.

I just don't know how to determine when it is truly necessary to make (distance losing) adjustments to the swing.

The distance losses from not fully coiling are pronounced. In the neighborhood of 30 yards max. That's even a bit conservative.

Irons somewhere 10-18 yds or so.

Yes these sound like big numbers---but I use Arccos for every shot.

Go in. See a Dr. Find out exactly what the problem is. Can't combat a problem when you don't know the source. Waiting could just set you back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back