The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our business (construction) anyone who takes a lot of sick days simply doesn't last. That said we tend to pass the same damn sicknesses around all winter long because on a 10-20 man crew somebody is always sick.

A second factor is simply that in construction if you don't work, you don't get paid. No such thing as paid sick days in this industry so anyone with a Mortgage comes to work every day no matter how sick they are.

That's unfortunate. I believe in work - life balance and believe people are highly productive in environments where they can work hard but also take a break when needed to keep mentally fit and prepared.

That's unfortunate. I believe in work - life balance and believe people are highly productive in environments where they can work hard but also take a break when needed to keep mentally fit and prepared.
That does sure sound great and you wouldn't hear any of the workers in this industry argue with you. I'm sure a happy medium would make a world of difference for many.

Construction Industry is basically just a giant meat grinder. Faster deadlines, less money, more competition are all leading to worse and worse working conditions. I don't recommend it to anyone.

It's a different animal in the trades world dude. Construction can be brutal on the mind and body. Add in pressure for staying on schedule and u dear budget and it get silly at times. Sick days aren't the norm, and paid vacations aren't either for the small companies. If you stay home so does your pay.

You've never skipped out on work to play 18?

And if it's a common occurrence then it's a management problem and not an employee problem.

Absolutely have why because I can't schedule the days off I need/want to take off. Me switching days or taking a day off isn't as easy as asking for a day like most even if I have the time. Minimum manning doesn't allow it to happen and everyone in my Dept uses sic days as vacation and this is the only job I've had that is that way.

It's a different animal in the trades world dude. Construction can be brutal on the mind and body. Add in pressure for staying on schedule and u dear budget and it get silly at times. Sick days aren't the norm, and paid vacations aren't either for the small companies. If you stay home so does your pay.

My dad was a trim carpenter for 40 years until the mortgage crisis and Great Recession sent him to early retirement. He made us focus on education because he didn't want us to have his life. Killed me to watch him come home everyday destroyed by the rigors of the job.

What are weekends for? Do people really need more than 2 out of every 7 days off plus 2+ more days off per month to stay mentally fit? (Im not speaking of being injured or ill)

Average PTO at 24 days and assume that there are 4 weeks per month that means 10 days off each month (one third of the month) to be mentally fit. Sounds like a lot to me.

Everybody is different though.

Last edited:
The little man went to bed with a fever last night. He slept like a champ but I feel like I didn't sleep a wink worrying about him.

What are weekends for? Do people really need more than 2 out of every 7 days off plus 2+ more days off per month to stay mentally fit? (Im not speaking of being injured or ill)

Average PTO at 24 days and assume that there are 4 weeks per month that means 10 days off each month (one third of the month) to be mentally fit. Sounds like a lot to me.

Everybody is different though.

We've got a documented flex time policy at work that I take advantage of - though I'm completely aware that this is a luxury that a lot of people don't have. So, if I don't have any meetings, I'll block off my calendar a few days in advance and get out for a round and make up the time later. I'm actually doing this and playing w/ arydolphin this morning. But this is less about mental fitness than optimizing my time - rather play a round midweek and work a few hours on the weekend than standing on a course and waiting around for an extra hour or two during busy times.

I honestly find breaking up my week will usually result in me being more productive.

The little man went to bed with a fever last night. He slept like a champ but I feel like I didn't sleep a wink worrying about him.

Hope it passes quickly, and you're able to sneak some extra sleep in.

I know others in the city suffered the worse of these floods, but man I wish school wouldn't close. I understand transportation and logistic issues, but these kids are going to drive me insane today

I haven't taken a sick day since I graduated college. Luckily both jobs I have had afford me the ability to work from home, so if I am not feeling well, I will just work at home as to not get everyone else sick. At the end of the day, my work doesn't go away if I am sick, so I would prefer to just work as long as I am not dying, but I agree about going into the office and getting everyone else sick.

Why do young people always get sick and can't make it to work? And not even young, this guy is 30 years old.

Effing ridiculous. Now I have to get up early.

Interesting you brought up the age thing. We have an open sick day policy here. You're sick, you take a sick day. Doesn't affect your vacation days or anything else. You have a sick kiddo, stay home with them. We have the same employees, each year, that lead the company in sick time taken. 90% of them are the younger employees. We have one already that has taken 9 sick days this year and we're only 4 months in. Also interesting enough is that most of the sick time users are on the consultant level and not management. Managers and above might combine for a few days in a given year. Is it a youth thing? Is it a work ethic thing? Is it a position thing? Probably all the above.

Been losing weight for the past week and checked out my Bmi. I am classified as obese. I am sickened and angry at the thought of this word. Motivation has now gone through the roof. Any THPers that know me- for how short I am I don't think I am obese

Been losing weight for the past week and checked out my Bmi. I am classified as obese. I am sickened and angry at the thought of this word. Motivation has now gone through the roof. Any THPers that know me- for how short I am I don't think I am obese

BMI is a joke. The only way to know where you really stand body weight wise is through a dexa scan or bodpod to get body fat numbers. Might look into that dude. I am thinking about doing it soon. FYI if you have any questions feel free to reach out... I've been at this for awhile

Dont go by BMI it will say you are obese if you have any real muscle mass. it says i am 6'2 212 lbs it says i should be 185 is normal for me. i was 185 when i wrestled in high school at 7% bodyfat

Damnit, just got the call from the Doctor the spot on my right hand (that looked like a wart) is Cancer and even though she literally dug the whole thing out and left a hole .50" across it will have to be redone because there is the concern it is deeper or wider than she took.

She has froze this spot at least 4 times in the last few years and just now decided to check it. Well they are not doing anymore until after the B.H. Event, I don't want to have a hand with who knows how many sutures in it messing with that weekend. Get checked friends....

BMI is a joke and no real reflection of anything. Need a dexascan to get accurate and preferably one that does bone density to get a true reading.

PTO is a blessing and a curse, depending on how the company sets it up. I have worked for some companies that combine EVERYTHING...vacation, sick days, personal days and holidays into PTO. So while 24 may sound like a lot on the surface, you take just the major holidays New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, that accounts for 6, so now you're down to 18. Say you have 10 sick days (not just you being sick, but factor in Dr's appointments and kids being sick) now you're down to 8. So that's less than two weeks of vacation a year, and that's without taking an extra day say after Thanksgiving or before or after Christmas.(OR THP EVENTS!! :bananadance:)

I think having the flexibility of using one large bank of time as you see fit is a good thing, as not everybody celebrates the same holidays. But I think companies have shrunk those days over the years when they used to be counted separately. just my opinion.

Damnit, just got the call from the Doctor the spot on my right hand (that looked like a wart) is Cancer and even though she literally dug the whole thing out and left a hole .50" across it will have to be redone because there is the concern it is deeper or wider than she took.

She has froze this spot at least 4 times in the last few years and just now decided to check it. Well they are not doing anymore until after the B.H. Event, I don't want to have a hand with who knows how many sutures in it messing with that weekend. Get checked friends....

Jim,
Golf events come and go, cancer and your health are no joke. There will always be another event, seriously consider changing your mind.

Thanks guys. Glad I'm not going crazy..when I saw what I saw my jaw just dropped and couldn't believe it.
Still motivated though

PTO is a blessing and a curse, depending on how the company sets it up. I have worked for some companies that combine EVERYTHING...vacation, sick days, personal days and holidays into PTO. So while 24 may sound like a lot on the surface, you take just the major holidays New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, that accounts for 6, so now you're down to 18. Say you have 10 sick days (not just you being sick, but factor in Dr's appointments and kids being sick) now you're down to 8. So that's less than two weeks of vacation a year, and that's without taking an extra day say after Thanksgiving or before or after Christmas.

I think having the flexibility of using one large bank of time as you see fit is a good thing, as not everybody celebrates the same holidays. But I think companies have shrunk those days over the years when they used to be counted separately. just my opinion.
I get 4 weeks (vacation and sick time) plus 10 holidays. Not allowed to bank it at all. That is a whole month which to me is a lot. Keep in mind there are only 22-23 work days in a month. We have people that wait until December then never come back until the new year. I personally am not a fan of that as a few people doing that screws the rest of us for that month. It's a catch 22 employees need time but there is a HUGE cost to the business when they are out and it is not just laying for that employee to "not work".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jim,
Golf events come and go, cancer and your health are no joke. There will always be another event, seriously consider changing your mind.
It is not a critical thing or life threatening, I asked the doc and she said a couple of weeks does not matter. Thanks for the thought JB, I appreciate it.

Health first, Jim. Whatever it takes.

I'll be thinking about you.

PTO is a blessing and a curse, depending on how the company sets it up. I have worked for some companies that combine EVERYTHING...vacation, sick days, personal days and holidays into PTO. So while 24 may sound like a lot on the surface, you take just the major holidays New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, that accounts for 6, so now you're down to 18. Say you have 10 sick days (not just you being sick, but factor in Dr's appointments and kids being sick) now you're down to 8. So that's less than two weeks of vacation a year, and that's without taking an extra day say after Thanksgiving or before or after Christmas.(OR THP EVENTS!! :bananadance:)

Every company I have ever worked with did not include Christmas/Thanksgiving as part of PTO. In fact most dont. Hospitality and some retail are about it since offices are closed.

However lets assume that is how a company operates.
That leaves 18 days and 2 days off every week.

To me that is plenty of time off of work. As I said, everybody is different, but I find that as generations come and go, the amount of work done, appears (important word in this sentence) goes with it. All of this mentally fit stuff and this and that to me is phooey. Thats exactly what Saturdays and Sundays were brought on for.

I dont expect people to work the same way as all of the others...But if they dont want to, quit demanding more ****.

yeah, so that's 30 days, if my math isn't off. That's a very good amount I feel. That's what I had at Choice. But there are a lot of companies offering the 21 to 24 total for everything from what I see and hear from friends.

Dude you're not obese, that is ridiculous. I'm considered obese where I'm at and i lost 25 lbs since we golfed last.

Take care of yourself Jim eff cancer and don't mess with your health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back