When is an ace an ace?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Read a decent article. Post up your thoughts? Which "rules" that this guy lays out do you disagree with?

I think I fully disagree with 4 and 5.

I think 8, 11, and 16 have huge possibilites. On 8, I'm not sure. I know you can turn in a score for a 9 hole round towards your handicap, but does it have to be the front or back 9? Maybe it does. I'm not sure. On 11, whether you're writing down your score after each hole or keeping it in your head matters not. If you've played by the RoG up to that point and you recount your strokes accurately to record the score for reporting purposes, I'm not sure why it shouldn't count. On 16, I'm fairly sure you can borrow a playing partner's club as long as your total does not exceed 14 clubs between the two of you.

What're your thoughts?

https://www.golf.com/golf/2019/07/02/21-times-hole-in-one-doesnt-count/

Even though my only HOI is on a par 3 course, I can see why all listed can reasonably negate a presumed ace.

I honestly couldn't summon the energy to dispute nor confirm any as I'm sure to find arguments for or against, reasonable.

Wishy-washy, I know. But there it is anyway.

Even though my only HOI is on a par 3 course, I can see why all listed can reasonably negate a presumed ace.

I honestly couldn't summon the energy to dispute nor confirm any as I'm sure to find arguments for or against, reasonable.

Wishy-washy, I know. But there it is anyway.

Eh, some of those are 100% indisputable.

Imo only, a HOI means only one shot. Not the second after a penalty nor a mulli. Any second shot imo is a great shot but still not a HOI.

Par 3 course Im justy not sure.

But in the end any person knows what they did and how they did it. I say …...just say and feel what you wish.

I read that article yesterday, and although I agree with much of it, some I don't. Personally, if or when I get a HIO, I will absolutely not give a rat's backside if it was during a "legitimate, law-abiding round that the USGA would approve of counting toward your handicap". So for instance,if I were to be playing in a THP event, and we were playing a scramble, or other format that wouldn't be used for handicap, and I hit the tee shot on a par-3 that goes in, HOLE IN ONE!! Same with casual rounds, so what if I took a mulligan on number 3, or a gimme on #5, if I get a HOI on #6, and it was my one and only shot on that hole, it counts in my book.

Just my opinion though, and so far it hasn't been an issue, since I've never gotten a HOI ....... yet.

Back